• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GAF Inn - $5,000 for a mark in Obsidian's Project Eternity [FUNDED!]

fMx07.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware of what this means: if you kick in to this fund, you will NOT be getting the game (unless you also separately donate directly). The end result will be a single, 5,000 lump sum donation towards the prize of having a tavern, NPC and weapon designed and named by NeoGAF Community. I am in talks with Obsidian to try and get the other digital products for everyone who pledges.

--------------------------------------------------------------

TODAY'S UPDATE: WE DID IT! WE FREAKING DID IT!!

iblmkwGCAQIa6k.gif

You all donated graciously. With that, you all own this equally. You are equal stakeholders of this project and everyone's opinion here will be voiced. My job will be to provide your ideas and designs to Obsidian, and their remarks to you. I will do my best to ensure that both the community and developers are happy. I am not very creative or an artistic genius to come up with fantastic artwork as reference for Obsidian, so it's all up to you guys. I am also not that creative with words and expressions on how the Inn/Tavern, Weapon and NPC should look like (Dibs* on making the shield called "Trollbashers" painted in emblem similar to NeoGAF logo lol) so it's your job to explain in great detail to the devs what will be included (Hell, English is not even my first language!). If the stakes get higher, I will include you all in the discussion regularly (if the developer discussion ends up being a regular thing).

This is your Inn. Build it from scratch. No one will interfere with it's creation. Mods are very supportive, and so is the community. I thank everyone for being so open to volturnus and Vulcano's assistant's original vision, and I thank you for trusting in me for handling the transaction side of the business well. I also thank the mods for being very honest and open about it, and having little to no interference in this, and also for being equal stakeholders.

We fucking did it. Now we have to construct it! Forge it from the minds of hundreds of us that believed in this idea and thousands of others who watched over this and provided feedback. I don't know where this will go, but all I can say is that my interference will be zero. Your idea is as fantastic as the next person, and the community in collective will decide. There will be no hatred over an idea not being picked and no favoritism to avoid a great design over a lesser design because of the member's great presence in the forum.

I love you all equally and you've made my day like no one else can.

Thank you, and have a fantastic weekend!

kidding on dibs :p

A lot of people have PM-ed me asking to pledge for this: I've decided to accept donations till the end of pledge. it'll help cover the currency conversion cost.

Click here to do so, and thank you all for being so enthusiastic!

159 Backers
$5,500 /$5,000 (110%) PLEDGED!
(Average of $35 per Inn Keeper!)
Biggest donation: $700.00!!

------------------------------------------------------

6XFeY.gif

Leaving a mark in Obsidian Entertainment's next project: Project Eternity.

What is Project Eternity?

Obsidian Entertainment said:
Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

TGmVz.gif

Design and Name an Inn or Tavern: Collaborate with Obsidian to design project eternity! NeoGAF’s personalized area will be prominently seen in the shipped game. We can name it (within reason), and with our input, the design team at Obsidian will create an Inn or Tavern in our honor. We will also receive the complete Kickstarter obsidian pack ($500 reward tier) + 10 extra digital downloadable copies of project eternity to gift + Design and Name an NPC + Design an Epic Weapon. We also get the top tier watcher forum badge.
Est. delivery: April 2014

E0G8G.jpg

YIbbo.gif

fTPOf.png

Limited to 3, I've decided to reserve the reward.

EdYQY.gif

With the target of $5,000; Each dollar donated towards this task will bring us closer to the "Name & Design" Bundle. Everyone who donates will be able to participate and collaborate with Obsidian to design the game and provide ideas.

Everyone who donates will get a first hand update on what is happening and what should happen! Every dollar counts towards the common goal!

cCNp2.gif

Frequently Asked Question:

Q. I want to be part of this! How do I pledge?
A. Thank you for showing enthusiasm! Pledging however is no closed. You can feel free to watch and participate!

Q. If I pledge, does that get me the game?
A. No. Please be aware that if you kick in to this fund, you will not be getting the game (Unless you separately donate directly). The end result will be a single $5,000 lump sum donation towards the prize of having a Tavern, NPC and Weapon designed and named by NeoGAF Community.

Q. The $5,000 tier is sold out! How will we get it?! Game Over, Man! Game Over!
A. We are one of the three people/communities that have reserved the $5,000 tier. Don’t be alarmed!

Q. I have a great idea for a Tavern, NPC and Weapon! Can I provide my idea and not donate?
A. The goal is that everyone who donates gets a priority over what the Tavern, NPC and Weapon would be. However, everyone is welcome to voice their opinion and help make this the best collaboration.

Q. How will we get in touch with Obsidian? I suppose it’ll be complicated with such a massive community and hundreds of others contacting them.
A. Obsidian will have a dedicated e-mail for people who are helping them design the game. This will ensure that we have a swifter response. Similarly, I have a dedicated email (the one I used for Paypal) that will be used to contact them.

Q. What are you going to do with the physical products and the 10 downloadable copies and the rest of the items that come with the Tavern, NPC and Weapon? Can you give it away to everyone in the community? What if I just want a digital copy and don’t care about physical?
A. I’ve been in talks with Obsidian. The initial plan was to give everything away via a raffle, where every dollar will count towards the raffle. A lot of you have voiced that you rather get nothing since you’ve already donated directly to Obsidian for the game, or that you rather get digital product. My goal is for everyone who pledges to at least get digital copies of:
  • Soundtrack;
  • Collectors’ Book;
  • Fun Pack (Wallpapers, etc);
  • Strategy Guide;
  • Novella by C. Avellone;
  • Campaign Almanac;
  • Kickstarter In-Game Item* (if possible);
  • Beta Key* (if possible);
  • Special GOLD thanks in credits: Credit will go to "NeoGAF Community" as it's a joint donation; and
  • Memorial Stone: Credit will go to "NeoGAF Community" as it's a joint donation.
These are the things that Obsidian can easily giveaway without jeopardizing any purchases. If we do end up getting additional digital copies of the game, that will be given out to the community.
It'll be a great way to spark the interest of those that were not sure of getting the game to eventually getting it if they love the material.

Who's Inn with this?! :D

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The Believer's Inn.

I'm inn-terested.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Set up the paypal options as soon as possible so you dont miss out on the sweet front page hits when the thread is still fresh. Good luck!

Opiate

It may be best to have a moderator handle the pooling of this, just so for safety (not me). I'm not sure how you feel about that, Shagg.

Regardless we need to make sure this is done in a safe way that everyone feels comfortable with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've already pledged (Edit: To the Kickstarter, that is, not this particular endeavour), but I'd like to think that, in the event that GAF is successful, Obsidian wouldn't mind giving those involved a key for the game itself (assuming everybody who participates pledges the minimum amount).

Gravijah

It may be best to have a moderator handle the pooling of this, just so for safety (not me). I'm not sure how you feel about that, Shagg.

Regardless we need to make sure this is done in a safe way that everyone feels comfortable with.

don't let charlequin or stumps handle it, i have a feeling they'd cut and run.

Yes. I agree with that. I will share the paypal and transaction information with mods. Rest assured, I'm invested too much time in GAF to fuck around or "scam".

Any or all mod participation is perfectly fine!

Google docs can be created to create a list of people who are interested and will donate.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm in for another $20-50 (already kicked the game proper)
I don't want anything out of it, I just want GAF to be able to afford this.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've already pledged, but I'd like to think that, in the event that GAF is successful, Obsidian wouldn't mind giving those involved a key.

Eh, no way. Potentially, this would be ~200 lost sales that WILL buy the game at one point anyway. Not like they would gain anything from it.

Yes thread is up fav it will check back soon for more info!

You are god shagg_187 is this works you new tag should be:

shagg_187
Owner of the official GAF INN

JaseC

Eh, no way. Potentially, this would be ~200 lost sales that WILL buy the game at one point anyway. Not like they would gain anything from it.

Sorry, I misspoke and edited accordingly. If those involved with this pledge (at least) the minimum amount required to receive a key as per the Kickstarter, nothing is lost, unless the operating assumption is that somebody else would have pledged the entire $5k. At the end of the day, though, a potential 200 lost sales is a drop in the ocean for an established developer such as Obsidian, and such good will gestures go a long way to fostering a receptive community.

