• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also good luck if you have the 8 GB Wii U.

Surely after it's downloaded and starts to install it removes that file since it'll be in the flash memory right? Boneheaded of Nintendo if it isn't.

jonno394

Nintendo really oughta get this on a disc asap.

I wonder if Theres anyway to download through pc, transfer to external hdd then install. Much safer.

Ydahs

Is this 100% confirmed? That's insane.

How is Nintendo going to handle thousands of people simultaneously downloading 5GBs?

5GB !?!

I work for Apple as a tech advisor and customers with less-than-optimal connections express quite a bit of displeasure at learning that Mountain Lion is about 4GB as a download. Nintendo's proprietary software UPDATE being bigger than that is insanity.

Van Owen

Banned
Sucks for Basic owners.

Like myself. :|

It took no additional space on IGN's Wii U. Just replaces your old OS file.

But still fucking ridiculous. Nintendo at least should have had this on some retail discs. Expecting people day 1 to download that big a file to add basic functionality is insane.

LQX

No wonder some are plugging out there WiiU's. They might go over there bandwidth limit just for a firmware.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
HOLY SHIT - 5GB ??!! that can't be true right??? - the idea that Nintendo launched a console with a 5gb patch is NUTSO. I remember a time when people freaked out over 1st day small patches for games, let alone a console.

Imagine the excitement on Christmas day....only to be drowned out by a 3 hour patch.

This would mean they didn't finish in time but knew they had to get the hardware out for the holiday season. wow...

braves01

Banned
Wait... so if you have the Basic system you can't update it? :/

No you can.

It took no additional space on IGN's Wii U. Just replaces your old OS file.

But still fucking ridiculous. Nintendo at least should have had this on some retail discs. Expecting people day 1 to download that big a file to add basic functionality is insane.

If this is to be believed it doesn't eat your space either.

dmr87

No problem for me personally but man, it's still a ridiculous patch and even worse for those with bad internet/bandwidth restrictions.

The Lamp

I am so glad I am not having to fight other Wii U owners for a chance to download this thing right now...(I don't have a Wii U I'm just saying I'm glad I don't have to sit there and fight lol)

How is this considered a good approach?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any reason why they couldn't ship the console with the complete OS? I mean, really?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Even at 20Mbps, this would take over a half hour. I guess you better pop in the Dark Knight series while you download your update.

Blueblur1

Glad I pre-ordered a Deluxe. Doesn't make up for the fact that this is absolutely ridiculous. How ridiculously backwards of Nintendo. Sigh.

Rich!

Anyway, I'm fucking pissed off.

5gb? On my connection, thatd take at least 14 hours. Looks like I will be playing offline until the the end of the first day, and then just leave it downloading overnight.

What the fuck, Nintendo. You are fucking this up badly.

Sandfox

Rich from IGN said on twitter that he had the same amount of HD space after the update as his did prior so the data more than likely delete itself afterward. I guess this explains why the update took so long though lol

... twitter is one app. How much does the entire ios take up? Few gig at least.

Yes but iOS has software other than just the springboard.

I mean, I dunno man. I watched that live stream for like an hour and I saw a big white screen with a few dozen Miis and a Twitter client rip off. That's about it.

Top Bottom