• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abandoned Insane Asylums

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

There is a reason these places make excellent places for horror movies. I wouldn't wanna spend one night in one of these places.

Would you?

Have anyone been to one and spent the night?

3ZtF2.jpg

GKW2H.jpg

Rtl8I.jpg

rT81K.jpg

uQ9IT.jpg

bFB93.jpg

CgAij.jpg

I1DSk.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my... this shit gives me the creeps.

SUPREME1

Banned
The madness and despair that took place there...

And you know there msut've been cases of people being held against there will, even if they really had nop real reason to be there.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Have anyone been to one and spent the night?

Sure, why I bet on any given internet message board you can find at least five to ten people who have found an abandoned insane asylum and spent the night there. You hardly had to ask!

xbhaskarx

Why the hell would anyone want to spend the night?

Come on don't be such a pussy, it has been abandoned for decades. Plus that one cute girl from class is going to be there, this is your last chance to hook up with her before she leaves for college.

So creepy. GAF, let's check out one of these places. Any in Vancouver?

I was talking earlier today with a friend about visiting some old cemeteries around here.

Amory

This one is right near my parents' house

215767_1232129839421_o.jpg

Fairfield%20Hills%20IMG_3676-Edit.jpg

3408715917_ea4989caff_z.jpg

Some kids I knew growing up swore they spent the night, but I never believed them.

I would never spend the night in one but I'd be up for some urban exploration in them. Places like these are cool as hell to just wander around in.

So creepy. GAF, let's check out one of these places. Any in Vancouver?

I was talking earlier today with a friend about visiting some old cemeteries around here.

There's supposedly a portal to hell under a ruined church in a cemetery not far from here.

I know the guy who's family owns the land, and he goes up there every Halloween with some friends to camp out.

Scary. :(

Trin

If there was one nearby and I had a quality video camera, I'd definitely consider it. It would be absolutely terrifying, but it's on my bucket list.

What's that one building that used to be a facility for the mentally challenged that's been in almost every ghost hunting show? That place seems the creepiest.

Puckmarin

Banned
I did some urban exploring at Danvers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danvers_State_Hospital) several years ago. It was during the day - there was no way in hell I'd stay there overnight. It was fun and creepy and the security guard that we ran into was cool but did warn us that if he saw us again we'd be in trouble so we couldn't stay too long.

FYI - Danvers is used in the movie "Session 9"

My wife is facinated by abandoned buildings so I've seen quite a few. One thing that we find strange is that even after a year of being abandoned, the paint starts peeling from the walls in a lot of buildings. It's like our presence is the only thing keeping the bulding in good condition.

Recon

Banned
I am surprised more horror movies are not set in abandoned insane asylums. I know a few are, but it seems like such a no brainer for a setting.

My wife is facinated by abandoned buildings so I've seen quite a few. One thing that we find strange is that even after a year of being abandoned, the paint starts peeling from the walls in a lot of buildings. It's like our presence is the only thing keeping the bulding in good condition.

That, or abandoned buildings not being heated and the frigid cold damaging the paint. Either one.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Once got an offer to drive out to some famous abandoned Asylum out west for a weekend with some pals, but I had a lot of college work to do so I turned it down.

Been regretting that one ever since.

Some time ago I did manage to visit some abandoned Dish Array here in MD while my pals and I were scouting locations to shoot for our 48 Hour Film Festival. I have some pictures we took on an old hard drive, might scoop that out and put em up if the HDD still works. Really wild seeing all the destroyed equipment all over the place.

There's supposedly a portal to hell under a ruined church in a cemetery not far from here.

I know the guy who's family owns the land, and he goes up there every Halloween with some friends to camp out.

Scary. :(

What? I've never heard of that... could you give more information? Sounds fascinating.

Kinda want to go see it, but kinda feel creeped out.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Are there any in the DC Metro area? Any DMV gaffers wanna go urban exploring?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There used to be one in Tallahassee that we would go to. Dangerous, but fun and creepy to wander around there.

Volimar

Funny story. My full of shit brother and his equally full of shit friends decided to do an "investigation" at a local abandoned place that had a reputation for being an asylum.

They regaled me with harrowing tales of doors slowly opening and closing and strange noises in distant rooms that they caught on digital recordings. I looked it up to see if I could get some history on the place and it had never been an asylum at all. It had been a boy's dormitory at one time and a halfway house for people in the depression and later veterans from world war 2.

The look on my brother's face when I told him.....priceless.

It's not that I'm a skeptic. On the contrary, I've had unreal experiences of my own. It was just funny to contrast the truth with how much they freaked themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom