• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (No Unmarked Spoilers)

256px-BatenKaitosCover.jpg

Origin:

The entire reason I bought this game was because of this thread. I bought it almost instantly because I love games with twists. Games like Bioshock and 999 are great, but their twists make them memorable and satisfying to me. So after reading about this JRPG that I had barley heard of, I decided to try it based solely on the fact that there would be a surprising plot twist. The only problem with me getting this game based on that fact alone is that I expect a twist.

As I’ve experienced with Virtue’s Last Reward and Bioshock Infinite, when good writers build up a certain rapport, you come to expect things from them. So when you play through them, you know it’s coming, and while VLR and Infinite were great, I didn't experience that same sensation of surprise/shock as I did with the original titles. So, I know it’s coming, I don’t know what it is, but just the fact that I know that there is a left turn somewhere in this darkness dampens the experience a bit.

So after buying the game, and about a month of pure procrastination, I finally started it, having almost no idea what to expect. What I heard when before I even got to the title screen was just a precursor of things to come in terms of horrid voice acting. Here we go.

Story:

The story is pretty straightforward so far, nothing too out of the ordinary, teens/adults on a quest to save the world by stopping the resurrection of some old god of destruction. Standard affair. You got your reluctant, self-obsessed main character (similar, but not nearly as annoying as Luke from Tales of the Abyss); your possible love interest white mage girl; burly fisherman/aggro builder; smooth(?) imperial guard gunman; and tough-as-nails warrior woman. I think there's one more, but I haven't gotten him/her yet.

Again, not much out of the ordinary for a JRPG, but one thing that is a bit original is that fact that the main character has an invisible companion (You, the player) who he talks to Francis York Morgan style whenever the chance arises. You get to name your self, and since the game is voice acted, the characters address you, but pause whenever they are supposed to say your name. It kinda brings you out of the experience when a character is addressing everyone else then asks you: “What do you think ______? Are we going to go or not?”

Gameplay:

The gameplay was something I did absolutely no research on when I bought the game, so when I got it I was completely lost when I started playing. It’s a card-based battle system that is half Kindom Hearts: Chain of Memories and half Final Fantasy XIII, if I had to make a comparison. You have magic cards, attack cards, healing cards, defense cards, ect. And over the course of a battle, the cards you have in your deck are randomly given to you in “hands” and you choose which ones you want to use while subsequently gaining more from your deck.

It works great, and I enjoy the battles for the most part, it’s just that some of them tend to drag on a bit longer than necessary. The boss battles are the biggest offender, since none of the enemies have life bars, you don’t know how close they are to being defeated, so you can’t always plan accordingly. Another thing I like about the battle system is that some items will change with repeated use, making it essential to use lots of different cards to find their secondary uses.

Sound:

Now we get to both the best and worst part of this game. Let’s start with the good news, the music is top notch and really reminds me of the PS1 to PS2 Final Fantasy games, the battle theme is especially good and even though it hasn’t changed (except dusing boss encounters) it hasn’t gotten annoying.

The bad news is that the voice acting IS F*CKING ABYSMAL! It’s honestly some of the worst I’ve ever heard in a JRPG, or hell, a game in general. The only one that even comes close is Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii and I didn’t even have to suffer through that as I played through the undubbed version. Here’s a breakdown of all the main characters’ voices:

Kalas (Main Character) – Passable, but not great. “Say Cheeseburger!”

Xelha (White Mage) – Terrible, no emotion, and just plain bad lines. (During special attack) “Be Careful, I’m not that innocent! MAGIC! Sparkle of Light!”

Llyude (Gunman) – Atrociously akward. “Special Attack! Concerto (With absolutely no emotion or volume)

Gibari (Agro Builder) – Painfully mediocre. I can’t think of any terrible quotes for him, as I rarely use him.

Savanya (Tough chick) – Just shy of decent. Most of her quotes are not too bad, but apparently the mixing just sort of freaks out whenever she’s about to yell because it gets really quiet.

ALL NPCs – It’s like they didn’t even hire these people, like Namco just found random people on the street, and asked them to read the lines with absolutely no creative direction at all.

ALL NPC CHILDREN – Oh…..my…..god

Also, some of the names in the game are just plain stupid, and don’t sound like they even tried. Giacomo (pronounced jack-em-o) and Geldoblame stand out as some of the dumber ones.

So far, I’m about 16 hours into the game and I’m enjoying it. And I’ve heard that the voice acting is much better in the second game, so I’m looking forward to that as well. I’ll keep everyone up to date, and when I get to the twist, I’ll make sure to post my reactions “Neiteio-999” style.

Andrew.

Banned
The music in this game is fucking excellent. I loved the combat too even though it took a bit to get used to on top of me never having played a card battle game before. I never managed to finish it though. I got up to one particular boss (dont remember what it was, but it was towards the end) and I just couldnt beat it for whatever reason. Really been wanting to get back and try again though.

Soriku

It works great, and I enjoy the battles for the most part, it’s just that some of them tend to drag on a bit longer than necessary.

Another reason I greatly prefer Origins, faster battles.

Also the three person party in Origins works better for character development too. You only get Sagi, Guillo, and Milly, not 6+ members like other RPGs, and they're better than the cast in this game.

The music in both Baten Kaitos games is Sakuraba's best work, bar none.

Anyway, keep going :)

Lunar15

Crazy that you posted this today, I also decided to to play this game for this first time this week.

I dunno, I'm not really liking any aspect of this game. I'm not a fan of the card battling, and I've even tried to read guides about how to set up a good deck. Like you said, battles just seem unnecessarily long. Also, whoever thought it was a great idea to make you go back to the church to actually level up was really really stupid. Especially considering they don't put church waypoints in dungeons. It completely defeats the point of dungeons/bosses in an RPG, where you generally utilize the experience you gained in a dungeon to beat the boss. It's a horrible decision.

I'm on disk two, and so far the story is pretty mediocre and standard. None of the characters are very interesting, and Kalas talking to you feels really dumb and pointless. I, in general, like Sakuraba's music, but the music in BK, other than the battle themes, is really bland and uninteresting.

I dunno, so far this seems like a really pointless game. I'm playing it because a friend desperately begged me to play it though, so I'm always willing to give things a shot through to the end.

Another reason I greatly prefer Origins, faster battles.

Also the three person party in Origins works better for character development too. You only get Sagi, Guillo, and Milly, not 6+ members like other RPGs, and they're better than the cast in this game.

The music in both Baten Kaitos games is Sakuraba's best work, bar none.

Anyway, keep going :)

Having only 3 characters to worry about would be great. Being able to focus on just three people is much easier than having to ration out healing items and decent defense cards to 5-6 people.

If Origins is that much of an improvement, I'm going to be extremely happy.

Andrew.

Banned
This is the only game Ive ever experienced where I immediately shut off the voiced dialogue. It was atrocious and the game is much better without it.

aravuus

Origins had a good story and a plot twist too, right? I tried eternal wings, couldn't get into it and being the fucking dumbass I am, I read the twist online so I have practically no motivation to even try to get into it anymore. I know nothing about Origins though.

e: unless ew's story has some other interesting stuff in it too. disliked the combat system.

This is the only game Ive ever experienced where I immediately shut off the voiced dialogue. It was atrocious and the game is much better without it.

I though about doing that, but I find that without voice acting, my mind tends to wander during longer cutscenes, so I may not get fully invested in the story if I'm just reading the dialog. Though I'm only like that with RPGs, some VNs I play don't have voice acting but I still get emotionally invested in the games. I wonder why that is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There was a trick to make the voices not sound so echoy but I don't remember what it was, I think changing sound to stereo or something if it's not. Doesn't help the bad voice acting but it made it more bearable for me.

I love the game itself, very unique battle system that can feel great when you fully wrap your head around it. Origins changes it a lot but I love them both.

There was a trick to make the voices not sound so echoy but I don't remember what it was, I think changing sound to stereo or something if it's not. Doesn't help the bad voice acting but it made it more bearable for me.

I love the game itself, very unique battle system that can feel great when you fully wrap your head around it. Origins changes it a lot but I love them both.

Yeah, you have to change the sound to surround. I just happened to luck up and change it by accident while looking for a Japanese audio option xD

You're gonna love Origin. At first I didn't like the battle system compared to the original, but after going back and playing the original, that fast paced draw/cross/combo system started to look like perfection.

Just made it to the second disc. That was a really weird place to end the disc. I expected some cliff hanger type revelation, but no, it was just, "You beat that boss? Alright, go to the next disc."

Hoping the story picks up soon.

