• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Layoffs at Sanzaru Games (Sly 4)

Carl

Not good, they seem like a great bunch of people.

Good luck to everyone laid off.

(Also, looking forward to Sly 4)

iammeiam

Hope this isn't true, it'd really suck if it were. They should at least have a chance to have their game flop or flourish. Unless it's just been completed and these are standard end-of-cycle layoffs for the industry?

This happens as almost every Sony owned (or contracted) studio (except the huge ones) winds down on development. They basically hire temp help to get the game through crunch time and then as the game winds up their contract is up and they aren't retained. It's shitty for them but they know this going in.

I don't have any first hand info on this but im guessing sanzaru needed some extra heads to accomplish some things with the game that they didn't already have on their staff and now they are letting them go.

Or it's nothing at all. I would be shocked if Sanzaru is firing core members of their team before their biggest game ever even launches.

Pranay

This happens as almost every Sony owned (or contracted) studio (except the huge ones) winds down on development. They basically hire temp help to get the game through crunch time and then as the game winds up their contract is up and they aren't retained. It's shitty for them but they know this going in.

I don't have any first hand info on this but im guessing sanzaru needed some extra heads to accomplish some things with the game that they didn't already have on their staff and now they are letting them go.

Or it's nothing at all. I would be shocked if Sanzaru is firing core members of their team before their biggest game ever even launches.

Well i guess thats the case

Berordn

Oh? I didn't know it was finished.

I might be remembering something wrong, but in August when they announced it was delayed to February, Sony made a statement shortly after that it was to spread out releases for the Vita and PS3, and some Sanzaru folks commented that the game was basically done at that point.

They probably used the extra time for polish, but chances are they've already hit their target.

UberTag

We should do a roll call of active Microsoft and Sony studios as we head into 2013.
Is it possible that MS actually has more of them actively developing games?

If only game layoffs could be prevented because a game is "looking pretty cool."

that's true, still, some of the comments in this thread are hilarious. the game isn't even out, how the hell is this sony's fault? how could they even start firing people because they didn't meet expectations if the thing's not even out until february? call them out on eat sleep play, lightbox and superbot (perhaps, we'll see on that one) because they didn't do much marketing but sanzaru? that's pretty silly.

Hoping this does well (more platformers please =( ) but is anyone even expecting this to do decently? Sony seems to have forgotten how to market almost all their games this year and I have a feeling all their marketing budget will be spend on God of War early next year.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It's done though. They've said in interviews that it was held back by Sony, though it was ready to launch this year.

Sad to see this, regardless.

Oh well then this is just how any dev does business in this brave new world.

Funny how all layoffs are being instantly reported more than I remember before...

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
Sorry for the bump (I can't post new threads)...

Is Sanzaru still around? I really enjoyed the Sly Collection, and just got a Vita to play Sly 4 with. Their website is completely out of date, and I can't really find any info on them except this page on NeoGAF.

Is Sanzaru still around? I really enjoyed the Sly Collection, and just got a Vita to play Sly 4 with. Their website is completely out of date, and I can't really find any info on them except this page on NeoGAF.
They're making a PS4 title.

VanWinkle

I mean, as far as we know it is. Haven't heard anything otherwise. Sly did surprisingly well.

Boerseun

Banned
They're working on something for Playstation 4, if I remember correctly. I don't have a source for you though. Sorry.

They're posting on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/sanzaru
Lately they linked this article http://www.gamechup.com/sony-reveals-studios-making-exclusive-content-for-playstation-platforms/
ps4-exclusive-studios.jpg

They're working on a PS4 game.

I-hate-u

Don't scare me like that mang.

Skeff

Good to hear.

According to wikipedia (I know I know...) they're still working on a project and it says PS4.

From what I've heard other posters say it's likely they're working on some kind of Sly game probably for any combination of PS3/PSV/PS4

Empty

had a little scare reading this thinking it was a new thread and they'd had a game canceled

since this thread was posted they started re-hiring, presumably because they've been contracted for a new game by sony

which i'm very much looking forward to <3 sanzaru

Top Bottom