• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Side note related to Super Metroid. It opened my eyes to the jump to S-Video from basic composite cables. The Red Nintendo Logo's clarity was just unreal

Then their bodies are weak and they are not worthy.

image.php

D.Lo

Super Metroid is the best designed game ever made to this day, equalled only by Link's Awakening. I play it through at least once a year.

I thought this would be an interesting post for here. Rene from dbElectronics put up his blog post about the issues with running 3,3v flash media on a 5v device with out the proper electronics in place to handle it, he also talks about which devices have proper designs and what doesn't.

https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/#Everdrive_N8

Here's just the introduction to give people some info.

So I never thought the SD2SNES's extra features were worth the extra cost but having a device which doesn't cause long term damage to the system is a much better reason.

I went to look at selling my Super Everdrive in Canada. Can someone explain why I can get significantly more than I paid for it on ebay? Especially factoring in the black friday discount. Is being a local seller that valuable?

I could almost sell now (or in the next little while) + replace the Super Everdrive and Everdrive MD v3 in the fall and not lose that much in the process.

televator

So I never thought the SD2SNES's extra features were worth the extra cost but having a device which doesn't cause long term damage to the system is a much better reason.

I went to look at selling my Super Everdrive in Canada. Can someone explain why I can get significantly more than I paid for it on ebay? Especially factoring in the black friday discount. Is being a local seller that valuable?

I could almost sell now (or in the next little while) + replace the Super Everdrive and Everdrive MD v3 in the fall and not lose that much in the process.

Damn, I think he even says it would be difficult to modify the carts to correct the issue.
From the comments:
Pas vraiment non, ça serait très difficile d’ajouter des level translators là où il en manque.
Not really no, it would be very difficult to add level translators where it is missing.

televator

Im not up on the Voultar videos so what's the problem with his presentation? From what little I've seen of him, I haven't witnessed anything offensive... I mean it certainly beats getting your info from Adam Koralic.

Very cool cart. I guess a bit pricey for what it is but very cool.

RF04xMi.jpg

(Still having trouble posting, whaaaa)

You're sharing the link to the gallery that's why it won't work in img tags. You need to share the Link to the actual picture and then sometimes you need to add ".jpg" to the end.

Edit : this is the link I get when I share your actual picture

"http://i.imgur.com/RF04xMi.jpg"

You always want it to look like that when posting from imgur

Edit 2: I did this from the android app.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Im not up on the Voultar videos so what's the problem with his presentation? From what little I've seen of him, I haven't witnessed anything offensive... I mean it certainly beats getting your info from Adam Koralic.
He's kinda arrogant but I like that.

His attempts at humor are not funny and make watching any of his videos very difficult; the cringe factor is just too high. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him for that that but it's well beyond the level of any retro/rgb authority that I've seen. I've gone pretty easy on just about anyone putting themselves out there, like it's tough, but at some point you have to recognize that something is a problem.

His criticism of mod/cable work also comes off as self promoting, which I genuinely don't think is the intent, but a lot of people have felt that way. Also if you're going to act as an authority, and clearly have the knowhow & skills to back it up, it's much better to do so without the petty insults, hyperbole, and etc. And if your goal is to see better mod work or cable work or whatever from people selling stuff there are better ways to engage with sellers to make that happen.

And yeah it's still much better than Adam Koralik.

You're sharing the link to the gallery that's why it won't work in img tags. You need to share the Link to the actual picture and then sometimes you need to add ".jpg" to the end.

Edit : this is the link I get when I share your actual picture

"http://i.imgur.com/RF04xMi.jpg"

You always want it to look like that when posting from imgur

Edit 2: I did this from the android app.
the imgur app seems limited. i guess i need to look up about using mobile.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
And if your goal is to see better mod work or cable work or whatever from people selling stuff there are better ways to engage with sellers to make that happen.
I could've sworn the RR guys have said they've tried contacting RCA about the cables and those efforts have been ignored. OTOH RGC has been open to them and worked with them to make their cables better. I have no problem with him calling out RCA if they've ignored previous attempts to make their cables better.

the imgur app seems limited. i guess i need to look up about using mobile.

On android you can just click and hold on the image and then select "share" then "copy to clipboard"

I switch back to iOS every now and then and always get so frustrated with the limited sharing and opening options that I sell the phone within a week or 2.

It's possible the iOS app does this though

On android you can just click and hold on the image and then select "share" then "copy to clipboard"

I switch back to iOS every now and then and always get so frustrated with the limited sharing and opening options that I sell the phone within a week or 2.

It's possible the iOS app does this though
yeah i'm using iOS

edit: ok i just figured out using the app on iphone. it's wonky but manageable.

some of the features on PC are not available and have to be typed in manually. like resizing pics from imgur.

Damn, I think he even says it would be difficult to modify the carts to correct the issue.
From the comments:

Looks like Krikzz has responded. Highlights:

• There's a large ground plane in most of his boards on the reverse
  • He's been using his resistor arrays for 7 years of heavy use on some systems and not seen ill effects, so any problems from this might take a very long time to emerge
  • His at least somewhat recent and all future designs are using level translators when needed.

dubc35

Oh man, I was just thinking of how bad my xbox was when I remembered I have a NES front loader coming from Goodwill via ebay. I might have to quarantine it when I get it just for peace of mind. *uneasy quivering* lol

BTails

As I now have an easy way to play PS2 without fighting Disc Read Errors, I've been thinking a lot about the console's catalog, and how many great hidden gems are in there. What are some of your favourites?

I'll start with Shadow of Destiny, which was a cool adventure game by Konami early on in the PS2's life, which had you travelling back in time to prevent your own death. I remember one particular puzzles where your character was killed by an assassin hiding behind a tree: you then go back in time and prevent the tree from being planted, so the assassin can't hide behind it in the present.

I'm looking forward to replaying it, as I have pretty fond memories, and I'm sure I didn't see all the endings (Wikipedia tells me there's 8 in total).

Laws00

Super Metroid is one of those games that needs to be brought to each generation. It should be required gaming, a fine example of pretty much everything done right.
No thanks I find Metroid uninsteresting and boring as fuck.

I know it and castlevania spawned a genre but no thanks. In before someone catches me ranting and raving the amiibos coming out as well as the game lol

televator

Looks like Krikzz has responded. Highlights:

• There's a large ground plane in most of his boards on the reverse
  • He's been using his resistor arrays for 7 years of heavy use on some systems and not seen ill effects, so any problems from this might take a very long time to emerge
  • His at least somewhat recent and all future designs are using level translators when needed.

I appreciate all the work and advancements Krikzz has made in this niche market. However, I do know that he's not always on point. I ordered a Mega ED from him that never worked on any number of configurations I have on hand of the various Genesis models and he insisted the problem was on my end the entire time. So he can have a rather strong bias when it come to his own product.

He's kinda arrogant but I like that.

Takes the right kind of person to pull it off.

His attempts at humor are not funny and make watching any of his videos very difficult; the cringe factor is just too high. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him for that that but it's well beyond the level of any retro/rgb authority that I've seen. I've gone pretty easy on just about anyone putting themselves out there, like it's tough, but at some point you have to recognize that something is a problem.

His criticism of mod/cable work also comes off as self promoting, which I genuinely don't think is the intent, but a lot of people have felt that way. Also if you're going to act as an authority, and clearly have the knowhow & skills to back it up, it's much better to do so without the petty insults, hyperbole, and etc. And if your goal is to see better mod work or cable work or whatever from people selling stuff there are better ways to engage with sellers to make that happen.

And yeah it's still much better than Adam Koralik.

I guess I'll have to see more vids for myself. Any specific examples you can think of? However if what Fuzzy says is true and Voultar and his pals really tried to contact RCA to no avail, that does kinda put that product line into open season for criticism imo.

As I now have an easy way to play PS2 without fighting Disc Read Errors, I've been thinking a lot about the console's catalog, and how many great hidden gems are in there. What are some of your favourites?

I'll start with Shadow of Destiny, which was a cool adventure game by Konami early on in the PS2's life, which had you travelling back in time to prevent your own death. I remember one particular puzzles where your character was killed by an assassin hiding behind a tree: you then go back in time and prevent the tree from being planted, so the assassin can't hide behind it in the present.