But, hey, I'm just thinking aloud.

Toma

Cant put in much due to my current financial situation, but I'd love to put in at least 5-10 bucks.

Yes thread is up fav it will check back soon for more info!

You are god shagg_187 is this works you new tag should be:

shagg_187
Owner of the official GAF INN

No, No. I am not the owner. I'm just a passerby!

I don't want to take the fictional responsibility of the inn. If anything, the ficticious ownership can be given to the highest donor (or be put in a draw).

Anyways, everyone can decide what the goal is. I'll be back in an hr or so to see what decision has been made.

Again, this is global GAF participation! All are welcome to suggest ideas. Mod interference would be perfect and is acceptable.

Even if people can't donate when the pledge ends, they can still do so until the game releases. Let's see how it goes (I don't know! I'm excited and nervous!)

<3

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
But who gets all that swag!?

Id toss a few bucks your way to do this.

Potential idea?

- Every dollar you pledge towards the total earns you a "lottery ticket".
- Each swag item (or the less desirable items could be grouped into a more exciting prize) will have a raffle associated with it
- You spend your tickets to enter a given prize pool and winners will be drawn from there

Toma

Sorry, I misspoke and edited accordingly. If those involved with this pledge (at least) the minimum amount required to receive a key as per the Kickstarter, nothing is lost.

Eh, still thats sort of the point of the higher rewards. You only get 10 copies to share. Shagg might get a few more copies by stating that he doesnt want any other goods other than the Inn/char stuff and game copies, though.

Eh, still thats sort of the point of the higher rewards. You only get 10 copies to share. Shagg might get a few more copies by stating that he doesnt want any other goods other than the Inn/char stuff and game copies, though.

Yes. I am not keeping anything for myself. Everything will be given out to GAF.

TRios Zen

Subscribed to find out how to contribute.

Will be contributing to kickstarter separately, but am down to seeing a Gaf Inn inn the game.

Dresden

Potential idea?

- Every dollar you pledge towards the total earns you a "lottery ticket".
- Each swag item (or the less desirable items could be grouped into a more exciting prize) will have a raffle associated with it
- You spend your tickets to enter a given prize pool and winners will be drawn from there

A drawing would probably be the best idea, handled by an unnamed poster (me) to avoid any suspicions (ofc).

Toma

Yes. I am not keeping anything for myself. Everything will be given out to GAF.

No, I meant that Obsidian probably wont object to "talk" to the guys donating a huge amount of money. You could ask them not to make/send any physical goods for this pledge and only give out more game copies for the money they'll save for not producing and sending the physical goods. If you think this would be fine. Those would be way easier to share amongst those participating than physical goods.

JaseC

Fair point. Time will tell, but the first hurdle is this endeavour securing one of the two remaining spots of the $5k tier.

Miletius

I'll kick in a few extra bucks. No need for any of the swag, and I already backed the game proper for a copy. Just let us know the deets when it's all set up.

No, I meant that Obsidian probably wont object to "talk" to the guys donating a huge amount of money. You could ask them not to make/send any physical goods for this pledge and only give out game copies. If you think this would be fine. Those would be way easier to share amongst those participating than physical goods.

Ahh!!! Great idea! I'm sure they would love that!

Toma

Fair point. Time will tell, but the first hurdle is this endeavour securing one of the two remaining spots of the $5k tier.

Shagg already did. He IS the current 5k tier donor.

JaseC

Shagg already did. He IS the current 5k tier donor.

No he didn't. The OP says if the $5k goal isn't met he'd do his best to fill the gap, which means the goal hasn't been met.

Edit: D'oh, nevermind, I keep forgetting that Kickstarters aren't billed until the end of the pledge period.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

That's the shocking part, Shagg just went ahead and took one of the 5k slots.

No he didn't. The OP says is the goal isn't met he'd do his best to fill the gap, which means the goal isn't met.
If GAF doesn't meet the goal. He reserved the 5k slot, we don't need to worry about someone else taking it.

Top Bottom