• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, uh, has this ever happened? (McElroy: GAF has actively tried to fool the press)

http://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/214135570149015554

Because I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

JaaKG.png

Mod Edit:

So, I looked, and here's what the chain shows:

Patrick Klepek ‏@patrickklepek

Has ANYONE that's posted this ridiculous Xbox 720 "leak" done any reporting to verify its authenticity?

--

Justin McElroy ‏@JustinMcElroy

@patrickklepek doesn't GAF throw enough baseless suspicion onto the press without actual members of the press piling it on?

---

Basically Justin's new site (Polygon/Vox Games) posted the 56 page "Microsoft" document, Patrick questioned the logic of doing this, and Justin complained at Patrick saying that journalists should stick together and not question each other because GAF does that enough already.

This lead to the quote above about how NeoGAF is unreliable.

Lunar15

I feel like if you're a journalist, and you report something that's written on an internet forum without backing it up with at least some research, that's your own fault, not the forum's.

I know what McElroy is saying here, but dang, so much hatin'.

EDIT: didn't see patrick's tweet afterwards. We agree.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, I looked, and here's what the chain shows:

Patrick Klepek ‏@patrickklepek

Has ANYONE that's posted this ridiculous Xbox 720 "leak" done any reporting to verify its authenticity?

--

Justin McElroy ‏@JustinMcElroy

@patrickklepek doesn't GAF throw enough baseless suspicion onto the press without actual members of the press piling it on?

---

Basically Justin's new site (Polygon/Vox Games) posted the 56 page "Microsoft" document, Patrick questioned the logic of doing this, and Justin complained at Patrick saying that journalists should stick together and not question each other because GAF does that enough already.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I made a fake Halo 2 XBLA arcade press release(several OT's back) and got a few HaloGAF members to bite. Good times.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is it really fair to say we are actively trying to fool the press? I would say that posters are doing what they are doing to have fun, crack jokes, and entertain other posters. The idea that there is this malicious intent just seems baseless and maybe even self-centered. I think most posters would love to have more influence over the press-- no need to pretend we already do!

Also, sour grapes still and good on Patrick for trying to get the media to act as a filter for garbage instead of a microphone. Someone post the dancingwithskyrim.gif to complete the cycle.

Derrick01

Banned

Jesus :lol

Is there a bigger douche in the gaming media than him? Then again I guess if looking at a minimap is too hard then we can't fault him for not being able to verify sources. And I thought I was lazy.

FLEABttn

Banned
what's going on

Video game journalist A thinks the 720 leak power point is crap and wonders if anyone ever fact checks that stuff before they post it on the internet. Video game journalist B blames GAF for passing that stuff around while being unhappy that GAF demands gaming journalists to actually be journalists. Both miss that GAF isn't a hive mind, nor is GAF (or it's posters) press and doesn't need to meet those standard that actual journalists are held up to.

SmithnCo

Gross.

Wallach

Is it really fair to say we are actively trying to fool the press? I would say that posters are doing what they are doing to have fun, crack jokes, and entertain other posters. The idea that there is this malicious intent just seems baseless and maybe even self-centered. I think most posters would love to have more influence over the press-- no need to pretend we already do!

Also, sour grapes still. Someone post the dancingwithskyrim.gif to complete the cycle.

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure most GAF posters don't give a fuck about the gaming press, even when they are trolling. They're trolling other GAF posters.

Not that pointing fingers at us does anything to defend Patrick's point.

Forever

Banned
This is pretty telling. The rare few game journalists that actually do journalism get bitched at for making everyone else look like the clowns they are.

Personally, it's hard for me to reconcile the hilarious dude that's shown up on Giant Bomb E3 livestreams with the guy who tweets shit like this.

Isn't something like the "Triology" post just trying to fool GAF, and the press was desperate and dumb enough to pick up on it?

The only way there would be some kind of collective "GAF" responsibility would be if a bunch of us conspired to send fake news to the press as a tip. Now that very well may have happened at some point! But if he's just talking about fake shit on the forum, that's not really the same thing.

edit: Y2Kev'd

I have some dislike for both of these dudes personalities (McElroy more so) but Klepek at least usually does some due journalistic diligence on the stories he writes rather than just being a loudmouth PR-tool trolling-for-hits blogger.

Lunar15

I really liked Justin on the bombcast, it is a little hard to see this as being the same guy. Just gonna chalk this up to some crankiness.

Gotta stop the hatin', both sides.

Forever

Banned
The Triology post was made to fool other posters, I don't think that in anyone's wildest dreams they would've imagined that IGN would actually list the damn thing.

But like, no one here ever explicitly tells these journalists to post that kind of thing. How exactly is someone's failure to fact check GAF's fault?

Margalis

Banned
Members of the media aren’t supposed to protect each other, Justin. You’re doing a job, not in a club.

@FollowSmoke With respect,who are you to tell me to do anything? I don't know if you have a point or not, but seriously, fuck your attitude.

Ha ha ha. Defensive much?

"Did anyone try to verify this?"
"HOW DARE YOU REARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!"

Really? Seems pretty fair to ask if anyone looked into the veracity of a leak.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

What a dumbass. That line of thought is completely counter-productive.

Does my reading comprehension suck? 'Cause it doesn't seem like his tweet means what the thread title says.

Seems like he's saying Patrick shouldn't call out fellow journalists, trying to insult him by comparing him to GAF. I don't get him suggesting people here try to mislead the press. We're just a bunch of jerks who point and laugh when they do dumb things, and Klepek should be above that.

I think you miss understood what he is saying. I dont think he is saying gaf is trying to actively fool the press but he is saying that gaf has been critical of gaming press and maybe other members of the gaming press shouldn't start jumping in (when Patrick rightfully pointed out how silly it is that no one has verified those leaked xbox docs are real or not)

Still you managed to get a pretty sensationalist thread title out of it.

Thats very gaming journalist of you. Good job.

Vamphuntr

Do we have an updated list of everyone that hates us?

Top Bottom