• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Izick

Oh god that review caused one of the biggest shitstorm's I've ever seen....

gerstnh1.jpg

Zelda fans were mad.

Fuck, I forgot how bad it was. No wonder he seems to hate most of the internet and message boards in particular, I don't blame him.

I think that was how I got into video game message boards.

Yeah, I just checked my GameFAQs account, Novemeber 1st. I must have made an account to ask a question, then saw the Twilight Princess board during all this.

Cool.

AntMurda

I thought it was one of the best games I ever played. Even with the disguting NPC designs and the horrible fishing village segment. The dungeons were still mindblowing, the wolf was cool, some of the best music, and a really great ending.

I still haven't managed to play Skyward Sword.

For my money TP was the moment when Zelda went from peerless to just another franchise, albeit it a good one. I think Jeff's review was spot on and the Nintendites couldn't handle it.

Bingo, I did enjoy playing it and it is a well made solid game, but as a sucessor to games such as ALttP, OoT, MM and Wind Waker it pales in comparison to all of them. It felt like they were just executing on a formula, probably after all the asinine rage people had over Majora's Mask and Wind Waker being "too different" so they made just another 3d Zelda game with the basic stuff and precious little that gave it any flair or specific identity.

Empty

love the game. i agree with his score - in that it's basically what i'd give the game - but not his specific complaints.

reaction is still hilarious. my favourite is the gamefaqs thread just titled: "fuck you girthmann". i wonder if nintendo will create that much fervour in anticipation of a single game again. probably not.

This is one of the reasons that game journalism is stuck in Doritosland.

Why give up free stuff and advertising money in order to keep game press apart from game marketing when no one will thank you for it, but in fact will probably hate, flame and threaten you for it?

This was even bigger than the Uncharted 3 review thread. The meltdowns were unprecedented and have never been matched since.

Disagree all you want about the score (I think attaching a number to a review helps to devalue the text portion, but I digress) but he's entitled to his opinion about the game and I think he was more or less spot on.

Dragon

Banned
Now I know why LevityNYC hates Giantbomb. Twilight Princess is not a good game. Wind Waker and Zelda II are my two favorite Zeldas. Twilight Princess has some fucking awful design decisions and people going nuts over 8.8 are more insane than the rest of us insane gamers!

It was the Eurogamer review of Uncharted 3 of its day.

The internet got in a bit of a tiff over the UC3 review but this was a bit diffrent.

No one sent death threats to the Eurogamer reviewers home as far as I can remember.

And in hindsight Jeff probably over scored TP but the 8.8 reaction just shows how dumb the 100 point review scale is.

Now I know why LevityNYC hates Giantbomb. Twilight Princess is not a good game. Wind Waker and Zelda II are my two favorite Zeldas. Twilight Princess has some fucking awful design decisions and people going nuts over 8.8 are more insane than the rest of us insane gamers!

You're complaining about awful design decisions while praising WIND WAKER AND ZELDA 2?!

Alrus

I loved Twilight Princess, but the reactions to the reviews were really stupid, thankfully it didn't really happen with Skyward Sword...

Wasn't U3 highly acclaimed? What happened?

Eurogamer gave it an 8 and some people got really mad before even playing the game. Almost always happen when a game in an highly acclaimed exclusive franchise gets an "average" score.

I don't know, maybe I'm old now but gaming forums and communities don't have that epic feel they once had. I know thats a bad way to put it but nothing feels special anymore to warrant that type of response. Anything can get a 7.5 these days, and there is so many outlets that they just get lost in the pile.

Codeblue

I like Twilight Princess way more than Ocarina. Still the best dungeon design in the series.

Reaction was super embarrassing for everyone who partook.

ohlawd

lol what am I reading?

Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time but Twilight Princess dumps on WW design-wise.

Lyriell

At first I was mad! (at gamespot and Jeff) but then I realised I was just mad at Nintendo... for making a great, albeit not amazing Zelda game.)

If you look back on it objectively... 8.8 was a completely reasonable review score for that game. As someone said, it rounds up to a 9. Nobody is going to scoff at a 9.

Some people can be unreasonable about things they feel passionate about. Some people can also just be unreasonable.

The only person reasonable here was Jeff doing a good unbiased job.

Also: this is a strange topic to bring up 6 years later.

The internet got in a bit of a tiff over the UC3 review but this was a bit diffrent.

No one sent death threats to the Eurogamer reviewers home as far as I can remember.

Yeah, the Uncharted situation was mainly here to be fair, and not really as widespread as the TP reaction.

The only fanatical reactions that I can recall as being similar were during the Geohot situation (when Gaffers were unashamedly calling for George Hotz to be sexually assaulted for his crimes against Sony), and the Bayonetta 2 Nintendo resurrection, in which people on Twitter were making death threats, and in one ugly case, advocating the nuclear genocide of Japan. These were utterly venomous, but no where as widespread as the Zelda TP explosion.

Top Bottom