• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most memorable Christmas present of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
50674_o7auuz.gif

This for me. I tried for months before I got one to win one from those stupid Blockbuster giveaways that had all the pamphlets and if you held them up to a yellow light it'd tell you if you won anything. I was down there every day they restocked those fuckers and took home all of them. No one seemed to care, but it was a waste of time.

Ashodin

This for me. I tried for months before I got one to win one from those stupid Blockbuster giveaways that had all the pamphlets and if you held them up to a yellow light it'd tell you if you won anything. I was down there every day they restocked those fuckers and took home all of them. No one seemed to care, but it was a waste of time.

The glory man the glory of getting that big ass box with the N64 in it...

Memories

(some of my fondest memories come from that box. Zelda, Turok 1 at my grandma's, banjo-kazooie.. magical console man)

StuBurns

Banned
I don't remember anything specific for Christmas, but my most memorable birthday gift was an unreleased album from my favorite artist at the time. The drummer of the album had given an unmastered version to a friend of mine, who gave it for me. The album came out or year or so after, but it was a pretty remarkable gift.

Demy

At 26, been buying myself xmas and cakeday presents for about a decade now but that's norm in my family since we've so many nieces and nephews.
Last aweseomeness I experienced was a 400 dollar telescope from my oldest brother. No idea what brand or model or what the hell happened to it but I remember posting it up on the roof and looking at stars and the moon like I'd never seen before. It was beyond inspiring and I like spoil his son now in the same way.

PS1- was amazing, I remember being super hype. My parents bought me Battle Arena Toshinden to go with it and I remember playing my cousin with the whole family around the TV. I remember my dad saying "wow, I can't believe how real it looks." haha

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Getting a printer for my Commodore 128D was an amazing experience. Unlocked so much creativity. Was so excited that year.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Probably gonna go with the N64 too. Got the Goldeneye pack and I have such good memories of playing that and SM64 on the day.

Probably when I got my Sega Nomad in 1996 before I even had a Genesis. Still honestly no idea what my thought process was at the time to ask for that before getting a Genesis, but soon after got the cable to play it on the TV anyways. But prior to that I only had a Super Nintendo and got to play any Genesis games at friends' houses.

What made it most memorable though was the fact that I had been so sick at the time with tonsillitis and was almost put in the hospital only days before Christmas to get them out because it was so bad. Luckily they reduced in size enough to hold off for the time being. I felt so bad and barely could get out of the bed to open presents. Having the portable system was awesome by getting to experience Sonic 1 and 2 from my bed even though I was so sick.

Honorable mention goes to Christmas of 1998 when I got a N64. I got it with Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing and could barely put those games down.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My Game Boy Pocket with Super Mario Land. I still own it and it still works just like the day I got it. Means a lot to me.

Timbuktu

Super Famicom for me. With Street Fighter. First ever console in my own home, but i have to say that N64 with Mario, Pilotwings and Wave Race was pretty special too. I don't see myself getting taht feeling ever again from a piece of electronic. Really hope if i have kid one day that stuff like this still exist.

Same here. The only console I ever got for christmas. It was fucking expensive in europe when it launched, like 450-500€ or some crazy shit. But I remember my dad saying that he didn't want to buy dead products (referring to PS1 a few months before PS2 would launch) so we waited.

Got it with Tekken Tag and the first MoH, such fond memories. The year after I got GTA3 and Silent Hill 2, PS2 was a beast:D

I got the Playmobil Victorian Mansion from my grandparents one Christmas, that was amazing. I have no idea how old I was but I do remember my parents and grandparents had been up all night building it for us. It was a joint present to me and my sister.

I'm also sure my sister got a SNES and I got a Mega Drive the same Christmas (my parents liked to keep things fair!). I was around 7 at the time I think.

Although it wasn't a gift, I did win a PS1 in a Mcdonalds competition and it arrived a couple of days before Christmas, so that was pretty good. I think my sister got an N64 that year as well. This was 97.

compound.jpg

i lost my shit.

also my wii in 2006. i know my mum tried really hard to find one, which was sweet considering i was 19 years old...

Ban Puncher

This;

b17Cj.jpg

And this;

ztjuu.jpg

That was a fucking fantastic Xmas as a kid. Megatron was especially awesome because the toy had been banned in Australia but my dad picked one up whilst on a business trip to the States.

At my school boys wanted to be me and girls wanted me but they were gross and had girl-germs.

mxgt

Banned
SNES with Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart, not even close.

I played the shit out of it that day

Kayo-kun

I will never forget how happy I was when I got this as a kid back when Power Rangers were the most popular thing ever for the kids.

P1065129.jpg

Oh and getting my Sega Mega Drive was memorable too. This was also the first console I owned.

tumblr_lj91b24pei1qa816ro1_500.jpg

eso76

Commodore Amiga in 198..8 ? 9 ? and a bunch of games.

Spent whole day playing Hybris (awesome game) Menace (in retrospect, a terrible shmup) Stargoose, Starray, Fernandez Must Die, Better dead than alien...what else...Turbo Cup..Zany Golf...

And a couple years ago, when my girlfriend (now wife) bought me a pair of B&W684. Music has never been the same.

Oh and the year i received shittons of presents from my parents, then we went to my grandma's for Christmas lunch and there were..more presents. One of them being this

lego8860.png

i was like OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG for hours.

Those, and the ones when i still believed in Santa. Man..

Easily my NES. Easily. I had played vidya in the arcade, but it all began the day I unwrapped my NES. Mom stood outside for hours trying to get me one.

Second most memorable, the SNES.

tearsofash

When I opened my Playstation 2. I freaked out because I loved Tekken so much and finally had a game I wasted so many quarters on in the comfort of my own room.

On the opposite side, I was pretty ticked off when I got a Nintendo 64 instead of the 32x I was asking for all season. Then I learned I was being stupid and Mario 64 made me a cool kid.

Sega Genesis with Sonic and Streets of Rage. My first own console. I had no idea I was getting it and how they picked those games but it was an awesome choice.

This.

Woke up, went under the tree, unwrapped the gifts and there were five N64 games, but no N64. Then the family packed up and went to my grandmothers house, where I got another N64 game. My uncle stopped by later empty handed and said that N64's were sold out the past few weeks and that maybe he could get one for my birthday later. So my family strung me along with that story for about an hour or two 'til they revealed they bought it a few months earlier, and was hiding in a closet the whole time.

Huh, I just realized I'm sitting in the exact same place I was when I hooked up that N64 for the first time. Weird.

Dr Dogg

Oooohh have to be a tie between Slave 1 seeing as Boba Fett is/was my fav Star Wars character or getting a NES Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles set completely out of the blue which sadly relegated my beloved Speccy to the wardrobe for a very, very long time.

-KRS-

Either when I got a Super Nintendo with Donkey Kong Country (yeah I got it pretty late), or when I got a Nintendo Sixty-fooooooooooour with Goldeneye.

KillGore

gino1.jpg

As a kid, I really loved the Godzilla movie and when I opened this beast of a figure, my god.. I was in awe. I lost the back which acted as a lid or something, not sure why as that's a pretty odd addition.. the roar still works also after 14 years.

Holy shit, I remember having this.

Anyway, for me it has to be a go kart my parents got me. Not a small one though,pretty big.

My GI Joe General, also the GI Joe Warthog I got a year or two earlier.

I got a PS1 with Resident Evil and Formula 1 and Tekken 2 for Christmas in '96, that was great.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I remember getting a SNES and my little sister taking it out and making it 'talk' to my current NES via the cartridge ports. Coincidentally it was the first time me noticing that the SNES looks like the head of a ninja turtle when you turn it upside down.

603201_10151191499537293_1145810826_n.jpg

Addi

Same for me too. My family didn't have a lot of money at the time since we just had moved to a new country. I remember asking my father for a n64, but he said they couldn't afford it (I didn't expect to get one either, gaming stuff always seemed to be something only rich kids in the neighborhood could have). When we started opening up gifts, my father had written on the box "Open last or it will explode". Me and my brothers opened it last, surely the box didn't explode but we did.

Remembering back, it touches me even more given the situation we were in. So three years ago me and by brother bought a 40" LCD tv for my parents (they only had an old 25" CRT tv). It was awesome, my father quickly understood what it was because of the shape of the box and began dancing around in the living room singing a random David Guetta song. My mother didn't understand anything, but was shocked when the gift was open. It will be a long time before any christmas tops those two for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom