• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zynga layoffs in Boston, Chicago, Austin

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heard on Twitter. Various tweets floating around

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/260802814773698560

"So far, I'm hearing closures of Zynga in Boston, Chicago, and Austin. INTERESTING TIMING, EH? "

RT @303: Zynga just laid off 100+ employees (incl. my friends) in its Austin office during the Apple Event. Gave them 2 hours to vacate. RT please.

-------

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/180005/Breaking_Mass_layoffs_closures_at_Zynga.php#.UIbid4YsYs2

Gamasutra has received first-hand confirmation that Zynga is shutting down its entire Austin-based studio of 100+ people, most of which have been there for over two years.

The announcements came during Apple's press conference this morning.

Rumors -- which we have not yet confirmed -- indicate that Chicago and Boston have been similarly affected.

Zynga Boston's game The Ville and a new IP are both "done," according to an affected employee.

More on this story as it breaks.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/...ff-100-employees-during-apples-event-shutters

There were mass layoffs at Zynga in Austin today, according to a former employee of the company, who said the announcement came during today's widely-publicized Apple iPad Mini announcement.

The company allegedly laid off more than 100 employees and shut down The Ville, a neighborhood-based reality simulation game that was released in June, a former employee told The Verge in an email. The company also laid off the entire team for a new unreleased game; both games "are now done," the ex-employee said.

The Ville had a strong debut, but its popularity dropped off drastically earlier this month. The game was also the target of a lawsuit filed in August by Electronic Arts, which alleged that Zynga had copied its game The Sims Social. Zynga counter-sued in September.

The news comes a day before Zynga is slated to announce its third quarter earnings results, which are projected to be another disappointment for the company's slumping stock.

We reached out to Zynga and were told the company will have a statement soon. We are still reporting this story and will update with a confirmation.

Update: A second source has confirmed there were layoffs in Austin, Chicago, and Boston today.

Update 2: Here's the memo from Zynga's CEO Mark Pincus:

INTERNAL NOTE FROM ZYNGA CEO AND FOUNDER, MARK PINCUS

Team,

Earlier today we initiated a number of changes to streamline our operations, focus our resources on our most strategic opportunities, and invest in our future. We waited to share this news with all of you until we had first spoken with the groups impacted.

As part of these changes, we’ve had to make some tough decisions around products, teams and people. I want to fill you in on what's happened and address any concerns you may have.

Here are the most important details.

We are sunsetting 13 older games and we’re also significantly reducing our investment in The Ville.

We are closing the Zynga Boston studio and proposing closures of the Zynga Japan and UK studios. Additionally, we are reducing staffing levels in our Austin studio. All of these represent terrific entrepreneurial teams, which make this decision so difficult.

In addition to these studios, we are also making a small number of partner team reductions.

In all, we will unfortunately be parting ways with approximately 5% of our full time workforce. We don’t take these decisions lightly as we recognize the impact to our colleagues and friends who have been on this journey with us. We appreciate their amazing contributions and will miss them.

This is the most painful part of an overall cost reduction plan that also includes significant cuts in spending on data hosting, advertising and outside services, primarily contractors.

These reductions, along with our ongoing efforts to implement more stringent budget and resource allocation around new games and partner projects, will improve our profitability and allow us to reinvest in great games and our Zynga network on web and mobile.

Zynga made social gaming and play a worldwide phenomenon, and we remain the industry leader. Our success has come from our dedication to a simple and powerful proposition – that play is not just something people do to pass time, it’s a core need for every person and culture.

We will all be discussing these difficult changes more with our teams and as a company. Tomorrow, Dave and I will be hosting a post-earnings webcast (details to follow) and next week we will be discussing our broader vision and strategy during our quarterly all-hands meeting. I’m confident this puts us on the right path to deliver on the promise of social gaming and make Zynga into an internet treasure.

If you have any immediate questions, I hope you will talk directly with your manager, Colleen, or me.

I look forward to talking with you tomorrow.
Mark.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
RT @303: Zynga just laid off 100+ employees (incl. my friends) in its Austin office during the Apple Event. Gave them 2 hours to vacate. RT please.

Gannd

Banned
Remember a couple years ago when all of these established designers were going to Zynga because social gaming was the future? No one wanted traditional games. I hope the next time we get analyst out there saying this BS we hold their past predictions against them.

Carl

Bad news for the workers and i hope they land on their feet and get new jobs soon

No sympathy for the company as a whole though

Current offices after the closure:

Zynga Headquarters (San Francisco).
Zynga East (Baltimore) – started in May 2009
Zynga India (Bangalore, India)
Zynga Los Angeles
Zynga China (formerly XPD Media, based in Beijing) – acquired May 2010
Zynga Austin (formerly Challenge Games) – acquired June 2010
Zynga ATX (formerly MarketZero, Inc.)
Zynga Boston (formerly Conduit Labs) – acquired August 2010
Zynga Japan (formerly Unoh Games, based in Tokyo) – acquired August 2010
Zynga Germany (formerly Dextrose AG, based in Frankfurt) – acquired September 2010
Zynga Dallas (formerly Bonfire Studios) – acquired October 2010
Zynga With Friends (formerly Newtoy, Inc., based in McKinney, Texas) – acquired November, 2010
Zynga New York (formerly Area/Code) – acquired January 2011
Zynga Seattle, opened October 2010
Zynga Chicago
Floodgate Entertainment – acquired March 2011
Zynga Toronto (formerly Five Mobile) specialized in mobile platforms, acquired July 2011
OMGPOP (Draw Something creators), acquired March 2012
Wild Needle, a casual games company that makes games which appeal to females, acquired May 2012
Zynga Eugene (formerly Buzz Monkey Software), acquired on June 4, 2012.

NichM

Banned

Zynga Headquarters (San Francisco). New 270,000 square feet (25,000 m2) headquarters at the site of former Sega offices.[96]
Zynga Los Angeles – opened February 2010[97]
Zynga ATX (formerly MarketZero, Inc.) – acquired April 2011
Zynga Germany (formerly Dextrose AG, based in Frankfurt) – acquired September 2010
Zynga With Friends (formerly Newtoy, Inc., based in McKinney, Texas) – acquired November, 2010
Zynga Seattle, opened October 2010[98]
Zynga Toronto (formerly Five Mobile) specialized in mobile platforms, acquired July 2011
Wild Needle, a casual games company that makes games which appeal to females, acquired May 2012[99]

Huh, I don't see a Chicago office in that list.

This really sucks for the employees and their families. Hopefully they will be able to find work elsewhere. As stated above, given the recent news about Zynga's stock performance this isn't terribly shocking though it is still sad to hear.

toneroni

Zynga Headquarters (San Francisco). New 270,000 square feet (25,000 m2) headquarters at the site of former Sega offices.[96]
Wild Needle, a casual games company that makes games which appeal to females, acquired May 2012[99]

Zynga's other NY office has former OMGPOP and Astroape teams working together. Both at around 30 members

Guevara

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/23/zynga-layoffs/

Possibly trying to hide the grim news by announcing it during Apple’s event, Zynga just laid off over 100 employees from its Bingo and TheVille teams in its Austin office, according to Justin Maxwell, though we can’t confirm this info yet. Maxwell, a former Apple and Smule employees. Zynga workers were apparently given just two hours to clean out their desks.

We’re awaiting a response from our contacts at Zynga, and will have more details soon.

King_Moc

Banned
In all honesty, fuck the lot of them. An awful company without an original idea between any them. If companies like this were to succeed then gaming would become a stagnant mess.

Actually, that's harsh, i feel sorry for the cleaners i guess.

Got overconfident and expanded to fast. Look at those dates! You don;t need that many people to make what are essentially flash games.

While I am sympathetic to those that lost their jobs...

ibjtKJP2IT3HbE.gif

Burn Zynga, burn.

One of the most shocking aspects of the story is how Zynga wagered so heavily on huge growth that they expanded regardless of how it'd impact their profits. They could've gotten away with keeping a much smaller operation, it was pure hubris and now they're dealing with a never ending stream of bad news which is killing the viability of their stock.

Dunan

Just texted a buddy who works at the Austin office - ---

2 hours to vacate confirmed.

This 2-hours-to-vacate thing is utterly ridiculous. At my office I have a ton of personal items (books in particular) that have accumulated over the years, probably have three or four times what I'm capable of carrying out with me, and since I live an hour from work I'd have no way to make multiple trips to come back for more.

I do hope Zynga will at least offer employees the courtesy of some cardboard boxes and the costs of shipping their stuff back to their homes.

Two hours to vacate... even prison gives you more time than that.

Jb

Didn't know they had so many studios around the globe.

The question is, will those laid off easily find a new job in the industry, when so many traditional devs are struggling? I hope so.

BiggNife

Journalist at Gameranx is tweeting that Zynga purposefully did the firings during the Apple keynote to avoid press. That's dirty as hell.

VVIS

Neo Member
This 2-hours-to-vacate thing is utterly ridiculous. At my office I have a ton of personal items (books in particular) that have accumulated over the years, probably have three or four times what I'm capable of carrying out with me, and since I live an hour from work I'd have no way to make multiple trips to come back for more.

I do hope Zynga will at least offer employees the courtesy of some cardboard boxes and the costs of shipping their stuff back to their homes.

Two hours to vacate... even prison gives you more time than that.

Having been through a mass closure at another company - the higher ups are super worried about people going nuts and stealing company property. After about 45 minutes, they had remotely shut us all out of the network so that we couldn't even log in to our computers. Two hours is barely even enough time to take it all in and start an email list to network with your old buds (who you might not be connected with on facebook or whatever).

I still find it amazing that employers can notify workers of layoffs 2 hours before they close everything down. Hopefully they got decent severance packages.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
We've had a lot of crazy financial shit happen this year. The whole GAME fiasco and now this. What else am I missing? If I'm reading articles correctly, people who were laid off from GAME earlier this year in Ireland weren't even given redundancy.

I suppose the lesson here is that the gaming industry isn't immune from executives and shareholders screwing over everyone else just like any other field.

BiggNife

:(
There are a tons of talent at those studios.

I don't think anyone is saying "FUCK THOSE EMPLOYEES WOO!" The guy you quoted even said he's sympathetic to people who lost their jobs.

I think it's okay to feel bad for talented employees who got laid off while still being unsympathetic to the fact that a very poorly managed company that makes all its money out of making wholesale ripoffs of other games littered with ridiculous microtransactions might finally be falling apart.

TheOddOne

Breaking: Mass layoffs, closures at Zynga
Zynga is crumbling.

Gamasutra has received first-hand confirmation that Zynga is shutting down its entire Austin-based studio of 100+ people, most of which have been there for over two years.

The announcements came during Apple's press conference this morning. Rumors -- which we have not yet confirmed -- indicate that Chicago and Boston have been similarly affected.

Zynga Boston's game The Ville has been affected, as well as an unannounced new IP. More on this story as it breaks.

<3s out to those out of a job. Social Gaming! The worldwide phenomenon that would transform video games, and if you didn't get with the picture you were going to get left behind. Good thing the F2P phenomenon is permanent and can only increase in popularity and success forevermore.

What's going to be interesting is to see all those companies that tried to pivot over to that space respond to this. A ton of companies in the last few years saw the Zynga dollar signs and shifted in that direction.

Dunan

Having been through a mass closure at another company - the higher ups are super worried about people going nuts and stealing company property. After about 45 minutes, they had remotely shut us all out of the network so that we couldn't even log in to our computers. Two hours is barely even enough time to take it all in and start an email list to network with your old buds (who you might not be connected with on facebook or whatever).

That too -- though I suppose with FB using real names, you could eventually throw together a group of ex-employees assuming enough of them are on social networks, which is a safe assumption these days.

If they're worried about people stealing stuff, they had better be 110% scrupulous about eventually returning employees' personal property to them. This "clothes on your back and whatever you can carry" evacuation doesn't sit well with me at all.

And sorry to hear about your Zynga-like experience. Hope you landed on your feet!

iammeiam

We've had a lot of crazy financial shit happen this year. The whole GAME fiasco and now this. What else am I missing? If I'm reading articles correctly, people who were laid off from GAME earlier this year in Ireland weren't even given redundancy.

I suppose the lesson here is that the gaming industry isn't immune from executives and shareholders screwing over everyone else just like any other field.

The 38 Studios clusterfuck of 'LOL remember that mortgage we took over? It's baaack!' And cancelled health insurance was this year, too.

It's happening in alphabetical order.
  • Austin
  • Boston
  • Chicago

But seriously, it's fucked up to do it during the Apple conference, if they were doing it to keep it hush hush.

Sucks for those who lost their jobs, maybe this time they can move to a better studio. Zynga can crash and burn for it's horrible practices.

Batgirl

2 hours to vacate isn't entirely odd when it comes to layoffs.
I've been laid off twice, once they gave us 2 days notice (coming into work the second day was completely optional) and the second time there was no notice, they'd already packed everything up. Signed some papers, was handed a box and ushered out the door. It all depends on the company really.

No matter what, it sucks, especially coming up on the Holidays. Instead of focusing on how evil or not evil a company is, we should focus on trying to find the effected people job leads!

Top Bottom