• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei/Gust news: Ciel no Surge profitable, Gust mad profitable, more to come

From Andriasang, lock if a duplicate thread.

Tecmo-Koei's given their first investor briefing since acquiring Gust, and they've gone ahead and said just why they did that:

http://andriasang.com/con0zc/tecmo_koei_earnings_slides/

Surge Concerto ciel nosurge represents Gust's first game as a Tecmo Koei subsidiary. It was briefly mentioned in Tecmo Koei's earnings briefing yesterday, with the company [saying] that it's performing well through repeat orders.

Perhaps more important than actual sales figures, the company said that the game is forming a new user group that differs from Tecmo Koei's traditional fan-base.

Gust has a high 35% profit margin, Tecmo Koei revealed during the briefing. Recent figures include 486 million yen operating profit on 1,251 million yen sales.

Now, compared to a lot of companies, those are somewhat smallish numbers - at current exchange rates that's about $6 million in operating profit on $15 million-ish in sales.

But that kind of profit margin is absolutely bonkers, no matter what the volume is. Clearly keeping things lean (the core Gust development staff is only around 15 to 20 people) and working on constantly iterating and improving product has paid off for Gust in spades.

For those who need a reminder, Gust is the company responsible for the Atelier and Ar Tonelico series of games; their third Playstation 3 Atelier offering is coming out in America in a few weeks.

For now it sounds like T-K will just let Gust keep doin' their thing, since messing with them would probably screw up their profit margins. They have another PS3 Atelier project landing this June, and then nothing announced after that (though Gust traditionally plays releases close to the chest, so anything currently in the works won't be revealed for a while).

In other T-K news, there'll be more Dead or Alive (surprise), they're keen on more teamups like Pokemon x Nobunaga, and apparently their download business is doing really well for itself. Also they more or less confirm they'll be releasing WiiU software. Ninja Gaiden is conspicuously subdued aside from a mention on one slide. :x

Still, great news for Gust, and hopefully T-K lets them continue to do their own thing and doesn't try to flog their brands too hard.

As an aside: as an old Gust hand I can't help but notice the talk of "franchises", like they're talking about more than just Atelier or Surge Concerto (and Namco likely owns the ArTon IP in part, so I doubt we'll see any more use of that name). I actually wonder if T-K wants to reach into the back-catalog and dust off a few of Gust's "experimental era" IPs, see if they'll do better this time around? It might be cool to see another shot taken at Noir Yeux Noire (黒い瞳のノア) or Robin Lloyd (ロビン・ロイドの冒険).

OceanBlue

Additionally, Tecmo Koei hopes to make social games based off Gust IPs.
If they do this right, they can make tons of money off of this. Aren't social mobile phone games really popular right now in Japan?

If they do this right, they can make tons of money off of this. Aren't social mobile phone games really popular right now in Japan?

Very, very much so, although how they're going to be monetized is now kind of in flux, what with complete gacha being effectively illegalized.

We already know of one game coming, though - GREE announced an Atelier phone game based on the Salburg setting of the Atelier IP. I'm not sure if it's out yet or not. (EDIT: Looks like it is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.gree.android.pf.greeapp46453)

Verelios

Well, Gust games are pretty much all pretty basic, but I still love them and end up getting the vast majority of their releases. However anyone wants to take that is fine by me. Feels good to hear they're doing well.

*I am not in the Icecream faction.

Wait, this game is out?

I thought it was launching in June or something @_@

Atelier Ayesha is coming out in June in Japan. Ciel no Surge released a few weeks ago, to kind of spotty user reviews in some places (largely due to server issues - the game uses online connectivity heavily) but apparently strong sales.

kuroshiki

Glad surge concerto is doing well. What I heard, the game is receiving very positive reviews all around in Japan.

What I don't understand is the reason why they are releasing Orochi 2 for PSP, not Vita.

Really glad to see Ciel no Surge making some profits; numbers were above expectations (33k in its first week) and even though I didn't like the concept behind that, I hope that this will mean more traditional support for Vita by Gust, i.e. Atelier, Mana Khemia, Ar Tonelico.

