• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

headerl0rys.jpg

Skyrim OT1 | Skyrim OT2 | Modding discussion

Due to the nature of Skyrim's DLC, having seperate threads for each is pointless and counterproductive.
Treat this thread as Skyrim's OT3. All your Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn discussion goes here.

MGRgACql.jpg

It's over. The journey is done. The team at Bethesda has moved on from Skyrim, and the Legendary Edition - containing the original game and all of the DLC - is out now for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

dragonborn2bo1p.png

Dragonborn is Skyrim's third piece of downloadable content, and the first to feature a new landmass. Far to the north, on the frozen island of Solstheim,
a mysterious Dragon Priest has risen from the dead. Once, he ruled over the island with an iron fist, all in name of the Dragon Cult. But this Dragon Priest
was different than the others. He did not worship the dragons, he consumed them. The dragons were his thralls. He, too, is Dragonborn. He was the First,
you are the Last. And he has returned.​

Explore the island of Solstheim as you unravel the mystery behind the First Dragonborn: there are many new settlements and dungeons to discover.
Many familiar creatures will stand in your way, including the peaceful Netches, engimatic Rieklings and dangerous Ash Spawn. Several armor types
first seen in Morrowind make their return as well, including Bonemold, Chitin, Nordic and Stalhrim.

Aside from Solstheim, players will gain a new travel option with the inclusion of Dragon mounts. Players who reach the maximum level will find themselves
being hunted by a mysterious warrior, who wishes to test his mettle against the Last Dragonborn.

Dragonborn is available now. It'll set you back 1600 Allards, or 20 dollars.

Click here for the trailer.

hearthfiredeq1a.png

Hearthfire is the second piece of downloadable content for Skyrim. With it, plots of land in Falkreath Hold, The Pale and Hjaalmarch become available for purchase by the player.
The player can collect resources to build his own home. Do you want a nice little cottage, or would you rather have a longhouse even Jarls would envy you for? The choice is yours.

Build a home, hire a steward, get married and adopt some children, but don't get too comfortable: someone has to protect your homestead when the giants come a-knockin'.

Hearthfire is available now. It'll cost you 400 Allards or 5 dollars.

dawnguard38p0i.png

Dawnguard is the first piece of downloadable content for Skyrim. The Volkihar, an ancient Vampire clan living off the coast of Skyrim, have become restless.
Vampires brazenly walk the streets, attacking anyone they see fit. In response, the Dawnguard has reformed. This age-old order of Vampire slayers invites the player to join them,
but it quickly becomes clear there's more to the Vampire threat than just the release of the new Twilight movie. Harkon, a Vampire Lord of incredible power,
has rallied the Vampires to his cause, and now moves forward on achieving his goal: the annihilation of the sun.

Players can choose to join the Dawnguard or become a Vampire Lord, with the story taking your choice into account. Several new dungeons are opened up all over Skyrim,
many containing new types of enemies. Thought the Chaurus were bad? Wait until you meet the Chaurus Hunter.

Crossbows also make their glorious return from the days of Morrowind. These weapons pack one hell of a punch, but are slow to reload.
They will come in handy when fighting Revered and Legendary Dragons, who now stalk the skies of Skyrim. Players can slay them and craft Dragonbone weapons from their remains.

Fancy a more personal approach? Maybe you can transform into a Vampire Lord. These powerful beings can grip enemies, break necks and tear flesh from bone
with their sharp claws. Both Vampire Lords and Werewolves can now better themselves by using their respective perk trees, as well.

Not satisfied with the look of your character? The Thieves Guild in Riften has just acquired the services of a face sculptor: seek her out and be forever changed.
Or if you want, you can strut around Skyrim with your new undead mount, and be the pimp you were born to be.

Dawnguard is available now. It'll set you back 1600 Allards or 20 dollars.

skyrim9cqlx.png

The land of Skyrim is in turmoil. With the death of the High King, a Civil War came sweeping over the land. The Stormcloaks favor independence from the Empire,
while the Empire itself seeks to maintain its control over its oldest province. In the meantime, the nefarious Thalmor play both sides, hopening to weaken the Empire
in an attempt to finish the destruction they started thirty years earlier.

And now, in the midst of this chaos, dragons have returned to Tamriel. These ancient creatures are the heralds of our doom, the vanguard of Alduin the World-Eater.
This ancient dragon was banished once before, but he has returned to fulfill his destiny and devour the world.

But there is yet hope. There is still one the dragons fear. Anointed by the gods, he is the only one who can stop Alduin and save the land.
In the dragon tongue he is called Dovahkiin, but the people of Skyrim call him Dragonborn.

Patch notes:

Bethesda has also released a high-res texture pack for the PC version of Skyrim. This has been updated with hi-res textures for all three pieces of DLC.
You can find it for download on the game's Steam page.

pocketguidebyq9t.png

From the quills of the Imperial Geographical Society

It has been exactly 200 years since the previous edition of this Pocket Guide was released. Since then, many things have changed:
an Empire has fallen and been reborn, borders have been redrawn and wars have been fought. So far, the Fourth Era has been
a time of great turmoil. However, we at the Imperial Geographical Society are convinced many conflicts can be avoided with
some simple common sense and knowledge. After all, one who knows what the Green Pact is won't be so eager to accept
an invitation to a Bosmeri banquet! That is why, on the 200th anniversary of our previous guide, we bring you this new, updated version.
This is not a simple update, but a complete rewrite, to paint an accurate picture of Tamriel as it is today. We hope this guide keeps you informed,
and more importantly, safe.

Excerpt: On Tamriel

tamrieltile11ppm.png

Tamriel. It is a name we all know and all take for granted. Yet our continent has had many names over the course of history: the Arena; Starry Heart; Dawn’s Beauty.
It has seen great unity and great strife. During the last years of the third era, in the time leading up to the Oblivion crisis, the land was relatively peaceful.
To be true, even then there was unrest between the provinces, but the Elder Council handled their grievances while the Legion kept
the more violent client states in line. After the collapse of the Empire, however, unrest between the provinces increased. Black Marsh annexed part of Morrowind,
while the rest became an uninhabitable wasteland when Red Mountain erupted. During the Void Nights, the night skies remained empty for over two years.
The Thalmor seized control of the Summerset Isle and Valenwood and resurrected the Aldmeri Dominion. The Great War bathed the land in blood and fear.
Not even the Imperial City, jewel of the Empire, was safe from the Aldmeri onslaught. Even now, after the White-Gold Concordat, peace is fragile.

Excerpt: On Skyrim

skyrimtileeyr73.png

Skyrim has an abundance of two things: freezing cold and ancient history. Long ago, the rugged land was inhabited by ancient elves.
When humans first arrived in Tamriel from the northern continent of Atmora, they arived on Skyrim's frozen shores. There, they
came into contact with the Snow Elves. Despite their differences, the races were initially at peace with one another. As time went
on, however, the elves began to feel threatened by the ever increasing human population. In an event that later came to be known as
the Night of Tears, the elves attacked, nearly wiping out all humans in the process. Only King Ysgramor and his sons escaped
with their lives. They returned to Skyrim with a new Atmoran fleet and drove the elves away in a bloody war of conquest.
And so, Skyrim became the first human kingdom on the continent.

Today, Skyrim is the home of the descendants of those first humans to set foot on the continent: the Nords. It is a cold land,
but far from the frozen wasteland it’s sometimes made out to be: from the grassy tundra of Whiterun to the rocky badlands
of the Reach, Skyrim is a province with a diverse geography. The province is divided into nine Holds, each ruled by a Jarl.
Above the Jarls stands the High King, a Jarl elected to the highest seat of office by his peers. However, the land has been
leaderless since Ulfric Stormcloak - the Jarl of Windhelm - assassinated the High King using his gift of The Voice. The Stormcloak
Rebellion seeks to rid Skyrim of the Empire and, by killing Skyrim's ruler, has sparked a civil war.

The Stormcloaks and Imperials are not the only factions in Skyrim. Skyrim’s mages have organized into the
College of Winterhold. The Companions offer swords and axes for hire. The Thieves Guild, hidden in plain sight, is always
looking for new ways to make the poor richer and the rich poorer. The Dark Brotherhood, shrouded in shadows, recruits
individuals with a knack for ending lives. And atop the Throat of the World, the highest mountain in Tamriel, reside
the enigmatic Greybeards, masters of the Voice.

Excerpt: On Solstheim

solstheimtilehbrzw.png

The cold island of Solstheim lies to the north of Morrowind and the northeast of Skyrim. It is more cold and rugged than even Skyrim:
a fact the local Nords of the Skaal-tribe take great pride in. The island's southern reaches are more temperate than the harsh north,
but not a lot. There is less snow, indeed, but the land still suffers from the after effects of the Red Year.

For a long time, Solstheim was a backwater in history. Nothing of great interest happened there until the late Third Era. During that time,
the Empire established Fort Frostmoth on the island's southern shore, and the colony Raven Rock was erected. In 3E 427 the infamous Bloodmoon Prophecy
took place on the island. Werewolves and hunters did battle in Hircine's name, as the Daedric Prince turned the moons as red as the blood
of the fallen. Rumors that the Nerevarine was a part of this prophecy were rife, but have never been substantiated.

The island rose to prominence once again during the early years of the Fourth Era. When the Red Year struck Morrowind,
many of the Dunmer fled their ancestral homeland. Solstheim, due to its proximity to Vvardenfell, quickly became a refuge for the Dark Elves,
even though the land had historically always been claimed by the Nords of Skyrim.

Tensions were rife, but unfounded. Shortly after the Red Year, Skyrim extended its hand to the Dunmer and offered them the island,
"untithed to any thane or hold, and self-governed, with free worship, with no compensation to Skyrim or the Empire except as writ
in the Armistice of old wheresoever those might still apply, and henceforth let no Man or Mer say that the Sons and Daughters of Kyne are without mercy or honor
".

Inspirational words, often cited as a prime example of Nord nobility. Politics may have been at the basis of this treaty moreso than mercy,
but that does not diminish the gesture. The Nords and Dunmer, once bitter enemies, were suddenly united.

Excerpt: On the Skaal

These native Nord inhabitants of Solstheim are a curious sort. They have lived on the island for ages, yet are very tight-lipped when it comes
to its history. Thus, not much is known about them. It is said they worship the animal gods of the bear and wolf, and that they treat Solstheim's
native flora and fauna with dignity and respect. Their ancient legends speak of an All-Maker, who forged the land and its people, and of an
Adversary, who seeks to bring the Skaal to ruin. One of their oldest heroes, Aevar Stone-Singer, is chronicled to have faced off against
an aspect of this Adversary, which the Skaal call the Grinning Man.

Sometime in the Second Era, several Skaal left their native village to found the nearby mead hall of Thirsk. Near the end of the Third Era, however,
the hall was attacked by a gruesome creature the Skaal call the Udyrfrykte. The beast was eventually slain, and the deed immortalized in songs
heard all over Tamriel. Even the Aldmeri Dominion has tales of the monster and its demise.

The Skaal now share the island with Dunmer refugees. Their relations are amicable, though tensions between their settlements are frequent.

Excerpt: On the Way of the Voice

A wise man once said that words are wind. The Nords of Skyrim interpret this quite literally. Every word they speak, every whisper
they utter, every shout they bellow: all are proof to the Nords of the existence of their goddess of wind and storm, Kyne.
In the Empire, Kyne is better known as blessed Kynareth of the Eight Divines. Worshippers of Kynareth have, long ago,
developed a form of magic that honors the godess with every use. Using the Voice, practitioners - often called Tongues - can form
a thu'um - a shout. Depending on the words used in the shout, a large variety of effects can be achieved: from sharpening
one's weapons to setting an enemy ablaze. Mastery of this craft comes with a great cost, however, as even talking in day-to-day
matters can potentially cause great destruction. For this reason, the most potent Tongues are often kept gagged to avoid any accidents.

Excerpt: On the races of Tamriel

The Empire's influence may have declined, but its multiculturalism has endured. Many races inhabit Tamriel. While each has their own
home province, small populations of each can be found throughout the entire continent. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

Pcdpx.png
XVIlI.png

PLMV0.png
ySSjt.png

ZYkgg.png
uk5An.png

WKznI.png
xNkz7.png

zp6ja.png
vkwrw.png

yt4O8.png

7he Talon

Nice OT. I'm most excited for the exploration of Solstheim.

Also, have they shown a more in-depth look at dragon riding? I wonder how much freedom we have.

Great OT! I bought a 360 today so I'll be joining in the festivities this time with the DLC. I still haven't played the first 2!

My wallet is crying. Why does the new BF3 map pack, FC3, and Dragonborn all have to come out on the same day??

Anyway, nice OT. Looking forward to getting the time to actually play it :lol

GhaleonEB

Classy OP, I'll read up in a bit.

I'm as hyped for Dragonborn as I've been for any full release. Still playing the base game....

Skyrim.

Pookmunki

744852758.UOTE=7he Talon;44852758]Nice OT. I'm most excited for the exploration of Solstheim.

Also, have they shown a more in-depth look at dragon riding? I wonder how much freedom we have.[/QUOTE]

I'm worried it is just the fast travel means to get to Solstheim, if not and it is player controlled and awesome - great, but I'm setting myself up for less.

Still, more ES is never a bad thing!

744852758.UOTE=7he Talon;44852758]I'm worried it is just the fast travel means to get to Solstheim, if not and it is player controlled and awesome - great, but I'm setting myself up for less.

Still, more ES is never a bad thing!

Well, the trailer showed someone riding a dragon near the Throat of the World, so it's definitely not that. Whether it's player controlled, though... I hope so, but I dunno. It has to be really taxing on the 360.

As much as I love the Elder Scrolls franchise I'm not buying another Elder Scrolls game until they sort out mounted combat. Can't believe they didn't sort it out for Skyrim tbh. After playing Mount & Blade having to get off your horsie every time you have to fight an enemy is beyond tiresome!!! :eek:(

As much as I love the Elder Scrolls franchise I'm not buying another Elder Scrolls game until they sort out mounted combat. Can't believe they didn't sort it out for Skyrim tbh. After playing Mount & Blade having to get off your horsie every time you have to fight an enemy is beyond tiresome!!! :eek:(

Uh, they patched in mounted combat in patch 1.6.

Hazanko

Banned
I'll probably get Dragonborn a month after release. I don't want some stupid idea making me have to delete it, like I did with Dawnguard because of vampire attacks.

Yeah, I don't know why Bethesda has yet to implement some kind of camera lock on system that centers the camera behind the character. It would make the 3rd person perspective playable in combat situations. And even though you can fight on your horse I don't because the NPC enemy almost always goes for your horse first.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought the Skyrim dlc while it was half off on Steam, so I've got plenty to do. I'll probably buy this when it goes on sale(Christmas sale, maybe?)

Just getting back into Skyrim after picking up Hearthfire and Dawnguard during the Steam sale. Just installed another 5 or so mods too.

Hopefully this is the last timed exclusive piece of DLC.

Yeah, I don't know why Bethesda has yet to implement some kind of camera lock on system that centers the camera behind the character. It would make the 3rd person perspective playable in combat situations. And even though you can fight on your horse I don't because the NPC enemy almost always goes for your horse first.

Since originally playing Skyrim a ton last year and between then and now playing Dark Souls for the first time, I'd love it if an Elder Scrolls game had a more Dark Souls like combat. If only to have a lock on that made it easier to tactically attack enemies, waiting for openings and blocking more intelligently and so forth. Melee combat in Skyrim frequently just gets so hectic (esp. in 1st person view) that it just feels like you're flailing all around like a crazy person.

Also don't know why they got rid of 1st person view on horses.

Woorloog

Banned
And Blue Ninja delivers a great OP once again.

Do we get to use spears? Or are they enemy exclusive stuff? Do we even know?

EDIT Microsoft points are Allards? What's the joke behind this?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This would play best on Wii U. You'd be able to select presets of armor/weapons instantly from the touchscreen. I hope they make a port.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Do we know how much more DLC is to come? I want to pick up all the DLC at once for my second playthrough.

God I love this game. So pretty and I had fun (although I know people bitched about the lack of difficulty). Bodes well for Fallout 4 and Elder Scroll sequels to come.

Do we know how much more DLC is to come? I want to pick up all the DLC at once for my second playthrough.

God I love this game. So pretty and I had fun (although I know people bitched about the lack of difficulty). Bodes well for Fallout 4 and Elder Scroll sequels to come.

I imagine if this does really well we get another one, but I'm guessing its the last one.

Biggzy

No we don't. But if I was to guess, I say we should expect one more 'big' dlc to come.

Tyrax

Great OT, Looking forward to this.

I remember the XBL deal was for the first two pieces of DLC. I wonder if the original plan was for Dawnguard and Dragonborn, but Hearthfire was just for fun since PC mods were doing it anyways.

Wanace

Just finished Dawnguard on my 4th character, looking forward to Dragonborn so much!

Don't delay the PC release too long, Bethesda.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to play Dragonborn
sometime this January :(

Lakitu

st5fu
Another brilliant OT from Blue Ninja.

Hopefully people have given the other DLC the benefit of the doubt, Dawnguard's probably too expensive but I really enjoyed it. I thought it had a good story, Serena is a great character, really good new dungeons (I lol'd at Redwater Den) and possibly my favourite quest in the game (Touching the Sky). I don't regret that purchase at all.

Hearthfire's also a neat little addition, I've built all three houses and had fun doing so.

Dragonborn looks epic, yet despite having a trailer we still don't seem to know too much about it. Bethesda have been unusually tight-lipped about it. Can't wait to play it though. I want to explore the ash forests and visit Raven Rock. I do hope we have some form of player housing there though. I can't stand the thought of just storing my stuff in a barrel or chest then losing it, like what happened to me on Shivering Isles.

El_Chino

So this is how December 4th is looking for me

1) Awakening: The Art of Halo 4 via UPS (finally!!)

2) The Dark Night Trilogy on Blu Ray via UPS also

3) Forza Horizon December Car Pack

4) Skyrim Dragonborn DLC

5) Far Cry 3

What a day!

GhaleonEB

Just finished reading through the OP. Fantastic stuff, BlueNinja, really enjoyable and informative reading. Loved the history and description of Solstheim, which I didn't know anything about, as I never played Morrowind.

Biggzy

So I guess there just isn't enough PS3 user backlash to make Bethesda care :(((

Backlash is not going to do anything. This a fundamental problem with their engine and the way the PS3's memory is arranged, and there is a very high chance that Bethesda might not be able to work around it.

Just finished reading through the OP. Fantastic stuff, BlueNinja, really enjoyable and informative reading. Loved the history and description of Solstheim, which I didn't know anything about, as I never played Morrowind.

I was actually planning on rewriting it, lol. If you like it, I might just leave it as-is.

Top Bottom