• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom FY14 Plan: Heavily promote Lost Planet 3/MH4, expects next-gen costs to soar

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's a bit vague, but we should ideally get more within a few days.

tl;dr list:
-They expect sales to be depressed until next-gen consoles launch, and they expect costs to soar due to their more powerful hardware
-"Business alliances and consolidations may therefore occur in increasing numbers" <- I can't tell if they're talking about the industry or if they intend to sign new partnerships and consider mergers
-They're overhaul their outsourcing (it will still continue, but they will be more picky)
-Focusing on consoles/handhelds, online games, and smartphones
-They feel growth in the overseas markets (both the West and other Asian countries) is critical
-Their plan for this year is to heavily promote the blockbuster titles Monster Hunter 4 and Lost Planet 3

Capcom said:
3. Prospects for the next fiscal year

As for future prospects, the industry is expected to find an increasingly mature market of home video games, which is our core business segment. Even though a full lineup of new home video game consoles will eventually be released, the industry is likely to be in a period of scant new product releases over the near future, awaiting the full-scale launch of the next generation machines. In the meantime, development costs are projected to soar as advanced and multiple functions are added to hardware. Business alliances and consolidations may therefore occur in increasing numbers.

The emergence of smartphones has lent momentum to platforms other than game-only machines. Amid this development, the social game market is projected to be on a growing.
Competition is thus expected to become extremely intense among companies.

Capcom said:
Faced with this sudden and significant changes in the operating environment, Capcom intends to direct its development resources to the home video game software, which is our core business segment, and the development of online games, which is a growing area, based on its medium-term strategic map. In addition, the Company will strive to expand the Pachinko & Pachislo business and the contents business by capitalizing on its high quality software assets in an effort to diversify its sources of income. Through marketing strategies and promotion activities that respond to diverse user needs, the Company will also firmly establish its competitive advantages so as to win the race for survival.

Furthermore, development of overseas markets is essential because of their scale in order for the Company to press forward with its growth strategies. Capcom will therefore accelerate its global expansion by concentrating its efforts on the expansion of its contents distribution business in Southeast Asia, where rapid growth is projected, backed by communications infrastructure improvement, including fast-paced spread of smartphones.

Capcom said:
In order to lower development costs and shorten time frame for development, Capcom will restructure its development organizations, which are the core parts of the Company's business, increasing ratio of in-house developments by focusing on the overhaul of overseas development companies. Streamlining measures will also be taken over the entire business operations as part of efforts to strengthen the management system. Such measures will include further improvements in transparency, efficiency, cost reductions and financial structure. Capcom will endeavor to create a corporate constitution that enables its group as a whole to respond flexibly to a changing environment.

As for product strategies for the current fiscal year ending in March 31, 2014, the Company will take an aggressive stance focusing to promote large-scale titles with "Monster Hunter 4" (for Nintendo 3DS) and "Lost Planet 3" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) focused on the domestic and overseas markets respectively, resulting in high profit which are 97,000 million yen in net sales, 12,000 million yen in operating income, 11,700 million yen in ordinary income, 6,800 million yen in net income.
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/review.html

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Monster Hunter 4 will do amazing.

Lost Planet 3..... Hmm

Takao

Banned
-Their plan for this year is to heavily promote the blockbuster titles Monster Hunter 4 and Lost Planet 3

hahahahaha

-Focusing on consoles/handhelds, online games, and smartphones

So they're focusing on everything?

Jawmuncher

Heavily Promote Lost Planet 3 huh?
Well they better start with that, most people forget it even exists.

Real interested what they have planned for E3/Next Gen since they're saying big sales will come from that avenue. I'm betting on a lot of cross gen games and of course dead rising 3.

Hellraider

They are honestly putting MH4 and LP3 on the same line as the games to promote?
Now I want more than ever to see their expectations for LP3.I know I would laugh.How much is the question.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lost Planet 3 is going to bomb so bad and they're going to have to put out a bunch of stuff again about how they're restructuring and reevaluating their approaches. I just see no scenario where that game is successful.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Heavily promoting Lost Planet 3 instead of doing barely any for Dragon's Dogma (twice) in the west is fucking wacko hour.

Westerners just hate dragon hunting rpg's after all!

Duxxy3

Didn't lost planet 2 destroy the series?

And isn't monster hunter a niche title in the west?

8 ball tells me... outlook not so good.

Mugaaz

Lost Planet 3 is going to bomb so bad and they're going to have to put out a bunch of stuff again about how they're restructuring and reevaluating their approaches. I just see no scenario where that game is successful.

Wow, can't believe they even MADE LP3, let alone going all in on it.

Ridley327

Didn't lost planet 2 destroy the series?

And isn't monster hunter a niche title in the west?

8 ball tells me... outlook not so good.

They're going all out with MH4 in Japan because it's one of the biggest series out there; a western release is not expected in 2013. That's part of the reason why they're putting a lot of eggs in LP3's basket, on top of it being the only major game release that they currently have announced for the second half of the year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fuse
Remember ME
Lost Planet 3

will all bomb. Things aren't looking good for Last of Us either, the game seems to have lost it's hype
Yeah it's weird, The Last Of Us doesn't seem to have the hype I thought it would this close to release. Just more lack of promotion. I thought the game looked unremarkable from the start but I hope it does well just so they don't get stuck making Uncharteds for the rest of time.

Yeah it's weird, The Last Of Us doesn't seem to have the hype I thought it would this close to release. Just more lack of promotion. I thought the game looked unremarkable from the start but I hope it does well just so they don't get stuck making Uncharteds for the rest of time.

I thought the game looked great last e3. It seems to doing incredible things with the AI, but then they showed those brain dead clicker enemies and then the plot leaked...I dunno

Hey guys, can you feel that next gen love from yet another developer?

A major developer has its main focus on existing hardware until March 2014.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement for PS4/720.

Not.

DaBoss

I think new console hype is replacing Last Of Us hype.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

A major developer has it's main focus on existing hardware until March 2014.

Not.

You're going to have to run me through this one.

So Capcom doesn't expect many product releases until next-gen hits, but expects costs to soar due to next-gen.

Doesn't this imply they're spending a lot of resources on next-gen titles currently?

kswiston

I thought the game looked great last e3. It seems to doing incredible things with the AI, but then they showed those brain dead clicker enemies and then the plot leaked...I dunno

The plot leaking doesn't matter at all. How many people follow gaming news close enough to A) know that, and B) have any interest reading it? 10k?

The Last of Us will live or die based on its scores and marketing campaign to regular gamers. Not based on some gameplay previews or plot leaks that only the most devoted gamers even know about.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard much talk about the game from regular gamers. Sony should really be amping up the marketing blitz considering we are a month from launch.

Ridley327

A major developer has it's main focus on existing hardware until March 2014.

Not.

I'd have to imagine that we'll be hearing a lot more about their next gen plans once Durango is unveiled. It's not like they entered last gen with guns blazing, either.

Lost Planet 3 ?!, not so sure.

No new games yet eh ?!

well there is still MP, so it will get hyped again soon enough I think.

Maybe most people are like me and doing media blockout :D

Ooh god they will go down before Deep down or Dragon Dogma 2 is released :(

With next gen around the corner i think i rather spend the money on new Ip or a next gen game.

Weird that some developers are saying costs shouldn't rise much next-gen, while others are saying they're going to skyrocket. Granted, Capcom had 600 people make Resident Evil 6, so they've already shown they are fucking insane.

NotLiquid

In the meantime, development costs are projected to soar as advanced and multiple functions are added to hardware. Business alliances and consolidations may therefore occur in increasing numbers.

So now we finally have a developer preparing themselves for concern about this old issue.

Will be interesting to see how Capcom copes with it who've probably suffered a deal on account of high budgeted risks.

As long as Sony doesn't screw up the marketing (and we all know they could considering it's Sony) Last of Us should do okay. Probably won't start a new franchise though. The hype right now if for new consoles though, so maybe a cross gen version could help?

Remember Me just makes absolutely no sense launching right now.

You're going to have to run me through this one.

So Capcom doesn't expect many product releases until next-gen hits, but expects costs to soar due to next-gen.

Doesn't this imply they're spending a lot of resources on next-gen titles currently?

I'm sure they're spending tons on their own proprietary engine (forgot what it is called).

But the fact that they admitted their focus is current gen through to March 2014 is pretty telling.

crozier

I don't care how good the third is, Lost Planet wil not perform well. Did LP2 even break a million worldwide?

Top Bottom