• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

One3rd

The sky is falling!
10100007056_c3b5fc12e5_o.jpg

midhras

I really wanted this guy to stand there like 3 more seconds so I could get a better shot, but he moved right after this.

10094471486_a4da6cd559_o.jpg

Pretty awesome texture detail right there. I liked your monochromic portraits. More please.
Also, Bioshock shots: nice.

And Wanny, I see Vorontsov did us a kindness, and I didn't even have to ask. Now let us cross our fingers and how he manages to put in skin SSS for Fallout as well.

10100521805_3330a275da_o.png

BONKERS

The assets in that level are very sloppily made. Poly count is quite low on everything besides characters/weapons, textures can go from fantastic with fine detail to amorphous blobs, and the water looks about as good as Halo 3's, but the way it's rendered in the engine along with great art direction (the execution is the issue imo) and vast vistas makes me excited about the potential if they put in the same care they put in to Mirrors Edge. It's in serious need of a solution for reflections though, the cubemap system they're using doesn't cut it anymore and destroys a lot of the visual potential for this map in particular with all the windows and tall buildings.

BF4 does support MSAA, but you can always downsample.

Related, I saw BF4 has a resolution slider which I assume functions in the same way as Planetside 2's render quality for changing the resolution independent of the UI, has anyone attempted to use it for downsampling?

The problem really is that MSAA just isn't enough anymore.(Not to mention MSAA by itself in current rendering setups is too expensive when if developers implemented it with the right quality SGSSAA shouldn't cost much more) Even with downsampling. There were some shots a few pages back with 4xMSAA at 4k+120% resolution scale and there were still some gigantic amounts of glaring aliasing. And that's just in a still. Aliasing in motion is another story all together that we can't see in screenshots.

We are at a crossroads of sorts where developers are just simply going back 10+ years to implementing lazy SSAA that doesn't really work all that great. Or they implement good AA modes but they do it so improperly or poorly that the quality isn't nearly what it should be (Splinter Cell Blacklist for example).

People developing the (And for) XBOne seem to be of the camp that higher quality pixel(arguable) by using good AA at a lower resolution and then upscaling is a fine idea and will create a better image.
(Which implies that they are working on high quality AA. Just at a lower resolution. Which if they can make it free of aliasing in motion and have good image stability, will be great)
(And a developer on Killzone Shadow fall mentioned Sony developed some new AA method called TMAA on a presentation a few months ago. Which I hope they end up using since they only used FXAA before)

So maybe we will see some better quality AA methods popping up in PC games after all. And I hope that we do.

Also, keep the ARMA 3 screenshots coming. Those just look FABULOUS.

Top Bottom