• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Used games... maybe why EA ditched Nintendo?

Just an idea. If the PS4 also requires a fee for used games, this could be why EA ditched Nintendo. Nintendo not playing ball with it. Emphasis on the word if.

I really hope this isn't why EA ditched the passes. If so, I just see something similar happening with PS4 which is my last hope for the big tech.

CronoShot

Since EA ditched their own online pass program, I'm almost entirely certain that the PS4 has a similar system, but it may be up to developers to use it or not.

I don't think it's the sole reason EA ditched the Wii U, but it's probably one of them.

What if the new Ignite Engine and Frostbite were not able to be tailored to such extremely weak specifications?

Makes more sense.

Effect

Just an idea. If the PS4 also requires a fee for used games, this could be why EA ditched Nintendo. Nintendo not playing ball with it. Emphasis on the word if.

We still need word on what the PS4 is doing on the used game front but Sony has been unwilling to go into more detail. If they do require a fee of some kind then I think we might have found out the real reason why EA abandoned Nintendo before the Wii U launched. Let's be honest here people. Things went south long before the Wii U released.

Darryl

Banned
i suggested it as a possibility awhile ago, but i doubt nintendo restricted that option from EA. it's possible that they wanted to ease gamers into it by removing the game from nintendo's platforms at first and then easing them into it after the other 2 consoles launch

Most 3rd parties aren't bringing their games to the Wii U, not just EA.

it's primarily EA

Knoxcore

I don't think that's a reason. A simple look at WiiU software sales will reveal why. It is utterly abysmal, even for a newly launched console.

DaBoss

Sales were definitely the reason EA jumped ship. This could just be a contributing factor, but highly unlikely.

AppleMIX

I think it is more due to lack of games. I honestly doubt Sony will do something similar to Microsoft. They can easily win this console generation by not following suit.

Effect

or because Wii U is not selling well

No. Things with EA went negative long before the Wii U launched. Bad sales are fairly recent in the grand scheme of things. They walked away long before that became an issue and it can be argued it became an issue because they walked away and made the system's outlook look bad.

massoluk

Banned
Probably not, but wouldn't surprise me now.

EA suddenly ditched Nintendo even before that thing was launched, sales wouldn't exactly explain it all.

spekkeh

Banned
What if the new Ignite Engine and Frostbite were not able to be tailored to such extremely weak specifications?

Makes more sense.

The supremely scalable Frostbite engine that will soon launch on mobile platforms?

Anyway, I think it's the number of users/buyers of the first few EA games mostly. I don't think the status quo would be that big a dealbreaker for EA, given that they could've just stuck to OnlinePasses for the Wii U.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Lets not create vengeful rhetoric just because it fits a narrative.

EA ditched Nintendo because their new games weren't selling shit, before they could even get to the concern of used games.

bndadm

Remember, because Microsoft does not have a "playschool like peripheral".

<Proceeds to watch someone talk to their console to open a web browser while watching a movie>

All honesty, it makes a lot of sense. But EA didn't really show (yet) what they are bringing specifically to Xbox One.

Mitsurux

It wouldn't surprie me one bit....

As in the past EA has done quite similar things... (look up the reason EA did not develop for dreamcast, and the "terms" EA wanted from microsoft to get their games on live)

MrT-Tar

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason. EA clearly made their decision before the WiiU even launched, so I doubt sales were the reason behind it. However, I do believe that the WiiU's poor sales have meant that there isn't an incentive for EA to restart supporting the WiiU.

Fey

Banned
If that's the case, Nintendo should be shouting it from the rooftops. And should've been for weeks now.

This is the reason I'm still very very sceptical about this. EA ditching Nintendo makes Nintendo look really bad. If they did it because of the used game stuff, why doesn't Nintendo clear that up? That would win them a lot of points.

Sony haven't commented on it.
ohh..ok we'll see soon

THey said it will play used games..... they did not say there wouldnt be a fee attached...and honestly...I dont see a problem with used game fee as long as its like $10.... its pretty shitty devs get cut out of the deal
According to microsoft to pay the fee is to have the game since it must be installed. I dont think the fee will be small.

THey said it will play used games..... they did not say there wouldnt be a fee attached...and honestly...I dont see a problem with used game fee as long as its like $10.... its pretty shitty devs get cut out of the deal

My major problem with it isn't the price (though it is still an issue). Once microsoft shuts down those servers in the future, you can never buy a used xbox one game again. Ever.

In ~10 years when the next next xbox has been out for a while, and the servers are turned off, thats it.

Darryl

Banned

yea for sure. they should get a cut every time you loan your copy out. maybe they can use their market weight to push this onto DVDs and blu-rays as well, movie creators deserve it. maybe use Kinect and PS Eye to charge an extra fee for every head in the room for movie rentals as well

Kimawolf

what? Authors don't get "cuts" of used book sales. movies studios either. So why should gaming be different? Its that kind of mentality that is why MS and others can screw gamers every chance they get.

Top Bottom