• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was a horrible, horrible idea to re-watch The Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least admit that the
Avon and Stringer dynamic falling apart
offered some of the greatest scenes in the entire series.

Anyway, I need to watch this. And naturally, when it's on sale and I finally decide to watch it, I'm living somewhere where I can't get mail.

\I realize I'm in the minority on this. I just think that the Stringer/Avon interactions in Season 3 tower over everything else that the show ever did.

Oh yeah please don't get me wrong season 3 wire spoilers
I loved Stringer and Avon's storyline. And I definitely felt the loss of Idris Elba.

I just felt the other seasons as a whole had more to offer (aside from 5 which was decent at best aside from the amazing finale). For me at least.

edit: again to add something not (totally) the Wire related. Shane is the best character (and actor) in either show, sorry Omar and Stringer.

Puddles

Banned
At least admit that the

Anyway, I need to watch this. And naturally, when it's on sale and I finally decide to watch it, I'm living somewhere where I can't get mail.

That one scene towards the end of the season (The Wire Season 3 spoilers)
where Stringer and Avon are having drinks on the balcony, reminiscing about how far they've come, and each of them is secretly planning to betray the other, but neither of them knows it
is probably my favorite scene in television history because there's so much subtext.

Puckmarin

Banned
The series finale of The Shield might be the single greatest series finale ever. I'm not sure any show will ever be able to beat that.

As for The Wire, I think Season 4 is the best because it really did capture the essence of living in Baltimore.

I feel the procedural aspects of the Shield drag it down quite a bit. The arrests-of-the-week were completely forgettable until they started tying them into the main story. The series really comes together towards the end, though; great, satisfying finish.

At least admit that the

I missed this earler for some reason, but the show is on sale right now from amazon. $9.99 a season (although since you can't get mail that will be a problem). Just go in with an open mind and keep going. It's not realistic like the Wire, but as the show goes the drama is unparalled in any show I've ever seen. It gets Shakespearean.

season 5 spoilers, really don't read if you haven't gotten that far or it could kill one of the best moments in any show ever
The death of Lem man. It's so fucking heartbreaking, the only death in any show that's ever affected me. So well done. When Shane got Lem alone I knew what was coming, but dreaded every second that passed.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I missed this earler for some reason, but the show is on sale right now from amazon. $9.99 a season (although since you can't get mail that will be a problem). Just go in with an open mind and keep going. It's not realistic like the Wire, but as the show goes the drama is unparalled in any show I've ever seen. It gets Shakespearean.

Yeah, I absolutely intend to watch it, I just won't be able to get mail for 6 weeks and don't really want to spend the money and not see any of it for that long.

Is this on Netflix instant?

Yeah, I absolutely intend to watch it, I just won't be able to get mail for 6 weeks and don't really want to spend the money and not see any of it for that long.

Is this on Netflix instant?

No, the last season only used to be. I really don't know what FXs problem with this show is where they wouldn't put it on there. It could really grow the audience.

Did you see Terriers?

Forest Whittaker was an insufferable a-hole on The Shield. I've never wanted a character to die quite so much as him.
People always praise him, but i thought he chewed the scenery like crazy and i was glad when he left. He didn't detract from how brillant season 5 was, though.

CPS2

I really need to watch the shield again but the only problem i had with it, was it seemed really fast paced, they seemed to just smash through the plot every episode. The wire and sons of anarchy give a bit more time for the lines to sink in, i just found myself getting a bit lost at times with the shield. Personally i'd probably go the wire > breaking bad > SoA > the shield.

What? Over acting? He was perfect. The juxtaposition between this unhinged and repellent but morally righteous man and Vic's super charismatic but complete corruption is one of the series high water marks.

tim.mbp

Any reason why the show isnt on iTunes? Amazon Video only has Seasons 5 & 6. Nothing on Vudu. Not on Netflix streaming either.

iammeiam

Yeah, it's really bizarre that FX won't make it available aside from the DVDs. It's a show that would really benefit from netflix.

It's not FX--The Shield's rights are kind of weird. The first five seasons were released on DVD by Fox (the thicker packaging with 4:3 video--4:3 being the way the show was shot to be viewed, although protected for 16:9 viewing.) Then something happened and the home video rights switched over to Sony Pictures. Sony released the last two seasons, and rereleased the first five seasons in widescreen.

So technically I think this is Sony's fault; I don't know how much of Sony Pictures' library is up on Netflix.

It's not FX--The Shield's rights are kind of weird. The first five seasons were released on DVD by Fox (the thicker packaging with 4:3 video--4:3 being the way the show was shot to be viewed, although protected for 16:9 viewing.) Then something happened and the home video rights switched over to Sony Pictures. Sony released the last two seasons, and rereleased the first five seasons in widescreen.

So technically I think this is Sony's fault; I don't know how much of Sony Pictures' library is up on Netflix.

I impulse bought all of the seasons on amazon because I was sick of not owning them but something that's given be pause in the past was talk of the widescreen transfers being shit (more accurately, that the show shouldn't have been transferred to widescreen at all).

CPS2

Is Sons of Anarchy good?

I think its very good. Its got a larger central cast than the shield and you see things more from the bad guys perspective, which i find more entertaining than a "cop show."

Just another random comment about the shield, it seemed like some of the crimes they'd come up with in each episode were just offensive for the sake of being offensive, without really adding much. You kinda just expect to hear about some horrible stuff as just one-off, one episode stories, sometimes just to give the homicide cops something to do that episode.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Hoping the seasons i bought from Amazon today are the Sony ones, widescreen that is. Seems like it should it.

I think its very good. Its got a larger central cast than the shield and you see things more from the bad guys perspective, which i find more entertaining than a "cop show."

The Shield was from the bad guys perspective, which is why it was such a great show. The Strike Team were not good people. Ronny was the least filthy of the lot, and even he got dragged down eventually.

I watched two seasons of Sons of Anarchy and it was too white-washed painty waist for me. Having grown up in the era of the biker gang scene, I expect more volatile stuff and run-ins with the law.

Love the cast, but the show just felt like Wild Hogs FX edition. :X

Season 5
Your wife's pussy tastes like sweet butter.

So good.

I loved having to take a step back and realize the writers had me hating the good guy in this situation. Poor Kavanaugh. :(

iammeiam

I impulse bought all of the seasons on amazon because I was sick of not owning them but something that's given be pause in the past was talk of the widescreen transfers being shit (more accurately, that the show shouldn't have been transferred to widescreen at all).

The widescreen transfers aren't bad--I bought the complete series set Sony put out a while back. You do lose some of the (intentional) boxed-in cramped feel of the 4:3 frame, which is too bad, but I do think they kept framing for HDTV in mind while shooting so there aren't any glaring visual defects.

Ronny was the least filthy of the lot, and even he got dragged down eventually.

This is crazy talk; Lem was way less 'dirty' than Ronnie. It's actually pretty interesting to rewatch and realize every time an injured civilian needed help, it was Lem's job, and every time they needed to do something sneaky/crafty/backdoor it was Ronnie's area.

This is crazy talk; Lem was way less 'dirty' than Ronnie. It's actually pretty interesting to rewatch and realize every time an injured civilian needed help, it was Lem's job, and every time they needed to do something sneaky/crafty/backdoor it was Ronnie's area.

I'd need to watch it again.

Lem definitely seemed to be more in on the schemes than Ronnie when I was watching it.

Such a great series.

I'd say Justified is the next place for Shield fans to head instead of Sons of Anarchy choosing between FX series.

Dat Goggins. :B

Daigoro

fucking love this show.

the whole series needs to go up on Netflix asap. anyone have any idea why it hasnt? a goddamn travesty if you ask me.

Lem definitely seemed to be more in on the schemes than Ronnie when I was watching it.

Such a great series.

I'd say Justified is the next place for Shield fans to head instead of Sons of Anarchy choosing between FX series.

We dont see as much of Ronnie but Lem has the conscience. Ronnie tends to be more up for anything.

Such a great series.

Goggins is the only reason I want to watch Justified. I wish it was on Netflix. He really is probably my favorite actor just from his work on the Shield. He goes from a pretty much a joke character to the most tragic "hero" you could possibly imagine. entire series spoiler
what Shane does is the strike team to the extreme, but as he says, he's only making the plays as the coach calls them. Vic liked to pretend he was better, but he was so much worse.

Contrast Ronnie and Lem by
Ronnie finally finding out about Terry and nonchalantly telling Vic he wishes he would have told him so he could have been of more help and Lem's reaction to finding out about the same circumstance. Night and day.

Contrast Ronnie and Lem by
Ronnie finally finding out about Terry and nonchalantly telling Vic he wishes he would have told him so he could have been of more help and Lem's reaction to finding out about the same circumstance. Night and day.

The Shield season 7
Yes, Lem was the heart and Ronnie was the brain of the strike team (or rather he should have been Vic's confidant over Shane). Ronnie will luck out though in the end, because his prosecution would mean the end of Acevada's career and Wym's' goals for the barn. All of the above would have been worth it for Vic but not for Ronnie/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom