• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android, iOS, WP8 phone debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe I'm alone in finding it hard to choose my next phone. Not to mention, people hopping between various threads with the same goal of finding the right phone. This thread is for the discussion between each mobile OS and their current and upcoming flagship phones.

Here are some of the few phones I'm deciding between for my next phone. The Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, and Nokia Lumia 920 are have appealing aspects, yet are so different from each other.

Screen-shot-2012-09-13-at-12.28.37-AM.png

Story_GalaxyS3VSiphone5_610x426.jpg

iPhone-5-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S3.jpg

nokia-lumia-920-and-820-headset.jpg

Im pretty ignorant about WP, mainly afraid about App support, but damn the Lumia is making me investigate more about it.

Milchjon

Im pretty ignorant about WP, mainly afraid about App support, but damn the Lumia is making me investigate more about it.

It has about 100.000 apps in the marketplace. The only app I'm really missing is Instagram.

Unless you're a hardcore app user, you'll find something for all your needs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I couldn't live without the Apps. That makes iOS the clear winner. Android second. Windows Phone a distant third.

In terms of UI aesthetics, I feel that iOS looks nice and shiny, and Windows Phone looks very beautiful as well (perhaps moreso). As a Nexus 7 owner, I feel that Android is kind of a mutt...

For me it's gotta be iOS as the winner... And Windows Phone would be considerable if the apps were there. Android is full of features, but Im not sure they're that compelling, and I don't like the user experience. Maybe in a few updates. Android based hardware is nice, though.

Jtrizzy

thanks for starting this thread. I am in the same situation. My contract has been up for about 6 months now, and I want the best smartphone available on Verizon. I've had a Droid 2 for the last 2 years, and I hate giving up it's great keyboard, but I'm ready to upgrade I think...

I'll put it in the simplest term. Only one of them offers SD card and Widget supports.

Yeah this is a huge plus for me, been using Android in my tablet for a while and its really liberating to have this options.

But I love the hardware design of my i4, but im tired of iOS :(

nib95

Banned
Pick...

Android (Galaxy S3 or Note 2) - For feature set and customisation.

iOS (iPhone 5) - For simplicity and ease of use.

W8 (Lumia 920) - For an alternative UI and hardware.

dionysus

Yaldog
As a mild app user and non phone gamer WP works well for my needs. I only have about 10 apps.

I had the original iphone, wife has android, use bberry for work, and have had a palm pre. So far I slightly lean WP over android. The palm OS was amazing and I cry for it. I just don't use my phone in the ways the iphone shines. Bbery is great for enterprise email, that is about it but I wouldn't want my work phone to be anything else. Unfortunately my company doesn't agree and they want me to get an iphone for work. I hate typing emails on a touchscreen, hate hate hate hate hate it.

I switched from WP7 to Android and I truly do miss WP7, and WP8 looks gorgeous.

Hands down the best UI and the speediest. Even if it's hardly customizable.

iPhone was like Baked Chicken.
Android is like a box of wings with pick-your-own sauce.
Windows Phone is like Chicken salad

Pick your flavor

coldfoot

Banned
Just like the PS3/360 debate, iOS gets by far the best version of apps. Take facebook for example, other OS's get crappy ports compared to the sleek fast iOS app. Unlike the PS3/360 ports with minor graphics and frame rate differences, app differences between iOS and other platforms is huge.

I expect a lot from WP8. We don't know much about it, but from what we do know, it might have potential. Sure, iOS is the go to platform for games, but with the mostly shared core between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Xbox Live games could be interchangable between the two platforms. The potential is huge. Buy an Xbox Live (Arcade) game on the Xbox, play it on PC and play it on Windows Phone.

I own an iPhone 4S and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon, but that said, I'm also part of Microsoft's Windows Champions Blogger program and they send me stuff all the time. They recently asked about our cell phone carriers again. I do believe they'll be sending me one of those Lumia phones once Win Phone 8 is final and the devices are out. Looking forward to checking it out.

alphaNoid

Banned
The 820 is coming to Verizon, yes? I wish the 920 weren't an ATT exclusive. It's so sexy.

Has that been confirmed yet? Verizon is getting a variant of the 820, codenamed the Atlas but thats all we know. I haven't heard anything about the 920 being exclusive thus far.

Just like the PS3/360 debate, iOS gets by far the best version of apps. Take facebook for example, other OS's get crappy ports compared to the sleek fast iOS app. Unlike the PS3/360 ports with minor graphics and frame rate differences, app differences between iOS and other platforms is huge.