I'm looking forward to replaying it, as I have pretty fond memories, and I'm sure I didn't see all the endings (Wikipedia tells me there's 8 in total).
i love that game. i have 2 copies!
Such a weird game. Rented it years ago, my friend and I had fun with it, even if it was mostly at the expense of the game.
the main character Ike had such stylish long legs and short upper body Jacket like a Final Fantasy character.

Speaking of CC, there's a new Fami joint in the pipeline
NEO Heiankyo Alien coming at the end of August
that's a cool cover.

$50 sounds pretty steep :-/

Not really seeing the appeal of the game itself, but the cover-art is lovely.
were nes games MSRP $50 back in the day? i don't remember... i thought i brought life force for $29.99 and the only game that was more was zelda.

A phone isn't a replacement for a PC. Get an Amiga guys.
haha, i never had an amiga. that was for the rich kids.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So... what's the deal with that Schbibinman Super Famicom cart? As I understand it, the game was originally released on the Satellaview.... but I don't really know anything about this new release. Is it actually officially sanctioned by the dev?

Yes Boss!

So... what's the deal with that Schbibinman Super Famicom cart? As I understand it, the game was originally released on the Satellaview.... but I don't really know anything about this new release. Is it actually officially sanctioned by the dev?

It has Masaya all over it and a new title screen with Masaya and Circle.

Also, it is freaking a really really fun little game. It is a blast.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It has Masaya all over it and a new title screen with Masaya and Circle.

Also, it is freaking a really really fun little game. It is a blast.

Aw, man, that's really cool. I had no idea this thing was even happening. Guess I'll get a copy.

I was kinda disappointed when that ghetto fighting game came out a couple months back, because the idea of a 2017 SNES game was just too cool to waste on something like that. This, though? This is exactly what I wanted.

were nes games MSRP $50 back in the day? i don't remember... i thought i brought life force for $29.99 and the only game that was more was zelda.

I think there was some more variability in the pricing of NES carts compared to present day.

I distinctly remember Castlevania III costing $49.95. I was with my dad when he bought it for me [birthday present...perfect for one born on Halloween ;)].

On the other hand, I think TMNT was between $30-40.

Oh god, if only it were that easy to pack up my retro collection. I probably won't move for another 2 or 3 years because of how much of a pain it was (and I didn't even have a PVM then). Next time, I'm paying people to do everything.

Holy crap, got my Akumajo Dracula X from PCEWorks; this is by far the best repro I have ever purchased. I will be purchasing all my PCE CD stuff from them from here on out.

And the best part? IT ACTUALLY WORKS! My TurboDuo is so picky with discs, I am overjoyed that this disc spun up immediately.

Though I do went with the non-translated version; the audio mix is weird in this one.

Also got my Retrovision SNES, Genesis/Saturn cables. I figured out how to get to the service menu of my Toshiba CRT, so I got the picture calibrated, and hot damn do these cables work great.

Holy crap, got my Akumajo Dracula X from PCEWorks; this is by far the best repro I have ever purchased. I will be purchasing all my PCE CD stuff from them from here on out.

And the best part? IT ACTUALLY WORKS! My TurboDuo is so picky with discs, I am overjoyed that this disc spun up immediately.

Though I do went with the non-translated version; the audio mix is weird in this one.

Also got my Retrovision SNES, Genesis/Saturn cables. I figured out how to get to the service menu of my Toshiba CRT, so I got the picture calibrated, and hot damn do these cables work great.
hey, that's a cool lookin repro. i need a duo sometime down the line and a saturn (for layer section)

I guess the PSP kind of counts as Retro right? It's been long enough. Anyway I'm about 9 hours into Ys Seven and for the most part I'm really digging it. It's obviously the model all the recent ones are based on, and its such a HUGE jump in quality all around after the god awfulness that was Ark of Napishtim.

I guess the PSP kind of counts as Retro right? It's been long enough. Anyway I'm about 9 hours into Ys Seven and for the most part I'm really digging it. It's obviously the model all the recent ones are based on, and its such a HUGE jump in quality all around after the god awfulness that was Ark of Napishtim.

The last one I played was Ark of Napishtim back when that came out on PSP. I've been meaning to give the series another try.

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797309&page=22

Top Bottom