• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

Hanmik

http://www.edge-online.com/features...re-community-shaping-the-games-medias-agenda/

Some qoutes..

Times have changed. NeoGAF is becoming more conspicuous and influential with every controversy it fuels, and every leaked screenshot it houses. It spotted Orth’s tweets, dissected them, and brought them to the games media’s attention, prompting an apology and now, apparently, has played its part in someone actually losing their job.

Silicon Knights president Denis Dyack joined NeoGAF to promote Too Human in 2008, and was the next industry figure to feel its wrath. “He called out the entire NeoGAF userbase by making a thread entitled ‘Too Human – stand and be counted,’ where he insisted that NeoGAF members pledged to be either for or against Too Human, with users in the ‘losing’ camp being branded depending on the game’s critical reception,” explains Malka.

Dyack’s post read: “When the game is released and everyone plays [the] game all the speculation will be over. If I am wrong and gamers in general think the game is ‘crap’ then I am comfortable with getting tagged ‘Owned by the GAF’. However, if I am right and it is received well, I would like to see those ‘Against’ to be tagged with ‘Owned by Too Human’.”

It ended badly. The title was released to critical indifference, and amid ever-escalating criticism on the NeoGAF, Dyack launched a tirade against the site on a 1UP podcast. Malka banned Dyack as a result, and the matter was reported across the games media, just like the Bell affair.

lzJ9mPK.jpg

Malka describes NeoGAF as his life’s work. He joined the community when he was fourteen, took it over when he was 19 and has been running it as a full-time job since 2006. He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site.

NeoGAF might be seen by some as a lawless playground for harder-than hardcore games enthusiasts, but that’s not the case, Malka contends. “We have strict rules about user behaviour, strict rules against bigotry and discourse that resembles Youtube comments, and the enforcement of these rules is backed by the difficulty in obtaining an account,” he tells us.

There will be other Jeff Bells, Denis Dyacks and Adam Orths. It’s not always comfortable viewing, but NeoGAF’s influence is nonetheless a reflection of how the lines are blurring between the media and the communities its serves.

antitrop

"Adam Orth’s apparent departure from Microsoft last night might just be NeoGAF’s defining moment, for better or worse."

No, it isn't.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
NeoGAF: Meet edge the-gameinformer-exclusive-screenshot-stealing-website-that-does-it-for-the-clicks

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hey look, we're on Television Edge! Woooo!

I think it's a bit harsh saying that WE were the ones responsible for him getting fired, mind... That's a bit of a loaded accusation to me. :<

He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site

Maaaaan, fuck that, Evilore, I would have taken that money
KuGsj.gif

Yeah I am pretty great. It's funny how people view it as lawless yet if you ask any former user they say you get banned too easily.

Malka describes NeoGAF as his life&#8217;s work. He joined the community when he was fourteen, took it over when he was 19 and has been running it as a full-time job since 2006. He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site.

All hail EviLore, our tireless overlord.

I think it's a bit harsh saying that WE were the ones responsible for him getting fired, mind... That's a bit of a loaded accusation to me. :<

Yeah it's definitely NeoGAF's fault, not the gaming websites that reposted the story for the guaranteed hits. Those guys are totally not to blame!

"Malka describes NeoGAF as his life’s work. He joined the community when he was fourteen, took it over when he was 19 and has been running it as a full-time job since 2006. He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site."

Dayuummm

I wonder how would it turn out if a corporation takes over NeoGAF. If it turned out bad, props to Malka for turning it down

TheNatural

My Member!
Outside of sales data, we never get any inside info though. Where are all these industry insiders to post some good old fashioned anonymous news? Leakers are less afraid of governments than breaking a videogame company's NDA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just want to talk about my digital manchild games.

Editorials like this worry me because it means even more attention will be placed on GAF, and as a result more people will want to join. While I'm a relatively recent member, I joined this website because I lurked it for a six-month period and enjoyed reading the conversations here. It would be a shame if GAF became the "next big thing", because I think it would harm the website's overall quality.

I would also hope that game developers don't start to look to GAF for approval. While I like our poster base, game development should come out of inspiration, not focus group testing. GAF is a relatively intelligent body, but it would still be focus group testing.

AAK

NeoGAF's defining moment?

1. BruceLeeRoy's MGS4 OP. That is the best.

2. Doombringer meltdowns

3. Adam Orth meltdown

Top Bottom