Chake

Banned
How long is this game? I am on a long break (6 days) and wanted to finish a game from my backlog. It's either this or OoT 3D, and since zelda is so damn long....etc.

How long is this game? I am on a long break (6 days) and wanted to finish a game from my backlog. It's either this or OoT 3D, and since zelda is so damn long....etc.

I found it to be incredibly long. 45 hours iirc. Certainly much more than OoT.

Just made it to the second disc. That was a really weird place to end the disc. I expected some cliff hanger type revelation, but no, it was just, "You beat that boss? Alright, go to the next disc."

Hoping the story picks up soon.

Story has some awesome moments coming up. Very memorable stuff.

If I'm at the half way mark and I've been playing for about 17 1/2 hours, I'd put it at about 35 hrs. Maybe.

Roto13

One of the few things I remember about this game (aside from, you know,
that
) is Xelha's voice sounding like she expects everything she says to just blow your mind.

Disc 2 is longer, so maybe 40-45 hours for you? I took 60 hours but I did all the character quests too.
Really? Jeez, was kinda hoping it was like MGS on PS1 and be extremely short.

I mean I like it and all, but the slow paced battle system really starts to get old after about hour 15. But hopefully this twist is worth it.

explodet

This was one of my favorite Gamecube RPGs, I loved the battle system so much that I grit my teeth through the horrible, horrible voice acting knowing some awesome battle music would eventually be coming. Whoever was the voice director should have been drug out into the street and shot.

I actually enjoy the battle system as it was a departure from the Fight/Magic/Item battle menus in most RPGs at the time.

Cactus

Banned
Voice acting aside, I really enjoyed both BK games. The pre-rendered backgrounds are so beautiful and the music is awesome. The card system is unique as well.

The voice acting always puzzled me, as the initial english reveal trailer had way better voices.

OP, once you finish this game, move on to the prequel. It is a better game but a lot of its impact is lost without playing this one.

aravuus

Okay, I take back what I said. Read that Origins is a lot better if you play EW first so I restarted it, and maybe I didn't get some of the aspects of the battle system last time or something, but I'm enjoying it a lot more. I love collecting stuff in games, and there's over a thousand cards, with a log, descriptions and all? Hell yes, this is going to be awesome (painful).

I'm afraid I'll end up like OP though

I mean I like it and all, but the slow paced battle system really starts to get old after about hour 15. But hopefully this twist is worth it.

The battles are too long even when I kill all enemies in one or two combos so I'm kinda afraid what it'll be like later in the game.

Alrus

I absolutely need to get this game back. I lent it to someone years ago because I lost interest and now I feel the urge to play it at least once or twice a year :(

I honestly didn't think the voices could get worse. After hearing Mizuti, I learned that I was wrong. Jeez. I think I'm going to go voiceless for the next hour or so and see if that makes any difference.

I've actually been attempting to play this over the last year. I keep getting to the second town, putting it off for a while, then having to start all over because I forgot how to do anything.

But I have the Operation Rainfall trilogy, and I have promised myself I will not start on those until I have finished the Baten Kaitos games. And I can't break a promise to myself. That'd just be rude.

Hyunkel6

Probably my best rpg on the GC after Symphonia. Incredible soundtrack and addictive gameplay.

Origins may be better, but I thought the idea to restrict your party to only 3 members was lame.

explodet

I honestly didn't think the voices could get worse. After hearing Mizuti, I learned that I was wrong. Jeez. I think I'm going to go voiceless for the next hour or so and see if that makes any difference.
hahaha

Mizuti's voice is... unique, for sure. The high-pitched distortion was actually kind of a nice change of pace for me after the high school radio show that was the rest of the cast (especially Lyude). Unfortunately instead of bad acting, it meant I couldn't understand a third of what the hell Mizuti was saying.

But as much as I dislike the voices (and goodness me do I dislike them) for some reason it didn't seem the same game with them switched off. Kind of strange, but I felt this game needed to be accepted warts and all. I really enjoyed it that much.

But that's just me. If it makes you enjoy the game better BY ALL MEANS mute those yahoos.

EulaCapra

I prefer Eternal Wings than Origins. A lot of people enjoy the faster and revamped card battle system... I did not. It was supposed to be easier but not for me. Also the endgame if Origins was just so... Meh. Didn't feel epic. Also couldn't understand why they changed up elementals.

Top Bottom