• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Playmore hiring for 3D game, KoF listed

Loona

A recent post at Madman's Cafe pointed out SNKP updated its emplyment page, and iss now hiring staff for 3D projects, with KoF explicitely listed:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/employment/

According to chazumaru at the MMCafe thread:
Well, they say they are looking for 5 planners (= game designers), 10 CG artists and 10 programmers, to create amazing new 3D episodes of KOF and SamSpi. Basically sounds like they don't have a team for these games besides a producer. The other job offers are for smartphone and Pachislo projects. The game dev people will be based in Osaka. Other new employees will be based in Osaka and Tokyo. Game programmers applying are asked to have experience with OpenGL, Xbox360 and PS3 development. Does not really seem like the projects have really started yet...

Of particular interest is one of the images in that page: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/img/bana_recruit_20130515.png

Some say Terry, but IMO that look is too stern for him - new character/protagonist? Older Rock Howard?

Cautiously optimistic here - I liked the SNK history fanservice in the KoF MI games.

Lock/merge/delete if old.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Maximum Impact 2 was great. I dont get the hate for it (First one was ok) and with how things are going now I believe they can make something interesting.

shaowebb

Kind of has the Garou Terry coat. 3d Garou sequel? Given the Garou card game we know they are into that series still.

Jubern

Didn't really get into Maximum Impact but heard good things about 2 and Regulation A. IIRC, Reg A2 never came out, right?

Skilletor

Could this be to help with doing the 3D models they used to make sprites?

Please?

If not, that's cool. I loved Maximum Impact.

apesh1t

Banned
Maximum Impact 2 was great. I dont get the hate for it (First one was ok) and with how things are going now I believe they can make something interesting.

both were great (one was called 2006 (?))

Probably the best 2D to 3D fighter of all time

Kikujiro

Well it was a fun game and full of things to do and unlock, I had great fun with it. But as a competitive fighting game it was ass, completely unbalanced.

TreIII

Regulation A (MI2's update) was even better.

And I don't get the hate either. The games accomplished exactly what SNK wanted Falcoon to do for them: be fun games with lots of content to unlock and plenty of SNK fanservice to behold.

My only problem? I just wanted more. And I'm hoping this is a sign of me finally getting that.

Hiring 3D modeling staff doesn't mean they are going to develop a fully polygon KOF game. KOFXIII was made with 3D models, pass a pre-render process and finally paint over the frames, making the sprites.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hiring 3D modeling staff doesn't mean they are going to develop a fully polygon KOF game. KOFXIII was made with 3D models, pass a pre-render process and finally paint over the frames, making the sprites.

That's a good point.

Well, whatever SNK has planned, I'm looking forward to it.

sibarraz

Banned
Is still weird, the previous president of SNK fired all their team work after XIII, so I don't know if they still had the guys que made the transition from 3D to 2D

Well, even if the game is 3D, I'm glad since I found better this than watching SNKP be a company that only releases pachinko and mobile games

Loona

No not my precious sprites! Looks like an older Rock or maybe Ryo?

Older-looking Ryo has already been established in some games (FF Wild Ambition, Buriki One, Garou artwork, NGBC), and his hair wouldn't look like that.

I'm really leaning toward older Rock with a mindset adopted from Kain as per his Garou ending (those eyes do have a cold feel to them), which wouldn't be too far from Geese's - with that a less colorful way to dress would sort of fit the mood, but I could see him taking on a jacket not unlike Garou Terry's.

Then again, Rock's eyes are red, what the hell was I thinking - still, that gaze is too cold for Terry (whose eyes are actually blue), but maybe age took a toll on his carefree attitude, especially after seeing Kain just go off with the kid he raised to take on the legacy of the guy that killed his foster father...

And KoF MI2 was indeed a hell of a love letter to SNK fans, and unlocking stuff there was fun - except for the survival mode, which took way too long and could get frustrating.
MI Regulation A was an attempt at making the game more competition-worthy, but sadly didn't leave Japan,nor did it include all the cool outfits in MI2, which was a damn shame.

It's not too late to go for the best of both worlds, while keeping this new project separate from the main series, which I believe they'll want to keep in 2D.

GhaleonQ

Is still weird, the previous president of SNK fired all their team work after XIII, so I don't know if they still had the guys que made the transition from 3D to 2D

Screw Garou, give me Last Blade 3.

This generation has been so painful that I'd genuinely prefer ignorance at times.

Well, even if the game is 3D, I'm glad since I found better this than watching SNKP be a company that only releases pachinko and mobile games

Indeed. I find their 3-d games to be more weird than bad, so I'm okay with what they'll release. The soundtracks are always wondrous, too.

TreIII

Yeah...but look how long it took them to make KOFXIII. If we include KOFXII as being the obvious (botched) beta, we're talking around 5 or so years' worth of time between KOFXI and when they delivered the game they intended to release.

...I don't think that's the kind of model that's going to be viable for SNKP's business. They at least need something like MI around to give them more immediate profits from the console audience.

orioto

Good Art™

This, but honestly, even if i love pixel art, as it's not pure 100% pixelanimation anyway.. i'd rather like they use their models to have a crazy looking game. They can totally go for any type of art direction and render nowadays, let's face it. They can even make it look like Shinkiro digi painting or more traditional if they want! The next gen allows basically high poly render and giant textures for a versus fighter.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I always thought the SNK people have some sort of anti-aging technique since Kim still looks like Kim even in Garou.

So, we should be expecting MI3/MIRA2?

Well, it's not exactly what I wanted, but MIRA was fun so hopefully the next MI game would be even better.

...And if we're getting SamSho Sen 2 please make it better.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Yeah...but look how long it took them to make KOFXIII. If we include KOFXII as being the obvious (botched) beta, we're talking around 5 or so years' worth of time between KOFXI and when they delivered the game they intended to release.

...I don't think that's the kind of model that's going to be viable for SNKP's business. They at least need something like MI around to give them more immediate profits from the console audience.

It is a shame though, as KOF XIII was beautiful. The background art, character animations... I guess I'm just a sprite man at heart, but it was one of the best looking games last gen imho.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
:0

5 Game designers... sounds like a fighting game!

sibarraz

Banned
This generation has been so painful that I'd genuinely prefer ignorance at times.

But that was a big rumour, people lost any faith in a new kof game before the new president arrived, hell, that's why it seems that this project will start from the scratch

sibarraz

Banned
I think that SNK knows that they must keep the 2D gameplay, but like someone said, maybe they need to improve their development times

Loona

I always thought the SNK people have some sort of anti-aging technique since Kim still looks like Kim even in Garou.

Kim is one of the few constants across the SNK multiverse - he flies in stage backgrounds in Fatal Fury 2/Special, delivers items in Samurai Shodown 2, not to mention those armed characters from other timelines that suspiciously look and fight like him even if they have weapons. Aging is beheath him.

MIGNON BEART DANCE PARTY!!!!

Now let's not get hasty... there were interesting, fun and well-designed character in MI, but Mignon wasn't one of them.

If they intend to follow up on post-Garou events (MI seemed to try and merge the KoF and Garou timelines despite their discrepancies, like dead Geese and aged Sakazakis), I want to see the results of Chonrei's training under Kim and Tung in the Real Bout 2 endings:

chonrei.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Of course I want my mainline KoF to stay 2D... but SNKP needs to do things in between those expensive loveletters to underloved art styles.

I really enjoyed MI2. Fighting aganist the Slug, getting the best "Destroy the Car!" Mini-game in a fighter in a LONG time, hearing all those goofy-yet-oddly-appropriate English VA preformances, the Neo Geo Land Arcade stages with unique legacy SNK music per character... I'd be 100% happy to see a new MI, and/or MIRA HD to give them some money and attention while working on the new spritework king.

Really, I'd love to see SNK as diverse as they were back in the old Arcade days, putting out games of every genre, with their own brand of personality and flair with each one. As much as I love their fighters, I'd love to see what kind of things they'd do with other genres, such as Match 3 Puzzle games, Tower Defense, or MOBA, too!

TreIII

It is a shame though, as KOF XIII was beautiful. The background art, character animations... I guess I'm just a sprite man at heart, but it was one of the best looking games last gen imho.

I'd definitely agree. But KOFXII cost them in a number of ways. Fans were disappointed, and so were arcade retailers. It's part of the reason that SNKP had to go to Konami to help them publish the arcade version of KOFXIII, because KOFXII left such a bad taste in the mouths of arcade owners. And they've had to make baby-steps with earning back that trust ever since.

But in any case, the sooner that SNKP can (re)establish themselves with a working business model, the better, I say. SNK fighters with sold gameplay and 3D models would still be a preferable outcome to a SNK that resigns itself to the pachinko market (which the former president was prepared to do).

EDIT:

If they intend to follow up on post-Garou events (MI seemed to try and merge the KoF and Garou timelines despite their discrepancies, like dead Geese and aged Sakazakis), I want to see the results of Chonrei's training under Kim and Tung in the Real Bout 2 endings:

chonrei.gif

If I remember correctly from my days of lurking at snk-capcom.com's forums? The short answer was that MI was another continuity altogether, adding on to how the Southtown (AOF/FF/MOTW storylines) and KOF mainstream's continuities were separate from one another. MI tried to reconcile the Southtown SL with KOF's in a way that somewhat worked, so I wouldn't mind at all if they tried to do more in that light...only with less of Falcoon's originals hogging the spotlight.

I mean, the Meira Bros. and Duke were okay, but they were like the only originals of his that I really ended up liking.

arit

So, we should be expecting MI3/MIRA2?

Well, it's not exactly what I wanted, but MIRA was fun so hopefully the next MI game would be even better.

...And if we're getting SamSho Sen 2 please make it better.

All they have to do is to make a Samurai Spirits 64#3 and put everything Sen(except gore) into the "Do not do this again" folder...

Top Bottom