• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capybaragames president thinks FC3:Blood dragon Trailer is a ripoff.

Hanmik

Just saw this on twitter

16fhiWY.jpg

GtVjLgu.jpg

UPDATE: and he has written some more..

8c3my3t.jpg

this is the trailer for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

this is the trailer for Super Time Force : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X2NP2o49i0

so what do you think..?

syoaran

If you watched the first six seconds of each trailer then I could totally see the rip off. So unless is shipping about a Vine version of the trailer, I don't see it.

One is emulating really cheesy 80s action, the other is emulating really cheesy 80s kids cartoons.

Zia

Sorry, Nathan. It's similar in that it also apes shitty 80s advertoon and action film culture. I honestly don't think they were trying to steal from you.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The only similarity are the cuts at the beginning. There is literally nothing else similar between the two.

FStop7

Banned
Second bizarre meltdown from a Capy dev in the past couple of days. Another one flipped out over Bioshock Infinite.

harSon

Banned
They are pretty similar though. I mean, I've never seen a trailer with that execution before, and now I've seen two.

The concept is obviously similar, but Blood Dragon seems just as steeped in 80s nostalgia as Super Time Force. The question is, does more than one concept for marketing this kind of aesthetic even exist?

Beckx

Some thoughts:

1. Super Time Force is great.

2. Blood Dragon looks great.

3. "It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it." - Roger Ebert.

4. Mark Twain on plagiarism:

Oh, dear me, how unspeakably funny and owlishly idiotic and grotesque was that ‘plagiarism’ farce! As if there was much of anything in any human utterance, oral or written, except plagiarism! The kernel, the soul — let us go further and say the substance, the bulk, the actual and valuable material of all human utterances — is plagiarism. For substantially all ideas are second-hand, consciously and unconsciously drawn from a million outside sources, and daily use by the garnerer with a pride and satisfaction born of the superstition that he originated them; whereas there is not a rag of originality about them anywhere except the little discoloration they get from his mental and moral calibre and his temperament, and which is revealed in characteristics of phrasing. When a great orator makes a great speech you are listening to ten centuries and ten thousand men — but we call it his speech, and really some exceedingly small portion of it is his. But not enough to signify. It is merely a Waterloo. It is Wellington’s battle, in some degree, and we call it his; but there are others that contributed. It takes a thousand men to invent a telegraph, or a steam engine, or a phonograph, or a telephone or any other important thing — and the last man gets the credit and we forget the others. He added his little mite — that is all he did. These object lessons should teach us that ninety-nine parts of all things that proceed from the intellect are plagiarisms, pure and simple; and the lesson ought to make us modest. But nothing can do that.

The only thing close is the opening shots of crappy commercials/tv shows. Guy is just trying to start controversy. I thought you were better than this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He has an acct here if I remember so maybe he can flesh it out a bit more for us. I'm not really seeing it though.

That's... yeah sorry but that's super different, after the first like 5 seconds (?)

you got me to watch your fucking awesome trailer though, so... congrats?

Guy is overstating it. Both references the same thing while making their games so OF COURSE it will be similar. I'm looking forward to both games, and this just makes me facepalm in real life.

Sorral

Just watched his trailer. They are not really the same... Or did he patent/trademark anything that feels like it is from the 80s?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
TALES OF EMBARRASSMENT from BUTTHURT CITY

A product parodying 80's culture framing itself like a product from the 80's isn't exactly some amazing innovation in marketing, guy.

harSon

Banned
While I sort of agree with the notion that the trailers are quite similar, it's kind of a mute point considering the art/style in their trailer is pretty similar to Pendleton Ward's trademark art/style (Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors).

Top Bottom