• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three Moves Ahead: The Best Podcast on the Idle Thumbs Network

eznark

Banned

Three Moves Ahead is the leading strategy game themed podcast on the internet. Every week a panel of knowledgeable gamers with strong opinions meets to talk about the strategy and war games of the day, design issues and games in the wider world.

Subscribe in iTunes
Subscirbe via RSS
Archive

Show Twitter

Rob Zacny

Troy Goodfellow

New home so new thread. Same amazing show.

As this isn't your average "game of the week, flavor of the day" video game podcast, here are some great episodes from the archives to go back and listen to:

Episode 92: CLASSIC GAME ANALYSIS - X-COM

November 23, 2010 PCGamer's Dan Stapleton joins Troy, Rob and Bruce to talk about what made 1994's X-Com one of the best strategy/tactics games ever made. Tension, atmosphere, UI, level blending, real time v turn baed and indie efforts to bring the magic back. Hideous UK Box ArtXenonautsUFO: The Two SidesDan vs Evan in The Two SidesTom Chick on X-Com

eznark

Banned
250px-XCOM_Enemy_Unknown_Game_Cover.jpg

October 2, 2012 Bruce and Troy welcome Jake Solomon, lead designer of Firaxis' new XCOM, and interrogate him mercilessly. Jake explains his design choices and the trade-offs he faced in adapting and updating X-COM.

mp3
itunes

Corto

Great work evangelizing Eznark. It is indeed an excellent podcast and more people should listen to this.

Also, it appears the FTL episode was a great success in terms of number of downloads. Troy tweeted that it had similar numbers to the Starcraft 2 and Civilization episodes.

eznark

Banned
Since many of their episodes are so focused on specific issues and not just on the game of the week nonsense, if you pick out a few of your favorites I'll add them to the OP.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Nice, XCom! And no Tom Chick?! EFF YEAH!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/XCOM_Enemy_Unknown_Game_Cover.jpg/250px-XCOM_Enemy_Unknown_Game_Cover.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://traffic.libsyn.com/threemovesahead/ThreeMovesAhead188.mp3"]mp3[/URL]
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/three-moves-ahead-podcast/id307176617"]itunes[/URL][/QUOTE]

Bruce? I'm in

Its been a long time since I listened to TMA but Bruce was always my favorite (the few times he was on)

eznark

Banned
ibgUNEuZqGxH6y.png
October 9, 2012 Klei's Nels Anderson and Firaxis' Scott Lewis join Rob and Troy to talk about fog of war and hidden information in game design. They talk about Mark of the Ninja and how information-gathering becomes a key game phase, and how games like Civilization use fog of war as a way to keep the player focused on a small, manageable area at the start of the game. The group discuss other ways to represent information-gathering, touching on games like Wargame, XCOM, Panzer Corps, and even 2006's Chromehounds.

Apologies for any audio issues. We lost Scott Lewis's audio track to a software glitch.

MP3
iTunes

eznark

Banned
More XCOM!

iJkOYZbiG0mVC.png

October 15, 2012 Dave Heron and Jon Shafer return to the show to talk about XCom: Enemy Unknown with Julian and Troy. They talk about the streamlining Firaxis has done to the franchise and how it has paid off. How do the strategic and tactical levels meld? Is the voice acting any good? How replayable is it? And listen to their inevitable list of nitpicks. Troy's thoughts on XCom, Rob and Joe Robinson talk XCom and Rob argues in favour of its simpler design

mp3
iTunes

flowsnake

Latest episode (League of Legends) went straight over my head for the most part. Kind of a shame, the podcast is usually accessible even if you haven't played the game they discuss.

eznark

Banned
isUFxw1f3ezfT.png

October 30, 2012 Derek Paxton comes back to the show to talk with Tom, Rob, Bruce, and Troy about Fallen Enchantress, his massive revision of 2010's Elemental: War of Magic. He explains how he started reshaping Elemental, and how the project grew along the way. Tom is already a big fan, and even suggests that Fallen Enchantress may be close to Master of Magic-levels of greatness. Rob and Troy are a bit more reserved, and some arguments break out over diplomacy, the early game, and the tactical combat. Derek details his thinking on each of those points, and goes a long way to explaining why Fallen Enchantress works the way it does.

mp3
iTunes

Been really looking forward to this one! Tom, Rob, Troy and Bruce! Plus Derek Paxton! Plus Game of the Year Fallen Enchantress talk?! Wooo

eznark

Banned
June 5, 2013 Rob talks to the Paradox brain trust of CEO Fred Wester and VP Shams Jorjani to discuss publishing, Paradox's approach to the business, and whether reviewers are the enemy.
mp3
itunes

This is seriously a FANTASTIC episode with the CEO and VP of Paradox. Frank, funny and incredibly informative.

This is the most recent thread so I decided to bump it. They now have a Patreon and one of the milestone goals is a regular History book club where once a month they pick a history book and will talk about it on the podcast. I just started recently listening about a month ago and I really like the show. Shame it doesn't seem to have a large following on Gaf.

Top Bottom