• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian judicative proves its independence: Pussy Riot found guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Despite all attempts of the Russian autocratic leader ("Pussy Riot should not be punished too harsh"), the Russian court just found the Pussy Riot girls guilty. The prosecutor asked for 3 years imprisonment. Details will be announced later.

Who doesn't want to live in a free and democratic country like Russia these days?

CiSTM

Banned
FREE PUSSY
RIOT

Three years? Jesus.

not still sure if they actually get three years. I really hope they won't do any time but I'm guessing one year, and time they have spent jailed counts into that, so 6 months. I really hope they won't get any time :(

CiSTM

Banned
Russian justice system is a joke. Did you know its conviction rate is 95% and more? :D

It's there with China and Japan.They need to reveal their awesome secrets how they do this! I would feel much more safer if we had 100% conviction rate.

CiSTM

Banned
Disgraceful

So Putin still wanted a message to be sent.

I actually think it's more about kissing the ass of church. Church has gained lot of power in Duma during past decades and non of the political parties want to piss them off, since they mean lots of votes.

Shiggy

Disgraceful

So Putin still wanted a message to be sent.

Well, he said he would take the protesters seriously.

I actually think it's more about kissing the ass of church. Church has gained lot of power in Duma during past decades and non of the political parties want to piss them off, since they mean lots of votes.

This is certainly something that played into the court's decision.

Enosh

I don't see how you can find them not guilty, they obviously did what they did

the question is what kind of a sentence they should get for what they did

Kifimbo

Kasparov (the chess awesome dude) has been arrested too.

What a joke.

A0fyUlrCYAAPArV.jpg

I feel like I'm in the dark here. Is Pussy Riot some new thing I don't know about?

Its a feminist punk rock group who defied authorities in playing concerts where they were told not to but did so the authorities went overboard and charged them as if they were killers.

Despite all attempts of the Russian autocratic leader ("Pussy Riot should not be punished too harsh"), the Russian court just found the Pussy Riot girls guilty. The prosecutor asked for 3 years imprisonment. Details will be announced later.

Who doesn't want to live in a free and democratic country like Russia these days?

I thought 3 years in jail was what Putin meant by "not too harsh" I doubt the courts have the balls to go against Putin's wishes
But anyway, this is exactly why free speech is necessary in any free society.

Kasparov (the chess awesome dude) has been arrested too.

What a joke.

WTF?!? The guy was considered untouchable, he is a national hero.

Its a feminist punk rock group who defied authorities in playing concerts where they were told not to but did so the authorities went overboard and charged them as if they were killers.

It's actually grass-roots activist movement that stripped naked in the Orthodox church.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
live feed from Russia Today (yes, them)
***************/on-air/pussy-riot-verdict-live/

edit :censored? It is the only live video feed I could find.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
This is just like when Dr. Laura said that stupid thing and got fired. Don't tread on me!
Dr. Laura faced prison time?

<----sarcasm detection failure?

These fine women seem to be taking this court proceeding fine. They are laughing as the prosecution acts like justice is being served.

Dead Man

Missed this thread and bumped an older one. Shitty conviction, and if they get 3 years labour that will be even shittier.

miksar

114.jpg

This is the man fully responsible for their sentence, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, patriarch Kirill Gundyayev. Ironically he doesn't believe in God and is basically a corrupt bureaucrat. The Russian Orthodox Church is a joke itself right now, with businessmen who have nothing to do with faith occupying the top of the hierarchy.

Missed this thread and bumped an older one. Shitty conviction, and if they get 3 years labour that will be even shittier.

I can see how the sentence is shitty, but there's no denying that they would have been arrested if this had taken place in any western country.

That pussy is not so free now eh?
So what's the story behind the glass boxes?

18russia-image-popup.jpg

"my pussy is still free muahahaa"

Dead Man

I can see how the sentence is shitty, but there's no denying that they would have been arrested if this had taken place in any western country.

1. Never said the arrest was shit.

2. Held for 5 months before trial, and now the prosecution is seeking 3 years of labour for a concert? Try going into a church and playing an unauthorised concert in most western countries. See if you get 3 years of hard labour for that.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
The way the verdict is being read sounds very theocratic. I would be shitting my pants if I was on trial for disgracing God.

Volimar

Futureman

114.jpg

This is the man fully responsible for their sentence, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, patriarch Kirill Gundyayev. Ironically he doesn't believe in God and is basically a corrupt bureaucrat. The Russian Orthodox Church is a joke itself right now, with businessmen who have nothing to do with faith occupying the top of the hierarchy.

doesn't believe in God? He openly states this? wtf? Russia is so weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom