• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There will be Black Friday deals even in OLED. I doubt we see this mythical price drop for the super large screens that people want though.

irriadin

So is the "judder removal" thing part of what induces the "soap opera" effect in TVs? If so... do people actually like using motion interpolation on 24fps content? I always turn it off when I can.

x3sphere

Yeah dude, the price of this is totally fucking nuts. Fuck that. I'm gonna get an OLED in the fall probably. Do you think there will be a price drop by then? Were there great deals on OLEDs last Black Friday?

I remember the ef9500/eg9600 hit their lowest price for 2015 in November so it's likely.

I can see the 65" B6/C6 getting down to around $3.5k

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
got a GREAT score despite the terrible input lag. Really looking forward to the C6 review

guessing the C6 will be right at the same 8.9 or so.

the e6 is a 9.0

doesn't seem like the difference in input lag effected the score as much as no 3D support / sound did.

Those folks over at Sony's tv division still have the Ken Kutaragi mentality. Gotta work 2 jobs to get a Sony tv. I love my KDL-55W802A but I want a 4K set and would like to get a Sony set but their tvs compared to the competition are just aren't up to snuff. Especially when it comes to input lag.

No DV is also a bummer.

Thinking of caving in and getting a KS8000 65 inch set.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Is 54ms input lag really THAT bad? I don't do any "pro" gaming on my TV..just things like GTA, generally TPS, etc. Can anyone speak to the actual perceptibility of that level of input lag? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 55" B6.

games will feel a little "heavy" with it. Esp 30fps stuff.

Mostly fine for single-player gaming.

pswii60

Is 54ms input lag really THAT bad? I don't do any "pro" gaming on my TV..just things like GTA, generally TPS, etc. Can anyone speak to the actual perceptibility of that level of input lag? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 55" B6.
B6 feels fine for gaming here but then I get 44ms lag on mine with the Bodnar (euro version) and not 54ms, but this is when switching to the game input after using a PAL source. Strangely it goes up to 54ms otherwise, but then I only ever switch from a PAL source (Sky) over to my PS4 so always get 44ms.

If you don't want to pay much more and gaming is your priority then consider the C6 with 34-42ms of lag. But if you want a flat screen and you have a mix of TV, movies and gaming then I'd get the B6. Unless you can stretch to the E6.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
B6 feels fine for gaming here but then I get 44ms lag on mine with the Bodnar (euro version) and not 54ms, but this is when switching to the game input after using a PAL source. Strangely it goes up to 54ms otherwise, but then I only ever switch from a PAL source (Sky) over to my PS4 so always get 44ms.

woah weird, have you reported that on AVS / to LG? Also curious if other users on AVS could replicate on their B6

might mean there's some sort of bug in the B6 OS and a firmware upgrade could get the lag down much closer to the E6 level.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have pretty much decided on a 55 inch Vizio P series for this fall. I know it's IPS instead of VA but I want 120Hz and can't really go bigger than that.

FLEABttn

Banned
Is the ABL something you can disable? I've always wondered what was up with my screen brightness changing.

I'd be hesitant to say "no" as a blanket statement because I'm sure there's been a handful of TVs where you could, but the answer seems to be "generally no".

Also the two posters below me seem to think you can on the OLEDs and I don't feel confident enough to say otherwise so I'd defer to them. I have an LG plasma where you cannot so that's my experience with it.

I'd be hesitant to say "no" as a blanket statement because I'm sure there's been a handful of TVs where you could, but the answer seems to be "generally no".

Figured as much. It's near impossible to notice in games and movies (though if I cheese the camera I can do it sometimes), but it is noticeable when browsing the web and editing in Adobe software.

MrJames

Just ordered a Philips UHD player. Amazon has it for $300 right now and it uses the same chipset as the $700 Panasonic with fewer bells and whistles.

sector4

See? Even Sony's PR team knows that the black levels can't compete with OLED :p

I don't think anyone in their right mind thought it would be able to beat a display which can turn it's pixels off :p As long as the blacks are decent though, the extra brightness should help it look great with HDR content.

When did Sony announce this set?

Just this morning, full specs are here

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series/specifications

Looking forward to Rtings review of it.

Hopefully there will be a version that has all the features from this size, but only at 55" or smaller and much cheaper. Hopefully Game Mode Input Lag is <20-35ms. Might even change the 3D from Active to Passive if it's necessary, as long as the smaller version it has 3D.
The specs are here

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series/specifications

and looks like 3D is active still.

I hope the input lag is lower than 30ms. The x930d's input lag is unacceptable at 52ms on game mode and the x850d is ok at 34ms.

Still would like to know when this set was announced.
People keep misreporting this, input lag on the X930D is 36ms, it seems Rtings and other sites didn't get an accurate measurement.

source: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1461823563&rss

It does NOT support Dolby Vision and isn't UHD Premium certified (lol).

Yeah ouch hahaha at that price you'd think they could have forked out a bit for the Dolby Vision and or UHD Premium certification. Keep in mind though that the UHD Certification is a thing they have to pay for, the set can still meet those requirements and not be certified. iirc the X930D series met the requirements, but Sony didn't fork out to have the sticker on the box.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a real bummer that Sony set doesn't support Dolby Vision. Really hoping Neo supports it and that makes it seem far less likely.

sector4

So for the past month or so most our stores in Australia stopped stocking LG OLEDs, but now just this morning, new models were added.

zrYL4Tg.png

So now I could choose between the Sony X940D, Sony Z9D or LG B6 (E6 is probably a bit outside my price range haha). What is the LG B6 like? Can anyone point me to a decent review of the set with details like input lag?

EDIT: Nevermind I found this post, thanks!

Seems really nice except for the input lag, I wonder if it could be improved via firmware.
It's a real bummer that Sony set doesn't support Dolby Vision. Really hoping Neo supports it and that makes it seem far less likely.
Yeah, if anything, that should be a pretty good sign that Sony won't be supporting it with the PS4K, which makes Dolby Vision a streaming only format for now.

Kyoufu

Apparently Sony doesn't like DV and UHD Premium because it prevents their products from having their own identity and uniqueness. They want their products to stand out from the crowd so they go with their own HDR/4K logos/performance despite meeting all the standards set by the UHD Alliance.

Besides, Sony and Samsung don't really need Dolby Vision despite it being superior to HDR10 right now. With much higher brightness of LCD displays they can match and surpass DV quality with HDR, and once dynamic metadata for 12bit HDR rolls around then it won't matter.

Right now Dolby Vision is what keeps OLED competitive against the higher brightness HDR10 sets, so it's important for any OLED TV to have it, but for LCD, not so much.

Seems really nice except for the input lag, I wonder if it could be improved via firmware

It has been improved with firmware here in Europe at least. 44ms is where it's currently at here.

once dynamic metadata for 12bit HDR rolls around then it won't matter.
Maybe, maybe not. Dolby Vision can work via HDMI 1.4, which I think shows how forward thinking Dolby was that they could backwards. :p

My point being, it remains to be seen how metadata HDR10 will play out. Is it going to usher in yet another HDMI spec? At least Dolby Vision has defined standards and is likely not to divert from that anytime soon.

Though I wonder if the Xbox One S will be able to do Dolby Vision. Microsoft hasn't said said anything, to my knowledge.

Kyoufu

Maybe, maybe not. Dolby Vision can work via HDMI 1.4, which I think shows how forward thinking Dolby was that they could backwards. :p

My point being, it remains to be seen how metadata HDR10 will play out. Is it going to usher in yet another HDMI spec? At least Dolby Vision has defined standards and is likely not to divert from that anytime soon.

Though I wonder if the Xbox One S will be able to do Dolby Vision. Microsoft hasn't said said anything, to my knowledge.

Yep, good points made, but I think even static metadata HDR can look impressive on TVs with high nit count, at least when compared to OLED.

Are there any DV supported LCD TVs with high (1000+) nit capable panels? Vizio perhaps? I'm curious how it compares.

As far as Xbox One S goes, no mention of DV means it likely doesn't support it. :(

The Z is nowhere near the AVS hype of the past few days, but the impressions still sound very promising. I can't wait to see it in person. It's this or a E/G6 in the fall.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yep, good points made, but I think even static metadata HDR can look impressive on TVs with high nit count, at least when compared to OLED.

