• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police use helicopter in search for snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

PLYMOUTH, England, July 31 (UPI) -- Authorities in Britain said a police helicopter with a thermal imaging camera attempted to locate a 4-foot snake that eluded capture.

Police in Plymouth, England, said the snake, believed to be a boa constrictor, was spotted slithering on a busy street last week and three locals managed to trap it in a trash bin, but it forced its way out before animal authorities could retrieve it, The Sun reported Tuesday.

"We got it in the bin about three times but even with six hands pushing on the lid it was too powerful. It was getting angry so we backed off," said resident Bernard Brotherton, 53.

Police said they used a helicopter with a thermal imaging camera in an attempt to locate the reptile, which is believed to have been a pet that was set free by an owner who could not keep it.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals urged residents to be cautious if they spot the non-venomous snake.

"Snakes of that type are usually docile but we'd encourage people not to handle it," RSPCA representative Jo Barr said.

Story Here

ISgp8.jpg

low-G

If the snake had chosen to hide under the lid it wouldn't have been found by the helicopter!

Stupid snake!

Bear

Cold blooded just means that they don't produce body heat internally, not that their blood is literally cold. Snakes have variable body temperatures, and how they appear in thermal imaging depends on their environment.

So under certain conditions, either image can be true. There is no standard body temperature for snakes like there is with warm blooded animals.

Ultima_5

Ive shared this story before but I sort of like snakes. I think that puts me in the minority. One time I was on going on a run and I passed this cute girl who was just sort of standing on the path. She told me to stop because there was this snake in the path a bit ahead. I got a stick and scared it off as it was just a big garter snake. She thanked me and smiled alot. She then started jogging again, and I stayed back because I don't need people to actively see how out of shape I am... or the fact my tie dyed shirt was soaked with sweat despite only running a bit less than a mile. When she passed me on her way back she smiled again. Like, very friendly like. When I walked back to my car, I saw her stretching on a park bench and she once again thanked me for moving the snake and smiled more. I said it was no problem. I then made a stupid ghostbusters homage and referenced the "who you gonna call" in case she ever had any more snake trouble. Only once I started to drive away did I realize that she probably would have been very receptive to me asking her out for a drink or dinner or something. Not to mention that "who you gonna call" could have easily gotten her number. My virginity then grew back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom