• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaRace is the greatest game of all time

now that I think of it, a lot of my games were on those 100 FREE DEMOS cds that came with PC GAMER and the like, and I had to mail actual money to people to get games. jesus. now going into another room to get my credit card is too much work.

i remember getting a 100 GAMES cd for my 256 mac desktop computer, most of which was shareware games of varying quality (i think Barney Blaster an asteroids clone was packaged in that *edit* it's actually an edit of Asterax) I remember this really cool game i wanted to play called Ninja Kid or something but i couldn't! because it only supported 16bit!

One of my first experiences with lack of backwards compatability

Wacky Racers was awesome - quick 90 degress turn was the game winner!

Also:
oh yeah! going offroad was great on that one, and probably more fun than racing.

speaking of compatibility, I remember a kid coming over to play some fighting game, and my 486 didn't have enough ram (4 vs 8...MB) to run it. Super embarrassing.

yes to all of this

anyone else play wacky wheels? good ol apogee (rip) kart clone:

oQdmS.jpg

I played this for hours

edit: apparently this was the result of a bad breakup between apogee dudes and the people who made Skunny Kart. god all these memories.

didn't play wacky wheels but definitely played Skunny Kart. Which after reading wikipedia seems like a rip of Wacky Wheels - small world

Sho Nuff

Banned
Holy fucking shit YES MEGARACE. Amazing, amazing, amazing. My group of PC gaming friends were all obsessed with Lance Boyle and would quote him ALL THE TIME back in high school. Thank you for this thread, time to watch all the videos of this genius bastard on YouTube.

UrbanRats

Megarace was an amazing experience when i was a kid.
Couldn't stop playing this shit, dat mouse driving.

Also the dude in Megarace played the evil doc in Heavy Rain.

I do hope there's a -teen that you missed off, there. People aren't allowed to be that young.

? Game came out in 93 (unless i missed a joke).

Blutonium

This game and Descent are one of my earliest PC-gaming experiences. I didn't like MegaRace that much, but I remember it vividly - indeed because it looked so good at the time.

CorySchmitz

Megarace was the BEST.

I love this thread.

I used to play another game that came installed on my friends PC. It was a side scroller and it looked like you were in a computer or something?? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

He also had the skiing game.

I remember my very non-gaming family sitting around in awe/laughter at this game when a family friend bought one of those shitty Packards. All night they thought it was the greatest thing ever made.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I nostalgiad hard. But no, it was no Crysis for it's time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I nostalgiad hard. But no, it was no Crysis for it's time.
Yes, seriously. It was just a series of pre-rendered sprites overlaid on FMV backgrounds. Neat idea, but not all that impressive.

Back then I'd say arcades had the high-end visuals all locked up.

ultron87

anyone else play wacky wheels? good ol apogee (rip) kart clone:

oQdmS.jpg

I played this for hours

edit: apparently this was the result of a bad breakup between apogee dudes and the people who made Skunny Kart. god all these memories.

Holy crap, this takes me back. Game was great, even though today it is so clearly a Mario Kart rip off. You shoot hedgehogs at the other racers. It makes no sense at all!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Holy crap, this takes me back. Game was great, even though today it is so clearly a Mario Kart rip off. You shoot hedgehogs at the other racers. It makes no sense at all!
What's interesting is that I can trace my framerate sensitivities ALL the way back to Wacky Wheels. When I played it on my PC it was immediately apparent that it was nowhere NEAR as smooth as Super Mario Kart. Between that and Daytona USA it seems that 1994 was the year when my brain became acutely aware of framerates. After that I started noticing it all over the place. It was always obvious when something wasn't 60 fps or even 30 though I didn't necessarily understand the terminology or reasons behind it.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Wacky Racers was awesome - quick 90 degress turn was the game winner!

Also:

I remember playing this game over modem with a friend. Game was AWESOME! Boats and spaceships. Even helicopters. I wish they would somehow get this on one of the consoles stores for a few bucks. Would be totally worth it.

Syril

The way the original Megarace worked is one part genius and one part amazing shortsightedness. It installed almost nothing (the required space was about 3 MB), and all the scenery of the racetracks was a prerendered video read from the CD at different speeds depending on how fast you were supposed to be going. As you might guess, trying to play it now without using a DOS emulator makes you finish all three laps and lose within seconds.

On the topic of those 100 FREE GAMES cds...does anyone remember a roguelike ascii type game where you would go deeper down into caves fighting goblins and needed to collect oxygen bubbles to breathe? Driving me crazy!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Oh man, I had this and played it on my parents shitty PC. Played it with the keyboard and I remember it being hard as hell, or maybe I was just weaksauce. Those cut-scenes were legendary.

sniperpon

I loved a lot of those quirky fantasy racing games in the early 90s. Offworld Interceptor and Crash N Burn are in the same vein.

Of course, even realistic racers at that time couldn't resist having bizarre FMV hosts, remember the "Xman" from The Need for Speed? :D

A friend of mine in my young days had this on his pc, always wanted to own it myself. I have awesome memories of the tracks looking great because they were video footage, but looking back I thought the cars looked nicer back then.

Top Bottom