• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Thief 4 switched to next-gen consoles; could release next year

Eidos Montreal's Thief 4 has been switched to next-generation consoles. That's according to the latest issue of OXM UK, which reports in its gossip section that the long-in-development revamp will likely release late next year, when Xbox 720 (codename 'Durango') is expected to launch.

CVG sources indicate the report is accurate.

Theif 4 is said to have been in development for four years, with one designer even claiming to have completed the game's final level.

The long-in-development sequel has recently seen its audio director and lead level designer both depart for other studios, along with several concept artists and other designers.

Eidos Montreal job listings reveal the Deus Ex: Human Revolution studio is working on a next-gen action adventure game, with mentions of "player choice" and "stealth".

If the OXM report is to be believed it's Thief, not necessarily Deus Ex, that's being geared up for the next consoles.

We've contacted Square Enix for comment.

Source

This game is a mess lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Eidos Montreal job listings reveal the Deus Ex: Human Revolution studio is working on a next-gen action adventure game, with mentions of "player choice" and "stealth".

If the OXM report is to be believed it's Thief, not necessarily Deus Ex, that's being geared up for the next consoles.
Unless they're expecting a surprise release of Deus Ex 4 in eight months I don't see why it wouldn't be both.

stuart

Banned
If it's been switched to next-gen consoles surely it should release this year, when the Wii U is launched?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was this being worked on by the Deus Ex team? Or a secondary team at Montreal?

I want to say both after Human Revolution shipped. Plans could have changed after Deus Ex became a succes.

I can believe the first part, not the second.

This has been cooking for five years already, it's not going to make money on the install base of PS380 in the first year.

You got a very good point. We've seen picture, we know they've been doing playtesting since forever ago, so the game has been in active development for some time. But not having it at E3 this year was perhaps a indication that there is some validity to this rumor, or they are retooling the entire game.

StuBurns

Banned

This has been cooking for five years already, it's not going to make money on the install base of PS480 in the first year.

Averon

This has been cooking for five years already, it's not going to make money on the install base of PS380 in the first year.

Maybe they figured establishing the series early on new consoles will carry a bigger payoff down the road.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Maybe they figured establishing the series early on new consoles will carry a bigger payoff down the road.
Considering they've been working on it for four years, they will just lose more money by making it a next-gen game. There's no reason for them to ditch the HD install base unless they're making something really ambitious and have problems. I doubt they have some internal strategy in place for the franchise wrt long-term prospects.

They have a different team for Thief 4.

http://www.eidosmontreal.com/teams

Nextgen consoles and the transition to them are not good for us PC gamers :. Really looking forward to Thief 4 after DE:HR.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I think the most important question is when can I preorder this on Steam?

glaurung

Would have preferred a release on this console generation. The technology in Deus Ex and Hitman is pretty nifty already, with a few tweaks it would be awe inspiring.

Oh well. I hope their new take on Thief is a little more classic game play and less the on-rails Thief 3 silliness.

Would have preferred a release on this console generation. The technology in Deus Ex and Hitman is pretty nifty already, with a few tweaks it would be awe inspiring.

Oh well. I hope their new take on Thief is a little more classic game play and less the on-rails Thief 3 silliness.

Really? I loved Human Revolution but the character models were bad. I guess that could just be the art team.

Arriving in the launch window has its own set of obstacles, but on the other hand new console owners will literally buy anything. If it's PS4/720/PC launch simultaneously I don't see it really being a problem, Deus Ex was a mess on current gen consoles from what I've seen.

And please don't shit up these threads with Wii U bickering. :/

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think that job description fits more of Deus Ex than Thief 4 than anything since of "player choice" and "stealth" are just key components of that title. Thief 4 is most likely a 2013 release title because they won't be silly to just release it on next gen titles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not surprising. If they release it during an inevitable early gen release drought and capitalize on HR's success it'll likely get more of an audience than it would as a current gen title. I'm expecting we're going to hear of lots of stuff being moved to next-gen relatively soon.

glaurung

Really? I loved Human Revolution but the character models were bad. I guess that could just be the art team.
I think the overall character model quality was rather high already (Human Revolution), but the artistic direction defined certain dull boundaries.

The only thing that really bugged me in DEHR were the relatively poor animations.

im-okay-with-this.png

I hope this is not a banned meme!

ced

Typically I would be very worried, but I still have faith in Eidos after Deus Ex.

We got Dishonored coming up anyways, should fill that void.

I hope this developer wasn't a one trick pony, because I really loved Human Revolution. I guess they are keeping this under-wraps because Square Enix wants to focus on Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution?!

So that's Thief 4, Just Cause 2, and the new Deus Ex we have to wait on consoles for. Thats just awesome. Really really awesome.

Vossler

I doubt it gets released on a next gen console next year. Too small of a user base to launch such a high profile game on. Also, with it being in development for quite a while, I don't see them putting in the effort to get it to run on current consoles and then switching near the end of development. PS3/360 for sure. (not that it bothers me, as I will be getting it on PC)

Derrick01

Banned
As far as I'm concerned Dishonored is Thief 4. They've really botched the handling of this game and I'm not sure if next gen means anything good, especially if it releases next year which would be the first year of the new consoles. And that means games that are still weak and don't know how to take advantage of the new power.

This has been cooking for five years already, it's not going to make money on the install base of PS480 in the first year.

Being a launch window title could actually help this sell. We see titles benefit from it on every console launch, and Thief is something that could easily be lost in the mix and bomb on current gen.

Top Bottom