• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Beaten By Mob, In Critical Condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Mobile police need your
help to catch a mob that
beat Matthew Owens so badly that he's in
critical condition.

According to police, Owens fussed at some kids
playing basketball in the middle of Delmar Drive
about 8:30 Saturday night. They say the kids left
and a group of adults returned, armed with
everything but the kitchen sink.

Police tell News 5 the suspects used chairs, pipes
and paint cans to beat Owens.

Owens' sister, Ashley Parker, saw the attack. "It
was the scariest thing I have ever witnessed."
Parker says 20 people, all African American,
attacked her brother on the front porch of his
home, using "brass buckles, paint cans and
anything they could get their hands on."

Police will only say "multiple people" are
involved.

What Parker says happened next could make the
fallout from the brutal beating even worse. As
the attackers walked away, leaving Owen
bleeding on the ground, Parker says one of them
said "Now thats justice for Trayvon." Trayvon
Martin is the unarmed teenager police say was
shot and killed February 26 by neighborhood
watch captain George Zimmerman in Samford,
Florida.

Police canvassed the area, but did not find any
suspects

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/23/man-beaten-mob-critical-condition-ar-3659891/

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Mobile Police?

starshiptroopers+%25282%2529.jpg

Oh, Mobile, Alabama.

For reals though.

As far as the Trayvon comments. I mean, mob mentality and mob rationalization.

But, I'm curious to know what "fussing" entailed.

Did his sister say he was simply "fussing?" Or was it, "Hey n*ggers! Get off my lawn!" Not saying that it would be a justification by any means, just curious at what incites a mob beating.

SmokyDave

If true (the Trayvon bit), I can see this leading to further escalation. No good for anybody and certainly as far removed from 'justice' as you can get.

LordCanti

If true (the Trayvon bit), I can see this leading to further escalation. No good for anybody and certainly as far removed from 'justice' as you can get.

Just wait till he's either acquitted of all charges, or he pleas down to something like negligent homicide.

People are going to go mental.

Sickening. Using one tragedy to start another is an endless cycle of ignorance. And before a defense force jumps in, nothing you say is worth a 20-man armed beating.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
But, I'm curious to know what "fussing" entailed.

Did his sister say he was simply "fussing?" Or was it, "Hey n*ggers! Get off my lawn!" Not saying that it would be a justification by any means, just curious at what incites a mob beating.

That is a crucial piece of info that we will never know. I mean on one side you will have the sister's version of it and on the other you have the attackers repeating what their kids told them that the victim said. Whatever the fuck he said, he sure didn't deserve what he got. Some people will never understand equal retribution.

Those attackers deserve some time. Stories like this are just animalistic, how can people participate in shit like this?

BradleyUK

All this shit could of been avoided if the police acted fast on Trayvon Martin case.

Now media will do all kind of spin on this!

Where's Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Bet they won't discuss this, even though they say they are for racial equality.

Oh that's right. They're racists pricks who only stand up for money.

EYEL1NER

Who the hell whoops someone's ass with paint cans? I mean, I guess it could be a pretty good weapon, but I don't think it would be the first thing I would grab on the way out the door.

Paint can busts open and then what? Your outta paint! Like it wouldn't be too hard for the police to finger who did it then too. "Gary, what color did you say the victim was? French Mauve? Look at that house down the road there...tell me what color those newly painted awnings are."

Anyway, absolutely ridiculous story. Some fucking people... *shakes head*

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
That is a crucial piece of info that we will never know. I mean on one side you will have the sister's version of it and on the other you have the attackers repeating what their kids told them that the victim said. Whatever the fuck he said, he sure didn't deserve what he got. Some people will never understand equal retribution.

Those attackers deserve some time. Stories like this are just animalistic, how can people participate in shit like this?

More witnesses then the sister...
At first, when he heard his friend at the door, the man thought it was a joke. ”Then I saw about 10 to 15 people from little kids and women with dresses to adult men, just flooding onto the property, surrounding the car, hollering and screaming,” he says. “And then I heard Matthew saying, ‘ I’m sorry, man, I’m sorry. I’m sorry.’ And then, the next thing, before I could get to the door, because we have it all deadbolted and everything, and before I could get it open, I heard all .

ChiTownBuffalo

themadcowtipper

What was he apologizing for?

From the various article I think the kids where playing BBall blocking the road and fussed at them. When you are being beat like that it is instinct. He could have been saying sorry for anything. The death of George Washington perhaps....

SmokyDave

Supposedly the altercation began when he asked some kids to stop playing basketball outside his house (or keep the noise down).

TBH though, when you've a 20-strong angry mob outside your house, I'm guessing you'd apologise for anything. Fucking cowards.

Probably for whatever he said to evoke them to beat the shit out of him. He was trying to pity his way out of it but they were too busy raging to care.

before I could get to the door, because we have it all deadbolted and everything, and before I could get it open, I heard all .

More like that dude was too scared to open the damn door. Once he saw 20 people running up in the lawn, he was just like..sorry bro. Obviously, this neighborhood had some tension built up.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Where's Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Bet they won't discuss this, even though they say they are for racial equality.

Oh that's right. They're racists pricks who only stand up for money.

Truth this is.

Damn, that "That's justice trayvon" comment really bothered me (if true).

Scary times. I don't want to see fellow black people going apeshit on anyone other than Zimmerman himself.

Scary times. I don't want to see fellow black people going apeshit on anyone other than Zimmerman himself.

Exactly, that quote just bugs the hell out of me. And it gives vocal idiots on the other side of the fence "ammo". No matter what that man said he did not deserve a beat down by even one person.

I keep trying to tell myself that people will be ignorant, violent etc no matter their color and it has no bearing on me but I can't help thinking "please don't be black" when I see certain thread titles. :/

themadcowtipper

Going after Zimmerman would not solve anything. That just leads to more tension and violence.

I mean I get pissed when I see kids playing basketball in the parking lot of my building because they set up the fucking basket about 15 feet from my car when they could play MUCH further back with more room.

But I don't say shit because it's not worth it. Fuck it. I'll just move my car and go about my day.

Bunch of fucking idiots. Going to beat a man down because he asked some kids to keep it down/don't play there.

Ugh.

ChiTownBuffalo

I mean, like I said. Depends on what he said to those kids.

It doesn't justify a mob beating. But, mobs don't start because of "That man told us to stop playing basketball in the street."

SmokyDave

It doesn't justify a mob beating. But, mobs don't start because of "That man told us to stop playing basketball in the street."

This mob sounds like it was just looking for an excuse to beat someone.

It really doesn't matter what he said to the kids. At all.

Rootbeer

Banned
sister should have whipped out her cellphone and recorded that shit. Would have gotten a lot more attention for the incident. I hope they are all caught. But since I'm sure they won't, I hope they each get individually beaten by a group of 20 people someday. Anyone who would participate in a mob beating for such a petty act deserves no better.

themadcowtipper

MOB DEFENSE FORCE INBOUND

Just F.Y.I. I was banned for saying somthing similar.

Shocking as it may be, some people use any excuse to fight, riot, loot, or watch the world burn.

methane47

They were only standing there ground as the things he said to the kids made them feel threatened.

(This is terrible and sadening)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom