• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This book is like the Hunger Games, if the Hunger Games was super racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

save-the-pearls-revealing-eden-book-cover.jpg

“Save the Pearls” is a vanity published YA novel trying to bill itself as the next “The Hunger Games.” The publisher says that “‘Save the Pearls turns the tables on racism.’”

It uses blackface as a plot device.

In author Victoria Foyt’s futuristic world, no one wants to mate with white people—or “pearls”—considered to be the ugliest humans oppressed by people of color. In order to survive, they must put on blackface make up to be attractive to the ruling class of “coals.” Hoyt explains: “their stunningly dark skin that carries the greatest amount of melanin…makes them the strongest, most powerful race alive.” The protagonist is a white girl who must smear her face with “midnight luster” make up in order to protect herself from radiation and in order to look beautiful to the oppressive “coals” in hopes that they will mate with her.

The rule in Eden’s post-apocalyptic world is: the darker the skin, the higher the mate-rate. Other factors calculated into one’s mate-rate include wealth or employment status. For example, Ronson Bramford, a handsome Coal titan of industry, is at the top of the heap with a mate rate of 98%. At age twenty-two, he only has two years left in which to mate—or else he’d probably have a 100% mate-rate. Tiger’s-Eyes, or Latinos, usually rate above Ambers, or Asians, in the future race wars. White-skinned Pearls offer little resistance to The Heat, and therefore, are at the bottom. Only a Cotton, or Albino, would be lower.”

http://www.savethepearls.com/

Book Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0AT6qxYBI4&feature=youtu.be

I guess now that Vampires, Werewolves, Fairies, Angels, Demons,etc are burned out black people are the new supernatural race belle de jour.

"White people can be oppressed, too."

"Not really, no."

"But what if they were, hypothetically? Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Coals" isn't something a political in-group would call itself, especially while naming the out-group after something attractive like pearls. The author's choice of words really speaks to her inner racist turmoil.

Eden must fight to save her father, who may be humanity’s last hope, while standing up to a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction to him. To survive, Eden must change-but only if she can redefine her ideas of beauty-and of true love.

Beast-man?

It's kind of like how blacks bleach their skin to be more attractive to whites in...the real world.

How does shit like this even get published?
Looks self-published. Vanity publishers will publish anything for the right money with little to no editing.

Oh shit there's a video of a white chick in black face on the homepage. Hahaha...

Slayven

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victoria-foyt/interracial-relationships_b_1312303.html

The author talks about the book, I like this bit

Conceivably, if the book had not reached the African-American community of readers, if such a category still exists, perhaps there might be some backlash. The first young African American reader who responded to me loved the book. But then, she's the kind of free spirit who would eschew limiting herself to a single category.

Not only does she cast doubt on black people being readers, but she pulls the "my best friend is black" and "the get over it " double combo.

Dram

This is the perfect book for those Hunger Games fans who don't care when black characters
die

Her love interest, Bramford, is a Coal. So yeah, this is about an interracial relationship in a post-apocalyptic world. Or more narrowly, if you take out the question of race, a Beauty and the Beast story in which both parties must find self-acceptance (no story spoilers) before they can discover true love.

Equates blacks to beasts. Multiple times.

So what does the lack of any racial outrage or puzzlement or fervor amidst the tremendous rain of positive reviews possibly say?

Means no one is reading your book.

Conceivably, if the book had not reached the African-American community of readers, if such a category still exists, perhaps there might be some backlash. The first young African American reader who responded to me loved the book. But then, she's the kind of free spirit who would eschew limiting herself to a single category.

Oh, sweet jesus.

Or perhaps -- and this is what I hope -- the YA generation sees race in a way that is unique to them, unique in our history. After all, they have arrived on the scene decades past the integration of schools and Jim Crow, even well past the days of The Cosby Show.
Cosby was a Civil Rights benchmark, apparently.

Soap-mouth-washing words that were forbidden in my youth now populate rap songs so often I wonder if, happily, they have lost their vile connotations.
Author is now happy she can use the words as much as she wants. That's what they call themselves, after all!

Mr_Zombie

"Coals" isn't something a political in-group would call itself, especially while naming the out-group after something attractive like pearls. The author's choice of words really speaks to her inner racist turmoil.

Stupid premise aside, this is what I was wondering too. Why would a superior group named themselves "coals", while naming the inferior ones "pearls"? There are so many black gemstones, so why stick to the "coal"?

FACE

Banned
Stupid premise aside, this is what I was wondering too. Why would a superior group named themselves "coals", while naming the inferior ones "pearls"?

Because the dominant group doesn't think they're special, but the white people are.

shyamanlantwist.jpg

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this even being compared to THG? It's like a distorted version of 50 Shades of Grey made by a racist's wet dream.

Link1110

"white skinned pearls offer little resistance to the heat"

So, society is ruled by a basketball team? Did the nba championships one year determine who would rule?

Cosby was a Civil Rights benchmark, apparently.

NBC had a special in the early 2000's celebrating some benchmark and they made a big deal about Cosby making an all-black sitcom so soon after the civil rights movement; as if all those other shows, like Sanford and Son, Good Times, or The Jeffersons didn't exist.

What I'm saying is a lot of white people have a love of Cosby that is just odd.

Also, my first thought was "I wonder what the people who hated the black actors in 'The Hunger Games' think of this book."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom