• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

Darko

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or making fun of my math statement, its late. Its not hard to find out the size of a file if you know the average download speed and download length...
I was trying to be funny... I guess I failed :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why would it brick with the download at 10 percent?

I'm pretty sure they don't delete the old OS until the new one is completely downloaded and ready to install.

Persona86

Banned
So what happens if Sony and/or Microsoft go the game streaming route and don't include an ethernet port in their consoles?
Well we will have to use wireless then :)

I'm just stating the facts. I don't see how adding Ethernet connection makes much of a difference in costs, it's worth adding when many people prefer Ethernet. Hopefully wireless connections get better for multilayer in the future then Ethernet will not be needed. Win Win.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Raspberry Pi computer costs 25 and 35 dollars. The 35 dollar version adds 2 USB ports and an ethernet port.

Therefore not having ethernet on a system is saving less than 10 dollars if you use that example, probably less than 5 dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Multiply 5 dollars by the amount of consoles sold( it actually costs a lot less than 5 dollars to do this but just humor me here). If you sell 1 million consoles thats 5 million dollars you don't have to shell out.

Edit: holy crap, jonno brainjacked me.

jonno394

Multiply 5 dollars by the amount of consoles sold( it actually costs a lot less than 5 dollars to do this but just humor me here). If you sell 1 million consoles thats 5 million dollars you don't have to shell out.

I like kanye too. We are One in the same you and I ;)edit- i think Thats a kanye avatar. Damn my small phone screen

Persona86

Banned
Dude, there is no slow connection when you play wireless on a regular home. Unless you are really far far way from your router.

I see a difference with mine.

It downloads fast while wireless, but I often get lag when gaming wireless. Maybe it's just me.

Darko

And $15 profit for each sucker you get to pay for an adapter..

I do see some places selling it for $9 though, thats not that bad.

fritolay

Points is that of all the things we are talking about, leaving out the ethernet jack is a very small cost. Nintendo prints money so that should not be a big deal. :)

HolyTaco

$5 dollars is a solid saving per console. I'm fine with wireless on nintendo console, I don't plan on doing any serious multi gaming on it but there's all this misinformation in these threads about wireless being just as good these days or hdmi for audio sounding better LOL I guarantee this makes NO difference in sound quality vs optical. No need to make justifications for ninty saving on dollaz, this is the first time I'm aware of them selling a console at a loss

scurker

I'd feel pretty good saying it's about 1GB.

sOfST.jpg

On average, I've been getting about 2,000kb a sec which is slower than usual, but I guess their servers are throttling the downloads. Hopefully later updates won't be as bad.

AzaK

It took no additional space on IGN's Wii U. Just replaces your old OS file.

But still fucking ridiculous. Nintendo at least should have had this on some retail discs. Expecting people day 1 to download that big a file to add basic functionality is insane.

What, so a downloadable patch they just finished could be pressed to disk and distributed around the country in under a day?

System just finished downloading the update. It is actually doing the update now. It took about two hours to get where it's at now.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
What, so a downloadable patch they just finished could be pressed to disk and distributed around the country in under a day?

Why of course. Haven't you heard of time travel my friend? Obviously they'd use the company Delorean and go back and have it added at the plant pre printing duh!!!!

Shady859

East coasters playing or still updating???? Maybe they'll have all this settled by the time I get one come maybe tax refund time. I gave my pre-order to a friend for her kids Christmas and bought a iPad Mini instead. :)

MarkusRJR

I'm planning to get the basic Wii U if I can't find a deluxe unit. I know you only get 7.2gb usable out of the box, but does this actually take away from that storage or will it just be deleted/stored elsewhere once it installs ala Xbox 360/PS3? Has anyone confirmed this yet? If so I think I might just wait for a deluxe unit if I don't find one today.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've been starring at this blue blob for a progress meter so long that my mind is playing tricks on me. I think it is moving.... Not sure.

fritolay

They print money because they minimize cost.

In bulk its less than a dollar. But we used his numbers as an example.

OK if it is less than 1 dollar that is just a damn shame then, and very poor to not put one on a console. Especially a Nintendo console where if it was like the Wii the customer base will need this. (Generalizing the customer base includes many families that are not technically inclined)

Darko

I'm planning to get the basic Wii U if I can't find a deluxe unit. I know you only get 7.2gb usable out of the box, but does this actually take away from that storage or will it just be deleted/stored elsewhere once it installs ala Xbox 360/PS3? Has anyone confirmed this yet? If so I think I might just wait for a deluxe unit if I don't find one today.
7.2? I thought it was like 3gb...

prwxv3

I've been starring at this blue blob for a progress meter so long that my mind is playing tricks on me. I think it is moving.... Not sure.

At least the progress bar did not move really fast at the beginning but as soon as it gets close to the end it stops and then takes forever.

This is unlikely, but what if some of the Wii Us already have a newer (if not current) firmware preloaded, because they were manufactured later?

Although a comparison of the info screens showing the version numbers would probably disprove this quickly, though.

scurker

Hmm. Seems like the update is smaller than 1GB. Mine just finished at around 0.88GB downloaded. That download speed. :(

MarkusRJR

7.2? I thought it was like 3gb...
Fucking gross. With some downloadable games on PSN taking up nearly 3gb alone (Hell Yeah! for example) pretty much means I need to buy an external hard drive if I want to download non-retail games. I might wait for deluxe units to be more available.

So do we know if the update will take away from the 3gb on the basic model or does it just get deleted once installed?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
At least the progress bar did not move really fast at the beginning but as soon as it gets close to the end it stops and then takes forever.

Heh, mine well probably just take forever to get there AND stop right at the end for another forever.

I would say I'm at 33% now.

Exuro

Fucking gross. With some downloadable games on PSN taking up nearly 3gb alone (Hell Yeah! for example) pretty much means I need to buy an external hard drive if I want to download non-retail games. I might wait for deluxe units to be more available.

So do we know if the update will take away from the 3gb on the basic model or does it just get deleted once installed?
The OS update only changes from the 4.2GBs that's already removed. It won't touch the 3GBs.

Top Bottom