But I read on GAF developers should all go to 3DS for safe profits ;)

I think they could port PS3 Atelier games to PSV to capitilize on lack of releases from other publishers at this time.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Really glad to see Ciel no Surge making some profits; numbers were above expectations (33k in its first week) and even though I didn't like the concept behind that, I hope that this will mean more traditional support for Vita by Gust, i.e. Atelier, Mana Khemia, Ar Tonelico.

Remember that to retail sales you have to add digital sales(i have no retail games, only digital purchases) ;)

Coxy

As an aside: as an old Gust hand I can't help but notice the talk of "franchises", like they're talking about more than just Atelier or Surge Concerto (and Namco likely owns the ArTon IP in part, so I doubt we'll see any more use of that name).

I dunno about that, bamco and T-K are BFFs right now and are collaborating on tons of stuff, thought is seems they have plans for other types of games within the surge concerto universe too. I'm hoping the other franchises to be looked at include Mana Khemia

Durante

Gust almost exclusively makes really smart decisions, from the very start of the PS3 generation. (When some people lambasted them for putting games on the platform despite their size)

I guess it also helps that they make fantastic games. Go Gust!

Ravage

T-K not interfering with Gust's work is the best possible outcome for everyone. Great news for the developer of my favorite series this gen :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gust almost exclusively makes really smart decisions, from the very start of the PS3 generation. (When some people lambasted them for putting games on the platform despite their size)

I guess it also helps that they make fantastic games. Go Gust!

Yep, it's been really cool to see them really evolve over this generation too. Their games look better with each new one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yep, it's been really cool to see them really evolve over this generation too. Their games look better with each new one.

They really have, I mean rorona looked like an upscaled ps2 game, then totori comes along and it's like WOW FUCKING EYE CANDY then meruru and I'm like wow it's even nicer... and now Ayesha....

Gust is like the most visually improved studio over time.

It would be nice if the most prolific jrpg developer didn't make things that look like embarrassing crap. But I guess thats thier niche.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
It would be nice if the most prolific jrpg developer didn't make things that look like embarrassing crap. But I guess thats thier niche.

KVXO9.gif

Gust is one of my favorite developers. Good for them.

good for gust, they deserve it.
I love them they improved in each iteration. and their game wasn't "embarrassing crap"

their next title after ayesha probably a main surge concerto console rpg.

Don't worry, neither of them will end up like Mistwalker. It's not exactly hard when you are actually producing great games that sell well.
You mean cheap games that pander and sell to a niche audience. Mistwalkers games sold as good or better. They just had actual effort and production values behind them, so they cost a bit more to make. A shame, I was hoping Mistwalker would make a good game after their 2 meh ones. Maybe the Last Story will be good.

Ravage

You mean cheap games that pander and sell to a niche audience.

And how exactly is selling to a niche audience a bad thing? Every Atelier game this gen (i've only played the PS3 games) is nothing but pure quality and Gust is smart enough to balance their budget according to the size of their intended audience. This is something enviable to say the least. Sakuguchi learnt it the hard way, hence the iOS games...

Mistwalkers games sold as good or better. They just had actual effort and production values behind them, so they cost a bit more to make.

I'm sure you know this, but in order to sell well you actually have to sell above expectation which is of course related to budget. Something none of the Mistwalker games have done despite their production budget and marketing support.

A shame, I was hoping Mistwalker would make a good game after their 2 meh ones. Maybe the Last Story will be good.

I have it in my backlog right now. Heard some negative feedback from my friends but at least the visuals and art direction appeals to me this time.

I have always been curios about Gust games and what kind of games they are.

Their Atelier games are effectively one part JRPG, one part crafting simulation. They're pretty unique and there isn't a whole lot like them on the market today. Gust made a shift to the PS3 around 2009, and have improved significantly since Atelier Rorona, their first PS3 release. (They're still hampered by their stubborn insistence on rendering at full 1080p, but that's almost a different thread.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Great stuff! I hope they continue doing well with their future stuff and that it still gets brought over in a timely manner. Looking forward to grabbing Meruru soon and digging into that and see all the improvements over Totori.

(They're still hampered by their stubborn insistence on rendering at full 1080p, but that's almost a different thread.)

Well I certainly appreciate the fact that they have some standards for their work and so does my 1080p monitor!

Acosta

Gust is awesome.

I'm playing Atelier Totori I swear my heart warms up each time I do. There is something incredibly joyful in their games. I doubt I will finish it before Meruru, but I'm going to buy it for sure.

I just completed my Ar Tonelico trilogy (one of the best videogame soundtracks, ever), I still have to complete the first one, but I bought Qoga before it became too expensive so I could have the whole series.

I wish we got a Ciel No Surge localization, even if was only digital.

Durante

Their Atelier games are effectively one part JRPG, one part crafting simulation. They're pretty unique and there isn't a whole lot like them on the market today. Gust made a shift to the PS3 around 2009, and have improved significantly since Atelier Rorona, their first PS3 release. (They're still hampered by their stubborn insistence on rendering at full 1080p, but that's almost a different thread.)
NO. No no no no no no no no no no.

They are not "hampered" in the least by providing some of the best IQ in the console space. In fact, it's a huge plus. To me, it makes their games some of the most beautiful on PS3.

I see that Rahxephon91 is still his bitter self and enjoys hating on games he hasn't played.

Gust is awesome.

I'm playing Atelier Totori I swear my heart warms up each time I do. There is something incredibly joyful in their games. I doubt I will finish it before Meruru, but I'm going to buy it for sure.
I just finished Totori a week or so ago actually. Now I'm going for the true ending with NG+. And I almost never replay a game. It's such a wonderful game.

And how exactly is selling to a niche audience a bad thing?
When it's the moe audience. Everything is wrong. I would be willing to try a Gust game if their stuff didn't look incredibly disgusting and pandery.

Every Atelier game this gen (i've only played the PS3 games) is nothing but pure quality
Sure they have. Too bad their art and subject material looks like everything that's wrong with Japanese media. Wouldn't touch their work with a 10 foot stick.

Sakuguchi learnt it the hard way, hence the iOS games...
At least he didn't make games that would embarrass me if played in front of non anime fans or well just normal people in general.

I'm sure you know this, but in order to sell well you actually have to sell above expectation which is of course related to budget. Something none of the Mistwalker games have done despite their production budget and marketing support.
Blue Dragon did above expectations in Japan. And LO probably did a million. And regardless if they failed, they are more worthwhile games then Gust will ever produce.

I see that Rahxephon91 is still his bitter self and enjoys hating on games he hasn't played.
Bitter? Thats a new one. About what? That a genre I like has a lion share of it's output this gen look like embarrassing trash. Your right, I won't play their games, because just looking at the covers disgusts me.

Riposte

I feel like if you dismiss a game by its cover that should be proportional to how much you talk about a game (especially in a thread about that game). Otherwise you come off as a raving lunatic.

Durante

I find it remarkable how you can know so much about how "disgusting" the Atelier games are without ever having played one. Please share more of your insights with us.

zoku88

Cool, don't play them. You're not in the niche they're targeting. Do you complain about every game that targets a niche you're not a part of?

Anyway, I should actually try to replay Totori again. I'm so sucky with time management that I get the bad ending both times I've played :( I simulataneously hate it and love it (more or less, loved it until it got to the end, haha.)

At least the next one won't have time management, I guess.

I feel like if you dismiss a game by its cover that should be proportional to how much you talk about a game (especially in a thread about that game). Otherwise you come off as a raving lunatic.
Nothing unusual for me.

I find it remarkable how you can know so much about how "disgusting" the Atelier games are without ever having played one. Please share more of your insights with us.
Don't have to play one to look at the art and see what it's going for.

Cool, don't play them. You're not in the niche they're targeting. Do you complain about every game that targets a niche you're not a part of?
When it's something that gives a bad rep to something I like. Yes I do. Like moe with anime.

survivor

Banned
It's cool to know that all of Rahxephon91 complains are about the cover of the game. Hope he gives us a more detailed impressions about the game whenever he feels like playing it which is never

pretty funny though how he keeps moaning about "pandering" while sporting that avatar.

DMC4 Lady kind of sucks, but at least she dosent look like a little girl. I was going to change to a Madoka avatar, but I did'nt want people thinking I like moe(even though Maddoka was good).

Top Bottom