Huh? There is no FB app on Windows Phone, the service completely integrates into the OS and thus is faster than anything iOS can do.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I don't believe I'm alone in finding it hard to choose my next phone. Not to mention, people hopping between various threads with the same goal of finding the right phone. This thread is for the discussion between each mobile OS and their current and upcoming flagship phones.

Here are some of the few phones I'm deciding between for my next phone. The Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, and Nokia Lumia 920 are have appealing aspects, yet are so different from each other.

http://reviewunit.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2012-09-13-at-12.28.37-AM.png
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/06/21/Story_GalaxyS3VSiphone5_610x426.jpg
http://www.iphoneinformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/iPhone-5-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S3.jpg?3995d3
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/09/nokia-lumia-920-and-820-headset.jpg
soooo what do you want to know about these phones?
you can browse the store online. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store/featured-apps (Canadian link)

massoluk

Banned
About the apps. Without a question, if you like to play games on your handheld, IOS is the reigning champ. But other than that, I don't think I've missed much using Android. The only apps I kinda missed is the Chipotle app, otherwise, you will always find comparable Android version.

Sora_N

I honestly haven't looked into Windows phones either, but the phones look pretty nice now. I'm tempted but I will probably stick with Android for now.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The random sized squares on W8 is really dumb looking.

I expect a lot from WP8. We don't know much about it, but from what we do know, it might have potential. Sure, iOS is the go to platform for games, but with the mostly shared core between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Xbox Live games could be interchangable between the two platforms. The potential is huge. Buy an Xbox Live (Arcade) game on the Xbox, play it on PC and play it on Windows Phone.

It not happening, pipe dream.

f0lken

Huh? There is no FB app on Windows Phone, the service completely integrates into the OS and thus is faster than anything iOS can do.

Being integrated in WP is nice, and faster than the iPhone or Android apps (especially the android app), but there are still some things missing in that integration, that is why in WP exist a separate official app

The random sized squares on W8 is really dumb looking.

There are 3 sizes for all apps in Wp, so you could have your screen with a simetric grid of icons if you want =)

Cheeto

Isn't "sluggishness" because of the refresh rate? Which is fixed in the latest OS version.

coldfoot

Banned
iOS 6 has deep FB integration too. However, what you can do with those system integrated functions can never replace a dedicated app in functionality. Appwise, iOS is far ahead of other platforms.

SeanR1221

I really wanted to like WP. Like....really really wanted to like it. I threw my sim in a focus one night and couldn't go back to iphone 4 fast enough.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
here is what I use on iOS outside of the normal stock stuff that every phone has.

Skydrive
OneNote
Colloquy (IRC)
Downcast (Podcast)
HippoRemote
MLB At Bat
LatestChatty (Shacknews)
Chrome
Pandora
Reeder (RSS)
Tweetbot
Google Authenticator
Blizzard Authenticator
Waze (GPS Navigation)
TWC (Weather)

And a couple games on my phone, Solitare and Chrono Trigger.

really the only thing Windows Phone is lacking among those is Pandora (official), Google Authentication (although there might be a third party tool) and a decent GPS app. And of course games, but those will improve with WP8 and the new capabilities of that. My contract is up in March so i'll be looking at WP8 very closely. I'll either get that or just keep my iPhone and get a Straight Talk sim or something. Hopefully T-Mobile or something has some good WP8s on their monthly pay as you go plan. They had the cheaper nokias on there which was really tempting.

(as you can see, I don't use much)

freshair

I have all 3. Went from iOS on the 3GS to the Radar and now I've settled on Android (for now).

iOS has a really great app ecosystem, there's no denying that and everything "just works".

Android has a compelling ecosystem, tons of customizability, and if you're google savy enough, you can make everything work as everyone I know has their own 'issue' they need to work out on their device.

WP has a growing ecosystem. Still missing a ton of essential apps, but the UI is fantastic. Live tiles are amazing and it runs super smooth. Also the hardware is a ++

Now I'm not a heavy app user, but I at least want parity with all the heavy hitters (certain multiplayer games, instagram, banking, flipboard, dropbox, etc). And the ones that are currently on there, like Yelp, could use some heavy optimizations because they're slow as hell.

That being said, I think I'm going to return to the party with the Lumia 920.

Milchjon

really the only thing Windows Phone is lacking among those is Pandora (official), Google Authentication (although there might be a third party tool) and a decent GPS app. And of course games, but those will improve with WP8 and the new capabilities of that.

(as you can see, I don't use much)

Nokia Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom