• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's nostalgia! Tech from 80's, 90's, early 2000's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, stuff that you probably won't see nowadays what with these kids and their smartphones and cloud storage and social media and whatever.

Let me start off with the 56k modem sound. Such wonderful memories. Also I'm surprised that people actually had postpaid/subscription for that - I thought prepaid service matched it more.

talkboy.jpg

Probably my favorite Christmas gift ever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also, I remember submitting computer work and assignments in floppy disks.

Floppy-Disc.jpg

When I look at my CPU today I kinda miss having a floppy drive.

Ultima_5

appleiiplusac.jpg

We have one of these bad boys sitting under a pile of stuff in my garage. I've been trying to talk my dad into helping me clear it out for awhile now so I can play with it.

pr0cs

280px-Amiga500_system.jpg

Soooo many good memories, I just wish Commodore didn't fuck it up, I wonder what technology would be like now if the Amiga really took off like it should have.

Hackbert

every kid in my street got a freaking (s)NES for christmas.. but i don´t know to this day why,
but i got a
MD2_sega_megadrive2.jpg

At first i was shocked, cause i did´nt know Sega lol.. but after a few minutes of Sonic i was hooked. Consolero for life ^^

Also i can´t remember the year, but my dad brought home from work sometimes a very old Thinkpad with Win 3.1 .. My first contact with PCs.
Funny to think, that i learned to use one with a laptop rather than a desktop. That came years later.
tp755c.jpg

Nice thread. I love the look of alot of old tech. My Dad was thankfully a bit of a technic nerd himself.. interested at least.

dsc-1108_12482.jpg
to this day i have and use his old Stereo Deck ^^

Jobiensis

Also i can´t remember the year, but my dad brought home from work sometimes a very old Thinkpad with Win 3.1 .. My first contact with PCs.
Funny to think, that i learned to use one with a laptop rather than a desktop. That came years later.
tp755c.jpg

That is not Windows 3.1

Parent's basement when I was a kid
AbHovl.jpg

Big ass winchester removable hard drives, line printers, paper tape, those were the days.

bengraven

tp755c.jpg

My mom bought one of these for waaaaaaaaay too much at a pawn shop in the late 90s. It was completely wiped clean except the OS - no programs except those necessary to run Windows. I had to steal Paint, Word, and a JPG viewer from a library PC. No CD drive. Nothing.

But because it was so bare I could use it as a word processor. Wrote my first novel, "Self/Inflicted" on it during a very emo period of the year 2000. lol

I use this for listening to my iPhone in my car : /

Yep, I used one of these religiously with my iPods until I accidently left it in the sun one hot Florida summer day a couple years ago.

Thankfully our new car has an output port.

GhaleonEB

printerdotmatrix.jpg

Dot matrix printers. I really loved the sound those things made, especially the fast ones.

I also enjoyed tearing off and playing with the strips of paper with the holes on the sides of each sheet. My mom would do a big project, and I'd have strips 20 feet long to play with.

LQX

My beloved walking robot my grandpa bought for me...
saturnrobotf.jpg

Popeye mini arcade. I actually sold this thing for like $10. Its now worth hundreds.
popeye+1.jpg

Also this...
100-things-in-80s-video-games-driving-simulator.jpg

I now Feel like an idiot for not holding on to the toys I had as a youth.

Psion 3 was so future in the past, exceedingly handy thing to tote and these 3D Tomy things that looked like this:

Tomy-3DPlanetZeon.jpg

And played like this:

TomyThunderingTurbosScreen.jpg

My eyeball

I have this in my basement right now! I'm putting batteries in it tonight.

Edit:

Popeye mini arcade. I actually sold this thing for like $10. Its now worth hundreds.
popeye+1.jpg

I think I still have a Donkey Kong Jr. cabinet that looks like this. I haven't seen it in years though...

bengraven

Man, this thread is nostalgiaing me. I'm so fucking nostalgiaed by some of these old LCD games.

LOL OMFG!!!

I just bought an external 1-terabyte drive for $99 the other day.

And if you went back 15 years and told someone that, they'd be like "That's too much space! Games are only 100-200 meg in size on average! You don't need that much!"

Just like when someone in 1999 told me "I have an entire harddrive full of music I ripped on it...ONE...FULL....GIG" and I whewed, "That's a LOT of music".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom