• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4 Demo Ran on A Radeon 7990 at 60fps/3K resolution, Confirms 7990 Existence

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6868/amd-teases-official-radeon-hd-7990

With that in mind, the 7990 will be moving from officially unofficial status to just outright official status. Ending their GDC presentation, AMD’s final item was a tease of their official Radeon HD 7990 design, with word that it’s coming soon. Real soon in fact, as we later found out DICE had been using some of these 7990 cards to power their Battlefield 4 demo elsewhere at GDC.

As this is a teaser AMD isn’t saying anything about the card beyond the fact that it’s a dual Tahiti card just as the unofficially official 7990s were.

Didn't see this posted so merge if it was. AMD saying the GDC demo ran on a 7990 which is on it's way in the near future for purchase. Should be fun to see how it stacks up against the Titan. Can we expect sweet flowing Tress-FX lockes on our multiplayer characters?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6868/amd-teases-official-radeon-hd-7990

Didn't see this posted so merge if it was. AMD saying the GDC demo ran on a 7990 which is on it's way in the near future for purchase. Should be fun to see how it stacks up against the Titan. Can we expect sweet flowing Tress-FX lockes on our multiplayer characters?

But the Titan is only one gpu, which is far more powerful than any single AMD card. It'd be a better comparison with the 690.

I am hoping the game still looks like that and runs in 1080p30 on PS4. After seeing how much the UE4 Elemental demo was downgraded on PS4, i'm getting a bit of a reality check when it comes to seeing games running on top spec PC GPUs versus PS4.

Can we expect sweet flowing Tress-FX lockes on our multiplayer characters?

No woman soldiers allowed in DICE online games.

This gen is going to be a disaster if devs don't starr taking art designs seriously. STOP promoting things to customers on unachievable hardware; it makes the console product look low value. imo

Smokey

This gen is going to be a disaster if devs don't starr taking art designs seriously. STOP promoting things to customers on unachievable hardware; it makes the console product look low value. imo

Unachievable? You can get a 7990 now. The truth is what it is...these GPUs > any console. You advertise on your best stuff.

Here are some details of the demo. It ran at 3K resolution (though video was 1080p only) and 60fps

DICE: What you saw yesterday is pre-alpha - it's not the final game or anything. We are lacking a lot of optimization. Without going into detail about what it could look like on a lower spec machine or a higher spec machine, we will have the scalability to bring the most out of any piece of hardware.

The demo is the visual target of what we want the game to look like, and when I say visual target I don't want people to confuse that with rendering pictures that you could never create in the actual game - when we create our visual targets a big part of that is to make it realistic, as in you will be able to run it on a machine that you can buy.

We've seen visual targets that are pre-rendered or running on machines that are designed for showing off technology - this is the game. Tobias was playing the game in the Frostbite engine with the content that we're using to build the game.

I imagine he was playing on a high-end PC?

DICE: It was a decent PC, yes. But you can still buy it, so it's not like alien technology or anything. It's still a PC that you can buy and it's still unoptimized code. Another thing that you might not have realized is that we ran it at 3K resolution at 60fps, and you don't do that. Nobody talked about pixels because at that size you couldn't see them.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...efield-4-from-gut-feelings/?page=2#top_banner

KyleN

Banned
I do not see why they would need 3K @60fps when they would be showing it off in a highly compressed 1080p @30fps. It is about time that youtube upgrades to 60fps.

Some people that attended the event got a hold of the raw 60 fps version of the video. Not sure why its not online yet.

Seance

Banned
Would be interesting to see how the reference design compares to some of the 7990 class cards out already, such as the Devil13.

I do not see why they would need 3K @60fps when they would be showing it off in a highly compressed 1080p @30fps. It is about time that youtube upgrades to 60fps.

To get rid of jaggies and pixel crawling.

That open landscape with the far away builings and construction sites would look like shit at 1080p with no real AA because all the small geometry just turns into a pixelated mess.
construction_1p_1920xu9uqk.jpg
See those cranes, chimneys, antennas, gaps in the unfinished buildings etc?

When you play this bit for yourself at 1080p (or 720p *shudder*) it's not going to be pretty...

xn0

Dual AMD GPUs = Crossfire, no matter if it's on one board or two separate boards.

Crossfire is broken at the moment. Nvidia's SLI is much better until AMD releases a fix (July or so)

I can confirm this. I put together an nice gaming machine with 2 water cooled PowerColor LCS 6990's in XFire. I've been unable to play pretty much every game I've purchased at launch in the last year and a half without having to turn off Crossfire and waiting for a driver tweak sometimes months later. If I do 2 videocards in my next build I'll definitely be trying Nvidia SLI and avoiding Crossfire.

GodofWine

how does the PS4 compare to the 7990?

PS4 costs about 500 dollars less, comes with a BR and HD and everything else you need to play games...so obviously its not going to compete head to head with a finished PC decked out with a 7990.

All in all, it compares well based on economics. And if people stopped caring about 1080p on consoles (which is worthless at most comfy couch playing distances), it would probably do quite well.

Give me 60fps at 720p (or even high 600s) and massive scale and from 12ft away I'll be happy in MP games

I can confirm this. I put together an nice gaming machine with 2 water cooled PowerColor LCS 6990's in XFire. I've been unable to play pretty much every game I've purchased at launch in the last year and a half without having to turn off Crossfire and waiting for a driver tweak sometimes months later. If I do 2 videocards in my next build I'll definitely be trying Nvidia SLI and avoiding Crossfire.

That's four GPUs, so there's always going to be more problems with a quad setup. If I'm not mistaken though, tri and quad GPU setups eliminate much of the microstutter experienced with two card Crossfire setups.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In my experience, working CF profiles usually come out within weeks of launch or not at all.

Top Bottom