Are there any DV supported LCD TVs with high (1000+) nit capable panels? Vizio perhaps? I'm curious how it compares.

As far as Xbox One S goes, no mention of DV means it likely doesn't support it. :(

Vizio's displays support Dolby Vision. I actually don't think they even support HDR10 yet. Waiting on a firmware update.

finalflame

Gold Member
I'd stick with the LG you have now and save up my pennies for a major upgrade down the line.

Yah, part of me wants to wait until OLED for 4K HDR has had a bit more time in the oven, which is why I struck out spending the money on a B6. I can get by with HDR10 and okay-quality LCD for now, probably.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Interesting, will look into it. Thanks. Lack of 4:4:4 is a shame, but not a huge deal.
RTings is the only one that said it doesn't have proper 4:4:4. Users on AVS forum have tested it and said it works. I think it's limited to specific HDMI inputs though.

Vizio's displays support Dolby Vision. I actually don't think they even support HDR10 yet. Waiting on a firmware update.
Yep, still waiting on that firmware. I'd say we would be extremely lucky if we got the update by the time the Xbox One S came out. I don't know what the hold-up is. The CTO of Vizio made an interesting statement that said they shot for Dolby Vision first, since it was the most difficult to implement. Which left the easier HDR10 (by comparison) to come out later.

In regards to your nit question, the P-Series don't break 1000. It's around ~800 nit, though that's full-screen. Everyone else advertises their window nit, which isn't necessarily reflective of the real-world.

Going back to the Vizio CTO, apparently Vizio thinks the windowed measurements are wind to a straw house. I don't know enough to really comment one way or the other.
RTings is the only one that said it doesn't have proper 4:4:4. Users on AVS forum have tested it and said it works. I think it's limited to specific HDMI inputs though.
I've not been able to scope out AVSForum today, but yesterday the P-Serisles thread was a madhouse over 4:4:4. I'm hearing it doesn't work, but there have been tests that say it almost does (RTings), to others say that it does completely. I'll be paying close attention to how this unfolds. I don't PC on my P65, so I'm not affected, but it's more the dubious claims that this is a feature the P-Series can ha doe.

sector4

Early impressions on the Z9D seem overly positive

Digital Trends said:
it was immediately apparent Sony had just issued its best TV to date. The term “game changer” gets tossed around haphazardly these days, but not since the introduction of LG’s OLED TVs has this jaded reviewer been so impressed, and we’re pretty confident OLED is going to get a run for its money. In fact, it’s hard not to see the Z series as a more practical TV in many ways, given its outstanding brightness and HDR capabilities.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-z-series-led-tv-hands-on/

engadget said:
We were also treated to a side-by-side comparison of a Z-series TV when compared to an LG OLED TV plus a Samsung LCD, both of which are 4K HDR sets. The same video seen on the Samsung set looked pretty washed out -- the blacks were not nearly as deep and dark. The OLED TV, on the other hand, handled blacks as well as the Z-series, but it couldn't handle subtle colors. For example, a shot of a light fixture looked a little blown out on the OLED screen, while the same scene on the Z-series appeared more true-to-life. Similarly, a close-up of cooked rice looked rather monotone on the OLED screen, while the Z-series showed the same scene in much richer detail, so much so that each rice grain seemed to pop from the display.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/20/sony-z-series/

Take it all with a grain of salt though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
very interested to see them get into the hands of folks.

real pity about Dolby Vision, but I'm sure Sony and Samsung and others probably don't want to pay for a chipset from Dolby for every TV they sell.

gypsygib

Plasma is dead but it has no ghosting do to its 600hz screen response rate.

input lag still exists and is often worse than the best panels though due to all the other processing.

I have one of the old Plasma Titans but the new LED TV's look much better to me. Dat brightness.

Oled is probably the best answer, but who can afford that.

laxu

You get used to it but when you play something that requires very precise input you'll start to notice that you miss more jumps or whatever. I have a low input lag Panasonic plasma but my POS Denon AV receiver caused input lag. After routing audio TV to receiver I noticed I did much better in Bloodborne for example.

Impulsor

I'm nervous now.

I'm receiving my Samsung UE55KS9000 today. Will it have any defects? Will the banding make me dissappointed?

I'm scared and excited at the same time! HOLD ME, TV GAF!

Apparently Sony doesn't like DV and UHD Premium because it prevents their products from having their own identity and uniqueness. They want their products to stand out from the crowd so they go with their own HDR/4K logos/performance despite meeting all the standards set by the UHD Alliance.

Besides, Sony and Samsung don't really need Dolby Vision despite it being superior to HDR10 right now. With much higher brightness of LCD displays they can match and surpass DV quality with HDR, and once dynamic metadata for 12bit HDR rolls around then it won't matter.

Right now Dolby Vision is what keeps OLED competitive against the higher brightness HDR10 sets, so it's important for any OLED TV to have it, but for LCD, not so much.

It has been improved with firmware here in Europe at least. 44ms is where it's currently at here.

Dolby has a Dolby Vision 10,000 nit display, colorist can use to color grade for HDR/DV. DV can evolve as well, actually faster than HDR10 because it doesn't require hardware, like previously thought just a chipset thats strong enough to process the software metadata and 12bit backbone. HDR10 requires specific HDMI models to function properly.

Lethal

Neo Member
Guys...this is a TV by Chinese company LeTV that is selling like crazy in HK. They don't have an English page, so I have had to Google Translate the specs.

Original is here http://hk.shop.letv.com/product/x55/spec.html

Specs:

Screen
RGB three-color 55 "4K display
178 degree viewing angle 280nit minimum brightness
60Hz refresh rate

Resolution
3840 x 2160 (60fps)

CPU+GPU
Mstar 6A928 Cortex-A17 1.4GHz (4 core)
Mali T760MP4 (4 core)
MACE-PRO4 fourth-generation image processing engine
Support H.265 4K 60fps video hardware solutions

Storage
2GB DDR3
8GB eMMC

I know it's impossible to say anything about the screen quality without going hands on, but are these specs good? The price is very reasonable

I wouldn't want to miss the low input lag of my KS9000. In Furi I was just wrecking bosses compared to my last tv which had around 50ms. Could really not go back.

Mindwipe

Guys...this is a TV by Chinese company LeTV that is selling like crazy in HK. They don't have an English page, so I have had to Google Translate the specs.

Original is here http://hk.shop.letv.com/product/x55/spec.html

Specs:

Screen
RGB three-color 55 "4K display
178 degree viewing angle 280nit minimum brightness
60Hz refresh rate

Resolution
3840 x 2160 (60fps)

CPU+GPU
Mstar 6A928 Cortex-A17 1.4GHz (4 core)
Mali T760MP4 (4 core)
MACE-PRO4 fourth-generation image processing engine
Support H.265 4K 60fps video hardware solutions

Storage
2GB DDR3
8GB eMMC

I know it's impossible to say anything about the screen quality without going hands on, but are these specs good? The price is very reasonable

It's a 4K SDR TV. It would have to be *very* reasonable to stand out significantly, even if it's performance is good which we can't tell from this.

Lethal

Neo Member
It's a 4K SDR TV. It would have to be *very* reasonable to stand out significantly, even if it's performance is good which we can't tell from this.

It's about 800USD I think? Asking cos I JUST bought an expensive ass OLED LG a few months ago and people were hyping this up.

Thanks!

Kyoufu

How? I never saw it in options - are there any adverse effects to turning it off?

It's in the Service menu. If you turn it off you'll probably get some temporary image retention which won't last very long. The panel will do a compensation cycle in standby to clean the panel so I wouldn't worry about it, but only turn it off if pixel dimming is a major distraction for you. The settings in the Service menu shouldn't really be tampered with if you don't know what they all do.

To me, the more interesting aspect of the Z9 series is how indicative it will be of 2017's TV models. Most vendors seem confident that they can skip over OLED. Features from series like the Z9 trickling down to more mainstream models are what's going to allow that to happen.

2017 is going to be an exciting year for TVs. Cheaper OLEDs, probably a lot more better backlighting systems for LCDs.

Top Bottom