• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Pastry

Banned
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ayl08tLmzo

CGgI7.png

Pocket Planes is Nimblebit's (the developer of iOS hit Tiny Tower) next game. Pocket Planes will be released on the app store at midnight on June 14th in your timezone. The game is free-to-play with IAP, bux, which can get you new airplanes, airports, etc.. Tiny Tower was well balanced and IAP was not necessary so expect Pocket Planes to be the same.

In Pocket Planes you take control of your own fledgling airline in a region of your choosing. From there you get to expand your airline however you would like. Your airline can specialize in short-hauls with cargo, become a long-distance airline for passengers or any combination you would like. As you earn more bux you will get to unlock larger more efficient planes, airports and parts. Flights occur in real-time so you will schedule your flights and receive notifications as they reach their destinations.

wCbPg.jpg
HfIwM.jpg

Pocket Planes will also incorporate a new feature called "Flight Crews". Your crew, in our case #GafAir, will compete in timed-events in order to win prizes like unique aircraft (as seen in the image below). So far the only example given of a possible event is for most flights completed by a flight crew during a period. All you have to do is input #GafAir as your crew tag and you will automatically be counted towards the crew for the events.

rBrq1.png

iTunes link (once released): http://itunes.apple.com/app/pocket-planes/id491994942

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
156 floors in Tiny Tower. I hope this is more of an actual game, and less of a "thing that I do", that Tiny Tower quickly became.

Spy

Never played Pocket Frogs or Tiny Tower but will give this a try. Are there ads since it's free?

senador

Banned
I'm in! I didn't know it was coming out this week, that rocks. Can't wait to play. I was a big fan of Tiny Tower.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'll give it a shot. TinyTower was fun for a few days.

Can't imagine playing it for very long though.

tranciful

I assume it'll be like Tiny Tower, AKA Farmville disguised to appeal to gamers, and I won't take part in this time waster.

I assume it'll be like Tiny Tower, AKA Farmville disguised to appeal to gamers, and I won't take part in this time waster.

For someone so averse to wasting time, you sure spent a lot of it coming into a thread about a game you don't care about only to type a post about how you don't care about it.

Chopper

For someone so averse to wasting time, you sure spent a lot of it coming into a thread about a game you don't care about only to type a post about how you don't care about it.
To be fair, that probably didn't take very long. We're always gonna get haters in our Nimblebit threads. You're better off ignoring them.

tranciful

I didn't know what Pocket Planes was until I clicked the thread, so you can chill with the attacks.

inb4 you cleverly point out I'm wasting time replying to you

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just when I finally went cold turkey on Tiny Tower... they drag me back in.

GeekyDad

Will play, but I must say, this shit's over-hyped. It's funny too, since GAF seems to collectively hate Facebook, and let's fucking face it, this is a Facebook game for your iDevice. GAF is finally catching up with old people like me, and they're all giddy about it. Yay...

Chopper

Oh, no.

I cannot let myself do this.
Of course you can.

Join usssssssss...
GeekyDad said:
Will play, but I must say, this shit's over-hyped. It's funny too, since GAF seems to collectively hate Facebook, and let's fucking face it, this is a Facebook game for your iDevice. GAF is finally catching up with old people like me, and they're all giddy about it. Yay...
It's more our enthusiasm about seeing another Nimblebit game than it is the opportunity to play a freemium timewaster. They have a proven record of being hard-working developers with a keen interest in their fans, so new stuff from them is exciting. Or at least, it is to me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

People aren't too sweet on Match-3 games, and yet Bejeweled has that certain something. People who aren't otherwise sweet on Pinball and certainly not Pachinko love Peggle. The Dev Story sims are quite shallow as well. Popcap correctly realizes that the marriage of a gorgeous presentation, synchronicity between audio and visual, an approachable, interesting, and novel theme, and a positive, reward-oriented mindset can help elevate games that might otherwise be merely acceptable to a higher level.

They also correctly understand that you can become a millionaire while remaining humble, appreciating your fans, and not trying to exploit them psychologically.

"GAF" still hates Facebook games, because they writ large don't get the two things I just discussed. Nimblebit does.

Chopper

People aren't too sweet on Match-3 games, and yet Bejeweled has that certain something. People who aren't otherwise sweet on Pinball and certainly not Pachinko love Peggle. The Dev Story sims are quite shallow as well. Popcap correctly realizes that the marriage of a gorgeous presentation, synchronicity between audio and visual, an approachable, interesting, and novel theme, and a positive, reward-oriented mindset can help elevate games that might otherwise be merely acceptable to a higher level.

They also correctly understand that you can become a millionaire while remaining humble, appreciating your fans, and not trying to exploit them psychologically.

"GAF" still hates Facebook games, because they writ large don't get the two things I just discussed. Nimblebit does.
Nicely put. That's what I meant...

I would love to be able to transfer my 3000 bux from Tiny Tower to this.

i told my wife "the next game from the guys who made tiny tower comes out tomorrow night"....she asked who do we have to kill to get it sooner. shes been a tiny tower player from day 1 and gives it at lease an hour or 2 of her time daily.

what was i thinking?

ServBotPhil if you want to add me on Game Center. Off work tomorrow, so I will be able to learn how the game works. Since it's a new thread, should we worry about using spoilers, or does the fact that it's a free app make a difference?

udivision

I'm playing Tiny Tower for the first time today... I'm not sure I really get it.

Why does everything take so long without the green bills?

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm playing Tiny Tower for the first time today... I'm not sure I really get it.

Why does everything take so long without the green bills?

Games like that (there are hundreds if not thousands) are meant to be played in very short doses over the day. Just to kill a few minutes every few hours or so.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That's why I don't get why TT was so popular and people were acting like it was heroin. I felt like I ran out of the currency so quickly. It might have lasting value but i wouldn't say it was "addictive" because of how little I could play it per session.

udivision

Games like that (there are hundreds if not thousands) are meant to be played in very short doses over the day. Just to kill a few minutes every few hours or so.

Makes sense, I guess.

Maybe console games should have buddy apps that are simple mini-games like tetris or this that translate into gold or common items in your console game.

Huff

Banned
I was sucked into Tiny Tower for so long that when I deleted it, it was such a good feeling.

This is going to be the first ios game ill have downloaded in a long time

Top Bottom