• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How hard is it to follow Paprika's storyline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

I've stayed away from Paprika for this long because I don't think my brain can take another Satoshi Kon movie.

I love all of the ones that I've seen so far, but with the exception of Tokyo Godfathers they are very difficult movies to follow by design. Where does Paprika sit on the mindfuckery scale compared to the likes of Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress?

CengizMan

I've watched it once. I saw some recurring subjects here and there, but overall, I just did not understand the movie. Not sure if it's my fault or not. However, I sometimes find it pretty hard to follow other Japanese movies. I even had trouble with Spirited Away, because the flow and the culture of the story were so alien to me. I still feel kind of stupid because of that. Both Paprika and Spirited Away are stunning though.

easy enough, if you need some paprika you're gonna have to get some

I see what you did there!

eucharis

Had to watch it two times to understand; I should watch it again to remember what I was suppose to understand.

There's some people on youtube that describe every symbol in the movie and make it sound way deeper then it might intended to be. You should look it up I don't want to cause I'll ruin it for myself. Go read the wiki page.

tokkun

It probably has the most complex plot of any of the movies, though it doesn't have the unreliable PoV sort of thing from Perfect Blue. I guess if you found Millennium Actress hard to follow, you probably will have the same issue with Paprika, though I would say that in both movies it's just a matter of paying attention rather than any sort of complicated interpretation.

Davidion

I feel like Paprika suffers from the same "wtf just happened ending" syndrome as anime films like Howl's Walking Castle. Keeping up was pretty simple until the last third of the film when the wheels just came off the wagon.

injurai

Banned
I'm good at watching movies that most people say are hard to follow. But I don't think it was that bad. Your just have some confusions from the beginning of the movie that don's seem to be addressed until the very end. The it sets everything into place.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It depends, I didn't find it hard to follow, but at the same time I didn't find Millenium Actress hard-to-follow either.

Axalon

tumblr_m1rttqz5cE1qhmwjh.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Following it is easy, but you may not understand it at first. I wrote up a summary of what I thought to be the meaning of it. Definitely not as challenging as Perfect Blue.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
impossible given the illegible subtitles. i couldn't/can't watch it.

If there's an HD release I might try that at some point, but what the fuck were they thinking with the dvd???

Ratrat

You can always read the book. It's very similar to Inception, corporate espionage in a dream world with a machine.
Either way the highlight is the orgasmic visuals/music.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It's hard to follow because outside it's visuals it's not a very good movie.

It throws out some cool ideas and ingredients. And then, as it's putting these ideas and ingredients into the movie skillet, it trips over, falls into the stove and burns itself all over.

impossible given the illegible subtitles. i couldn't/can't watch it.

If there's an HD release I might try that at some point, but what the fuck were they thinking with the dvd???
I haven't seen either, but there's a blu-ray here in the us, dog. It's been out for years.

BadWolf

In regards to his last movie, from the wiki:

After Kon's death on August 24, 2010, production continued at Madhouse, where the team used Satoshi Kon's directorial tapes and notes to guide them to completing the film, though the main work such as storyboards and script was already complete. In August 2011, Madhouse founder Masao Maruyama revealed that production of the film had been halted due to lack of finances. Only 600 of 1500 shots have been animated.

n 2011, founder Masao Maruyama left Madhouse to found MAPPA in order to "make new shows that we wouldn't have been able to make at Madhouse." At Otakon 2012, he stated regarding Satoshi Kon's unfinished film, "Unfortunately, we still don't have enough money. My personal goal is to get it within five years after his passing. I'm still working hard towards that goal.

... chances of it ever being finished seem to be slim.

Such a shame he passed away, was my favourite anime director. Absolutely loved all of his movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom