• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you sell your Xbox Live account?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, was just thinking of selling my Xbox 360 but at the same time the games I've accumulated through the years are inaccessible once I do. So yeah, I know it's technically a license, but I've heard of people selling such things as their WoW accounts and what not, just wasn't sure if it was even legal really.

malfcn

Technically it is against the TOS. But if you do make sure all forms of payment and personal info is removed from the console and marketplace and account settings.

epmode

It is almost certainly against the ToS and Microsoft might ban your account if they somehow find out. So basically it's the same as selling Steam/WoW/whatever accounts.

Technically it is against the TOS. But if you do make sure all forms of payment and personal info is removed from the console and marketplace and account settings.

Yeah, there's nothing financial tied to the account, figured someone might be wanting some games on the cheap while I don't feel like I sinked money.

Just don't tell M$ or otherwise you will get 9999 year ban on your account.

Sigh.

On topic, It's a bit of a grey area though due to the ToS but in my opinion, you own the content so it's yours to sell.

Make sure you remove all payment details as well as your address, date of birth, etc before selling.

Sigh.

On topic, It's a bit of a grey area though due to the ToS but in my opinion, you own the content so it's yours to sell.

Make sure you remove all payment details as well as your address, date of birth, etc before selling.

Well its true, Go tell steam support that you want to sell your account and see what happens...

Sigh.

There is no gray area. Selling Xbox Live accounts is strictly against ToS. Don't do it publicly or the account will be banned through December 31, 9999. I remember someone paid a shit ton of cash for the account with the highest achievement points back in 2007 or 2008 (StripClubDJ I think it was called). MS banned the account immediately.

If it ever got to that point for me, my account would be worth almost a thousand bucks. Maybe more depending on the reasons someone would want to buy it or who I'm selling it to.

I don't even understand why someone would want to buy another one's xbox account. For access to the games they've bought? Is that really the only reason? Or for gamerscore?

AlexMogil

Until I stopped taking random messages I would get:

hey i love youir account i will give you 1600ms points 4 it

WEEKLY.

ciridesu

It's against MS' TOS and therefore prohibited. But, depending on where you live, your consumer protection laws may allow you to do so (Think this should be eligible within EU assuming you provide them with the documents in question).

Fox Mulder

I don't even understand why someone would want to buy another one's xbox account. For access to the games they've bought? Is that really the only reason? Or for gamerscore?

I own like 100 xbla games and lots of dlc for rockband and plenty of other games. It would have some value if there was a real market for it.

Afrikan

It is almost certainly against the ToS and Microsoft might ban your account if they somehow find out. So basically it's the same as selling Steam/WoW/whatever accounts.

I swear someone sold their account for alot of money years ago. He had alot of gamer points or something.

Given the lack of BC next gen, I only wish it was possible to legally sell my account. I've amassed well over 100x XBLA and GoD games, none of which I'll be playing after this year.

I don't see how ms could figure it out if you didn't advertise the gamertag. It would be pretty easy to just list full games, and dlc associated with the account to provide worth.

whitehawk

Banned
There aren't right now, but there should be consumer protection laws that should let you sell your account without issue. It would be the simplest way to solve the issue of re-selling digital content.

Top Bottom