• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien |OT|

Effect

The demo was the first Bit.Trip game I ever played. Enjoyed it but have to play it a few more times to know if I really want to buy it. My eyes did feel weird. Almost as if I had trouble focusing completely while playing it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
looking for the EU eshop release.
sorry for the old questions, but: is the Offtv feature confirmed? 60fps for wiiu? other wiiu particular features?

Got it on Steam, made it World 5. It's a beautiful place! However, I've gotten at least one Perfect in all 5 worlds, but it's not unlocking the "Perfectionist" achievement (Get one Perfect Run in each world). What gives?

Guys with all the "APRIL?!?" posts:
Relax. At least it's not fucking September, amirite?

ReZ3Ygr.gif

You're not going to sucker me in again Gaijin. Your games are too damn hard for me.
Normal is actually pretty manageable so far, its got a great difficulty curve. The game is as easy or hard as you want it to be

The mid-level checkpoint help a ton

Got 100% on the 1st world (normal) minus a chunk of bullseyes. Loving it so far. Not sure if I will start W2 or just clean up everything in W1.

This actually pushed me over the edge to order the Bit.Trip Complete collection for Wii. I have Runner and bit.trip on WiiWare but I will be happy to have them on disc with all the other games.

You're not going to sucker me in again Gaijin. Your games are too damn hard for me.

This by far the easiest bit.trip game, on Normal anyway. And there's an easier difficulty setting too.

Finished it last night on normal, total playing time was six and a half hours I think. I unlocked all the levels and 15 of the cartridges or so but stopped going back for missed chests/cartridges/perfects in the last two worlds.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
http://gaijingames.com/forum/wii-u-patch-coming-soon-details-within#comment-348

More info on the Wii U patch:

Hey everyone!

A lot of you have support questions about the Wii U version of Runner2, and we're in the process of releasing a patch for the game that will do the following:

-At the start of the game, when it asks you if you want to log in, we've added some feedback so it doesn't look like the game is hanging.

-The leaderboards will only save your highest score, as expected, instead of your most recent score, which it does now.

-If you lose your internet connection during play, we've allowed you to reconnect by going to the leaderboards menu.

-We've fixed false score reporting for in-game Rewards.

-We've fixed an issue with the level start mini-leaderboard telling you you're offline when you're actually online. It will populate this list with global scores if you don't have any friends who have played the game yet.

-We've fixed an issue in the settings menu that resets your settings every time you enter the menu.

-And last, but not least, we've tried to fix the issue that locks up the Wii U system upon powering down or quitting out of the game via the HOME Menu.

But a note on that final issue: We had never experienced this issue on our devkits, during development, so it seems that this is an issue that only occurs on retail Wii Us. This makes it super gnarly to debug. It might not even be our bug. But we have tried to fix it.

Futureman

Bear with me. This is not grounded in technical logic whatsoever, but read on...

I have managed to find a workaround to quitting out of Runner2 that has worked for me at home:

I pretend that when I hit the HOME Button I'm gently letting the game know that I am about to quit, then I sit there and roll my eyes a bit, pick some lint off my clothes (<-very important step), and then once I think that the game is ready to quit, I gently select "Close Software", and so far, and I'm not kidding, this has worked 100% of my tries.

Also, we have had good success by visiting the Miiverse for a little while, from the HOME Menu, and then quitting or powering down from within the Miiverse.

Let us know if either of these workarounds have given you success.

ummmm... ok? haha. I guess we'll see what the patch does. For what it's worth, I only get the lockup about 50% of the time when I quit.

backlot

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in that lock up fix. I appreciate that they're making it save high scores instead of the most recent score, though.

I beat it today. This is the first Bit.Trip game I've beaten. Now I'm working to get a Perfect run on every level. 5 more to go. Also, I'm missing a treasure chest that unlocks
Captain Video's
2nd costume.

-PXG-

I love short, but sweet addictive games like this. Makes me feel like a kid again and takes me back to the days when I was obsessed with making perfect runs and getting perfect scores.

Thank you gaijin.

EDIT

You're playing it wrong if you're not on Rather Hard. You really get the true feeling of the game and satisfaction when you finish a level.

Played the demo, immediately ordered BIT.TRIP Complete. I will play through that, then buy Runner 2 -- I was smiling throughout the whole demo. Really great stuff.

Hellix

This by far the easiest bit.trip game, on Normal anyway. And there's an easier difficulty setting too.

Finished it last night on normal, total playing time was six and a half hours I think. I unlocked all the levels and 15 of the cartridges or so but stopped going back for missed chests/cartridges/perfects in the last two worlds.

Even on hard it is much easier than the first Runner. At first I thought the inclusion of the new mechanics made it harder, but they were simple to get them down as you go. The checkpoints made it easier too. I remember how frustrating it was to replay an entire level after missing a gold bar or running into something. They were some trickier gold placements too. Timing was pretty strict as well in the first Runner, whereas I did not have much trouble in Runner 2.

Getting a triple perfect plus for every level should take some time though...

Lynd7

Its not even out on the 360 here in Australia! I at least thought I may of been able to play the 360 demo!

April, can't believe it! They should know how long this stuff takes and submit accordingly.

Volcynika

Did a perfect+ hard run with a few easy and normal perfect+ here and there to get other related Steam achievements. Not really too hard overall, though getting all the rewards and triple perfect+ on each level is something I may or may not come back to.

Runner is one of the few games that I take a beating from with a smile. No matter how many times I die on a level, I just smile/laugh it off and try again.

Another game from recent memory that does this to me is Super Mario 3D Land.

jett

D-Member
Runner 2 is definitely much easier than the first one. I never finished that one, got roadblocked in one of the later levels.

Yeah, there is absolutely nothing here like the surprise punch to the balls 1-11 was in Runner. The longest level in the game, besides having multiple checkpoints, is one of the easiest.

For those who're on the fence because of the difficulty concerns of the past Runner games, do yourself a favour and get this one. It's the most newb friendly one of the lot.

I should know, I generally suck at platformers and I just triple perfected world 1, and I've never gotten this far in any of the previous Gaijin games lol (or other platformers for that matter)

guek

Banned
Runner 2 is definitely much easier than the first one. I never finished that one, got roadblocked in one of the later levels.

That said, it's insanely hard to maximize points. I just spent almost 2hrs on a single level...in the first world @_@

But I'm getting better at it the more I play. I learned today that there is a bit of variance as to where you are on the track in relation to the song based on certain jumps and whatnot. if you jump on a launch pad just as you touch it before you're completely over it, you'll be slightly a head a few frames and be able to dance in more places. Short jumping also seems to accomplish this, but it's also easy to lose those frames as the levels progress. It can be the difference between squeezing in an extra dance or crashing into an obstacle.

Runner is one of the few games that I take a beating from with a smile. No matter how many times I die on a level, I just smile/laugh it off and try again.

I completely agree here. I was thinking the same thing as I was playing last night. Any time I died it was because of something I did wrong and not a game mechanic gone sour. You almost develop a muscle memory for the game as you continuously play each level and perfect your rythym.

Man, I'm enjoying this game. If anyone wants to add me to have someone else on their leaderboards (AKA I need people on my friend list leaderboard) my ID is TheConnor.

EDIT: Guess I should add it's a Nintendo Network ID.

NFreak

That said, it's insanely hard to maximize points. I just spent almost 2hrs on a single level...in the first world @_@

But I'm getting better at it the more I play. I learned today that there is a bit of variance as to where you are on the track in relation to the song based on certain jumps and whatnot. if you jump on a launch pad just as you touch it before you're completely over it, you'll be slightly a head a few frames and be able to dance in more places. Short jumping also seems to accomplish this, but it's also easy to lose those frames as the levels progress. It can be the difference between squeezing in an extra dance or crashing into an obstacle.

There's also a definite pattern or rhythm to the dancing itself. Getting that down is the key. All of my high scores on Wii U is because I can squeeze out a few extra dances that apparently others can't right now but I expect that to change over time. Although on the second world boss there is no way to get higher than a certain score so there are multiple top scores.

rallyart

Neo Member
I´m enjoying this game so much, especially music, but Im having some stuttering issues with Vsync on (Pc Version here) that is so freaking annoying.

Anyone knows a solution or something?

Man, I must be lucky because I got V-Sync on, full screen, and haven't had a single issue.

Got all Perfects on Rather Hard just a sec ago, great game, man. The checkpoints and teh aesthetic makes it a bit more palatable then the original runner, but it's still quite a challenge. The last one in particular has some nasty layouts, but when you get in that zone, and you jst starting hitting everything...soooogood.gif

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Bear with me. This is not grounded in technical logic whatsoever, but read on...

I have managed to find a workaround to quitting out of Runner2 that has worked for me at home:

I pretend that when I hit the HOME Button I'm gently letting the game know that I am about to quit, then I sit there and roll my eyes a bit, pick some lint off my clothes (<-very important step), and then once I think that the game is ready to quit, I gently select "Close Software", and so far, and I'm not kidding, this has worked 100% of my tries.

Also, we have had good success by visiting the Miiverse for a little while, from the HOME Menu, and then quitting or powering down from within the Miiverse.

Let us know if either of these workarounds have given you success.
This worked for me.

Home Button > Miiverse > Power Off

Good workaround until the patch gets released.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Got 100% on the 1st world (normal) minus a chunk of bullseyes. Loving it so far. Not sure if I will start W2 or just clean up everything in W1.

This actually pushed me over the edge to order the Bit.Trip Complete collection for Wii. I have Runner and bit.trip on WiiWare but I will be happy to have them on disc with all the other games.
Congratulations, you'll now be able to experience the masterpiece that is Flux. Void is great too, but Flux is probably one of the best Wii games ever made.

I love short, but sweet addictive games like this. Makes me feel like a kid again and takes me back to the days when I was obsessed with making perfect runs and getting perfect scores.

Thank you gaijin.

EDIT

You're playing it wrong if you're not on Rather Hard. You really get the true feeling of the game and satisfaction when you finish a level.
No, I'm not. I want to get a Triple Perfect+ on every level, so I gotta play it on all 3 difficulties, right? Then why shouldn't I start with the easiest ones first, and leave the better challenge for last?

HeySeuss

Holy shit NFreak how do you have 1.5 million on the first couple of stages? Is there a points trick I'm overlooking? I'm jumping over the checkpoint.

Top Bottom