• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U launch attach ratio=1.2, Wii launch attach ratio=2

Wii U sells 1.2 games per console- Longbow Research

Gamesindustry.biz said:
In a note to investors, Longbow Research's James Hardiman shed some additional light on the numbers, calling specific attention to the performance of Wii U software sales. While the original Wii saw two games sold for every console in its opening month on shelves in 2006, the Wii U posted a comparatively paltry 1.2 games sold per system. Hardiman chalked that up to either the inclusion of NintendoLand in Wii U Deluxe bundles providing a compelling enough experience that players didn't feel the need for another game, or the higher prices for the Wii U ($299 for the Basic system, $349 for the Deluxe) left consumers without the spare funds for software.

This is pretty surprising considering that all Wii consoles had a bundled game and most people buying at Wii at launch did so just for Wii Sports as well as the Wii U having a much better third party lineup than the Wii did which had little of note.

Edit:

Skiesofwonder said:
For comparison:

- PS3 had about a 1.09 attach rate during launch month.

- 360 had about a 3.69 attach rate during launch month.

Alcibiades

It'll improve over time. The Wii has a attach rate close to the 360 and PS3 despite being bundled with a game throughout the generation.

wsippel

Banned
This is pretty surprising considering that all Wii consoles had a bundled game and most people buying at Wii at launch did so just for Wii Sports as well as the Wii U having a much better third party lineup than the Wii did which had little of note.
Not really all that surprising. Wii came with Zelda. Wii U didn't come with a game anybody had to have immediately.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'd point to the barren launch lineup myself. Nothing to grab people like Wii Sports did.

That doesn't make sense. Wii Sports was packed in with the console, so it wouldn't help the attach rate.

Also, the Wii U launch line-up has much more variety and quality than the Wii launch line-up had, even when you consider the shoddy ports.

Hoo-doo

Banned
...which came with every console and would give less of a reason to buy another game.

You are completely right. That doesn't make sense. Sorry, it's late.

Guess I was talking more about the general launch woes the Wii-U is apparently experiencing.

lies...

01menu.jpg

DrNeroCF

Is this including NintendoLand? As customers are technically paying more to get that game...

Also, digital is usually not included in these numbers, right?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wii had a massive attach rate with TP, hard to compare with that. Do they count Nintendoland/wii sports in this?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, we know Wii U sold ~425,000 but not 475,000 through November NPD. For argument's sake, we'll say 474,999. We also know NSMBU sold ~235k minimum. So how are they getting 1.2? WW numbers? That's also assuming every other title sold exactly 0 copies.

That would be a attach ratio of less than one in your scenario.

wsippel

Banned
That doesn't make sense. Wii Sports was packed in with the console, so it wouldn't help the attach rate.

Also, the Wii U launch line-up has much more variety and quality than the Wii launch line-up had, even when you consider the shoddy ports.
More variety, yes. But who are the early adopters? Gamers. Gamers already have platforms to play pretty much the whole Wii lineup on. Gamers didn't have a platform to play Twilight Princess on six years ago, and the Wii U simply doesn't have a launch exclusive of that caliber.

_woLf

Given that one of those two titles for the Wii's launch attach rate was almost guaranteed to be Zelda, that doesn't mean much. There wasn't any launch titles that had even close to the appeal that a new Zelda on a new console has.

bill0527

Well I tried folks.

Bought BLOPS II, and NSMBU to go with my deluxe.

And i know it doesn't count in this particular set of numbers, but ive also bought ACIII, ZombieU, and Epic Mickey 2 and Sing Party for my kids all at the TRU sale in the last few days.

Wii U costs more than a Wii did so that disposable income is going toward hardware instead of software. These analysts are pretty bad at their jobs not to notice such an obvious market variable.

VICI0US

NPD really is going to become less and less relevant and informative with digital distrubtion growing. 3DS, Wii-U, and Vita all have a pretty capable DD system in place. I can only imagine the next Xbox and PS console will as well.

Wish there were better tracking systems in place, NPD really is awful even at just trying to glean info about the retail market. a US equivalent of at least famitsu/media crate would be awesome.

ZeroGravity

More expensive console = less games bought. Add in the fact that games cost an extra $10 and it makes sense.

I really want to get Scribblenauts and Zombi U but just can't afford to right now.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
349.99+Tax equals 1 Wii with 2 games.

That said I bought way more Wii U titles than the Wii.

Zombie U
NSMB
Trine 2
Nano

Only picked Twilight Princess for the Wii

How do these numbers stack up with other console launches? Attach ratio of 2 for the Wii sounds impressive, considering Wii Sports was bundled with the system.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
For comparison:

- PS3 had about a 1.09 attach rate during launch month.

- 360 had about a 3.69 attach rate during launch month.

epmode

Gonna be harder and harder to realistically track this as DD sales become more common.

Harder for anyone but Nintendo, sure.

Although I can't see many people signing on to the most user-unfriendly console DD service ever.

edit: I don't mean it's hard to use, just that tying purchases to hardware in 2012 is an awful idea.

VICI0US

Don't the Mario games always sell significantly more than Zelda?

in the long term, definitely. zelda is a more typically front loaded release while mario--NSMB especially--keeps selling and selling and selling throughout the life of the system.

heck, I remember NSMB DS charting at #5 in the NPD in 2010, 4 years after release. those games are insane.

Top Bottom