• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command & Conquer Generals 2 Goes Free To Play [Up: Trailer]

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9zVjFcpjeA&feature=player_embedded&hd=1

EA ANNOUNCES COMMAND & CONQUER A NEW FREE-TO- PLAY DESTINATION POWERED BY FROSTBITE 2
Command & Conquer Generals 2 Transforms into a New Digital Platform for the Legendary Strategy Franchise

COLOGNE, Germany – August 15, 2012 – Today at gamescom, the world's largest trade fair and event for interactive games and entertainment, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) took a bold step to spearhead the industry’s digital revolution and announced Command & Conquer. The previously announced Command & Conquer Generals 2 has been transformed to be a part of this new digital experience, giving gamers complete access to the cutting-edge visuals, sound and destruction of a full, AAA strategy game – for free. The new online platform and service will launch in 2013, with the Generals universe representing the first of many free offerings within the storied franchise EA is planning to launch with Command & Conquer.

With a familiar blend of cerebral, strategic gameplay and fun, fast-paced action, Command & Conquer will deliver an authentic and modern RTS experience that will instantly exhilarate longtime fans and captivate new players. Gamers can sign up for a chance to be among the first to try the closed beta of Command & Conquer at www.CommandandConquer.com/free.

“We are thrilled about this opportunity to transform Command and Conquer into a premier online experience,” said Jon Van Caneghem, VP/GM at EA. “For nearly two decades, this franchise has existed as something you buy; now we are creating a destination where our fans will be able to access the entire Command and Conquer universe, starting with Generals and continuing with Red Alert, Tiberium, and beyond. With Frostbite 2, we are able to keep an emphasis on the AAA quality our consumers expect while staying true to the RTS gameplay they know and love – all available online for free.”

An all out war rages in Command & Conquer, as players take control of multiple factions, compete for resources, build up operation bases, and lead massive batteries of tanks, soldiers, and aircraft into battle. With incredibly detailed units, fully destructible environments, dynamic physics, and exhilarating visual effects, Command & Conquer is poised to re-define what gamers expect from a strategy game. Heralding feedback driven design, Command & Conquer will evolve and develop with an expanding array of new content based on community feedback.

Command & Conquer will be available as a free, client-based game for the PC in 2013. For more information on and to register for a chance to be selected for closed beta access, please visit www.CommandandConquer.com/free.Follow the game on Twitter at http://twitter.com/OfficialCnC or "Like" Command & Conquer on Facebook at http://facebook.com/commandandconquer.

:/

Hmmm.

How will the micro transactions work? Upgrades, unlocked sides, superweapons, tech-trees, powers...? How on earth can free-players be balanced with paid-players?

As a long-term fan of Command and Conquer (aside from 4, my god what were they thinking), I don't have good feelings about this.

I was always hoping we'd get a ten-player C&C multiplayer only crossover-fest (GDI, NOD, Scrin, Allies, Soviets, Yuri, Empire, USA, China and GLA) but that's just for shits and giggles really.

King_Moc

Banned
Knowing EA, you'll have people being able to just buy veteran units, making it pay to win. I'd love to be wrong. But i'm probably not.

glaurung

Way to kill the hype, EA.

They will nickle and dime the shit out of all players with this bullshit. Boosters and unlockable tech three levels everywhere.

Do not want.

Wallets will cry.

china_hackeroreq7.png

They will never notice their money is missing.

Effect

Nice way of killing interest in the game for me. :( I enjoy the Command & Conquer series and was looking forward to knowing more about C&CG2 but this ugh. One less game to buy in the end so maybe I should be thanking EA.

Nobody does F2P worse than EA. If you ever wanted examples of what braindead anti-F2P troglodytes imagine all F2P games are like, just give one of EA's a shot.

Base game includes:Command center and barrack with soldier unit.
But for $0.99 you can unlock new units and buildings.

Ooh and we will match you with people that have everything unlocked.

Online SimCity
F2P C&C
Gears of Space 3

EA sure makes it easy for me to ignore their future games.

Yo but these franchises deserve 5 million sales.
And that is how we do it.

Erdem

Banned
no.gif

I had such high hopes, Generals was my favourite RTS along with Starcraft. Asymmetric sides with unique abilities, humorous gameplay, crazy tactics . . . sigh.

F2P only means they will mutilate the game to feed in portions. I thought they were going to put a contenter for Starcraft in Blizzard style, but they chose to go after HoN/LoL instead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My general opinion is if they do it like P4F it will be awful, but if they do it with the care of ME3's multi it will be good.

I'm not holding out hope as there is way more of the former than the latter from EA.

Top Bottom