• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Forza 5 runs at 60 fps, Xbox One has no fps/resolution requirements

''resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty."

Forza Motorsport 5 will run at 60 frames per second, Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer has told Edge magazine.

Confirmation of the smooth frame rate will come as a great relief to series fans who have been left wondering since the game's announcement last month.

Official word came as the Microsoft Studios chief revealed there will be no minimum performance requirements (such as resolution or frame rate) set for games released on Xbox One.

"There were games that shipped on 360 that were less than 720p," said Spencer. "It's important we give creators the best tools to create the best experience possible and I don't think that platform holders can dictate what the internal frame buffer size should be.

"Forza 5 runs at 60 frames per second, but other people will make different trade-offs. I think it's important - maybe because I'm a studio guy - that you give freedom to the creator because today, through lighting techniques and post effects, resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty."

Spencer concluded: "Some of the most beautiful games of this generation are not dictated by how many pixels they're pushing to the screen. Motion blur, antialiasing, lighting: all of these things come into play. We just give developers the tools and let them make the right creative decisions."

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/f..._60_frames_per_second_confirms_microsoft.html

Interfectum

"Forza 5 runs at 60 frames per second, but other people will make different trade-offs. I think it's important - maybe because I'm a studio guy - that you give freedom to the creator because today, through lighting techniques and post effects, resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty."

lol

720p

Valnen

resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty
Nothing is truly beautiful if you're running a game below your display's native resolution. What you get is a blurry jagged mess at 720p. Microsoft is truly incompetent if their games are not going to be 1080p.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thought this was already confirmed?

I love Forza but MS underpowering the Xbox One has me worried.

it's all about dat 60 FPS!!! it's not about the # of pixels... it's about the post processing added that make things beautiful.... sounds like a lot of sub 1080p to me. i'm going to guess 720p @ 60hz.

Wizman23

Banned
Thought this was already confirmed?

I love Forza but MS underpowering the Xbox One has me worried.

Even if the Xbox One is downgraded as rumored it still will be a next gen machine that blows away the specs on the 360. This is not a Wii, Wii-U situation at all or even close to it.

VanWinkle

So you can infer from what he said that it won't be 1080p. Disappointing, but I don't think it will be a deal-breaker by any means for people.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Listen up Sony and Microsoft I'm not buying NextGen consoles if games aren't in native 1080p.......no if's an's or but's about it.

c0de

Nothing is truly beautiful if you're running a game below your display's native resolution. What you get is a blurry jagged mess at 720p. Microsoft is truly incompetent if their games are not going to be 1080p.

you will also have jaggies if a game runs at 1080p on a full-hd-monitor...
Decent AA with 720p can be way superior to native 1080p without AA.

Valnen

Listen up Sony and Microsoft I'm not buying NextGen consoles if games aren't in native 1080p.......no if's an's or but's about it.

Killzone and Infamous direct feed screenshots have been native 1080p. If an open world game can be native 1080p I don't see why drive club can't be.

jaypah

Whatevz. I don't expect Sony to mandate 1080p either. I expect Sony to shoot for it more but that's as far as I'll go.

m23

Wait so not even 720p is a minimum requirement? The fuck!

That was a requirement for all 360 games for the first few years of the console, then MS took that requirement away. It's not really news.

Although 60fps was expected, its nice to hear.

Top Bottom