• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE receives AMDs "next gen" APU dev system

dmr87

Johan Andersson, Technical Director on Frostbite at DICE in Stockholm posted this picture on his Twitter. It's almost a week old but Sweclockers just reported on it. Most people probably don't care about stuff like this but I'm sure some of the tech heads on here will appreciate the picture.

Mnm.jpg

Google translate from Sweclockers
http://translate.google.com/transla...generations-apu-till-dice-i-stockholm&act=url

https://twitter.com/repi/status/306835055114866688
https://twitter.com/repi/status/308339620230356992

And some from Rage3D
No details as yet but that's a fairly sparse board, no memory sockets but a spot for a HD of some kind and a BR ODD already equipped. LOM and Wifi on the left, looks like USB 3 and an SD card reader on the right, and a couple of mini PCI-E cards at the back. The heatsink appears to cover both Fusion Controller Hub and APU itself.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33998877

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He explains it on his twitter. This is a PC motherboard, it runs Windows.

Devkits tend to change a lot.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft does go with Blu Ray.
They'll have to unless they want to continue using 7GB discs. Considering that not even Nintendo does that, I think they don't have much choice.

They'll have to unless they want to continue using 7GB discs. Considering that not even Nintendo does that, I think they don't have much choice.
They could go with a proprietary solution like Nintendo did. Doesn't have to be "Blu-Ray" to be optical storage using a blue laser (see also: HD-DVD).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They could go with a proprietary solution like Nintendo did. Doesn't have to be "Blu-Ray" to be optical storage using a blue laser (see also: HD-DVD).
I think what Nintendo is using is a bluray drive that doesn't have software to decode BRD movies. I doubt it's propriatary, more like what we had in the old Xbox, which used DVD discs but couldn't play DVD movies unless you plugged some extra hardware into it.

I think what Nintendo is using is a bluray drive that doesn't have software to decode BRD movies. I doubt it's propriatary, more like what we had in the old Xbox, which used DVD discs but couldn't play DVD movies unless you plugged some extra hardware into it.
False, original Xbox could play movies without the remote via software hack.

eastmen

Banned
What else can they go with? HD DVD? lol
They could. The tech to make it still exists as does the dusc pressing lines. They could get it fir a somg and a dance. They could also change up the specifications if thwy are the inly ones using it. Ie faster transfer rates at lower speeds

Its been 7 years since they were finalizing bluray. Ms could build a faster optical solutiob

I'm guessing it's a fully HSA compliant APU and AMD is going to be pushing hard for game and general software developers to start writing code that takes advantage of it. This could give them a huge edge over Intel going forward. If the PS4 and Xbox 720 are both HSA compliant it'll be even better.

Perkel

Banned
We can put at rest rumor about dual APU.

Honestly that DEVkit gives me hardware boner. Put motherboard in glass=awesome

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hoping to see some awesome things done with destruction for BF4.

Physics physics and more physics.

Amey

May be it's AMD trying to get cozy with DICE for BF4.
There was rumor of AMD prepping cut down version of PS4 APUs to sell in PCs.

The current speculations according to Sweclockers is either Kaveri or Kabini, maybe Richland.

I'm hoping for kaveri since I want to see how unified memory works on an x86 platform, but kabini seems more likely given kaveri's estimated ship date.

I'd love it if AMD are that far advanced with kaveri though, it seems to be the culmination of everything they've been talking about since they bought ati.

Could it be AMD's, not Valve's, own Steambox? I'd imagine they would still want it to play other Windows games not available on Steam.

Since AMD knows wtf is going on with next-gen systems, its probably not specifically a next gen system, but a PC targeted to next-gen specs. Helps serve a double purpose: for PC development, and gives next-gen like dev kits to developers who need it.

Feast yer eyes on it, this is the one console future (with slightly different APIs from each platform holder).

Devkits tend to change a lot.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft does go with Blu Ray.

It surprises me how many people seem confused about this stuff these days.

Microsoft has almost no choice other than to go with Bluray. DVD is not an option. Creating your own proprietary disc format is crazy expensive and a waste of money. The obvious choice is a bluray drive for the next Xbox.

Nintendo is not truly using a proprietary disc format for the Wii U. It's a bluray drive that can't play bluray movies. Maybe they've added their own bit of a code to the discs for security purposes, but they are basically bluray discs being read by a bluray drive.

Cartman86

Banned
PC. They would never take a picture of the 720's GPU.

Oh and Microsoft doesn't care that Sony "owns" blu-ray. They'll use it.

Schnozberry

May be it's AMD trying to get cozy with DICE for BF4.
There was rumor of AMD prepping cut down version of PS4 APUs to sell in PCs.

Why would they cut down the PS4 APU for PC's? If anything, they'd beef it up and sell it to the enthusiast gamer crowd.

The point he was trying to make is that you couldn't play DVDs without the license which is what the DVD playback kit provided. Even the Wii could play DVDs with a software hack.

They could use the bluray drive without license so long as they don't provide playback.

Why would they cut down the PS4 APU for PC's? If anything, they'd beef it up and sell it to the enthusiast gamer crowd.

Yeah, it'd be super smart for them to sell these boards to enthusiasts and companies that want to make steamboxes. AMD obviously has the technical know-how to make a next-gen system fit into a console form factor.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could do the same for BRD movies on WiiU if there was a hack for it. Disc drive in it is most likely the same kind of thing as any BR drive out there, just as the disc drive in the Xbox was a DVD drive with software disability, so that they wouldn't have to pay licensing.

Top Bottom