• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct developers clarify that only the demo for the game is F2P

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mentioned at 1:22:15 during the Mad Catz stream today.

tl;dr: It seems like you can either buy the game in full like you would any other game, or opt to download a free to play version of the game where you can buy what you want from the full game in parts. This is going off of what developers mentioned on streams.

Developer said:
- All versions of the game are digital-only
- Only the demo is F2P, which was reported as only including Jago (presumably you can buy additional characters to add to this, F2P style, so it's not really a demo but that's the word the developer used)
- There will be regular SKUs with all the content
- Mentioned a collectors edition (which again, would be digital)

If/when archives go up I can add a timestamp.

EDIT: They also said Glacius will be playable at EVO and they will be announcing the next character at EVO.

EDIT2: Miles Quaritch offers some more information:
Sounded like the F2P 'demo' will include the entire single player and access to multiplayer. Also sounded like you could trial characters before purchase (gamespot stream).

Sounded like the F2P 'demo' will include the entire single player and access to multiplayer. Also sounded like you could trial characters before purchase (gamespot stream).

Future

So this is good right. Full game can be bought or you can download characters individually in the FtoP version. Add a league of legends style free rotation to the F2P version and I can see this working well

Basically, its a good idea..

Download the F2P mode with 1 player you own..

If you dig it, you can unlock the whole game.... Its just like a demo but its the whole game instead... basically, I think you can win the game with just that one person.

Satchel

Banned
I was already cool with the F2P model that was in place, but this sounds even better.

Jago was always my main, so I may only by Glacier anyway. He was my second.

Heads up tho, Double Helix are on developer duties.

Not to dampen anyone's hype, but their last few games have been terrible. Their SH; Homecoming for example, still leave me pretty bitter.

nampad

Ok, this sounds much better with a real SKU.

Demo free to play? Thanks Microsoft for allowing us to play demos for free!

Probably XBL Gold exclusive :p

Not to dampen anyone's hype, but their last few games have been terrible. Their SH; Homecoming for example, still leave me pretty bitter.

It's not like Microsoft owns Rare...wait.
Andy McWherthor just mentioned it rightly on the GT Bonus round. If MS had announced a KI from Rare, the hype would be much bigger.

Alpha_eX

Watched the Twitch stream and can't believe Double Helix have produced something that makes me just want to snatch a pad and play, looks great.

Every impression from everyone in the fighting game community says the game is great. Guess it's their breakout game!

Either way this pricing model I could get used to--this is perfect. I always appreciate options.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't mean to bump this but I edited OP with the timestamp where they address the "F2P misconceptions."

.Anema

This game sucks in so many ways. Digital only, "Freemium" to play, ugly art...
Go fuck yourself Microsoft, Double Helix and Xbone, please.

Good news. The F2P method they had did not sound good.

I was pretty worried about this game, but now that I know Filthierich and a new team are working on it I feel a lot more comfortable.

Do digital titles require the console to check in once every 24 hours? If so, how will that even work at Evo? Does the Shoryuken community even want this game?

Walshicus

Demo free to play? Thanks Microsoft for allowing us to play demos for free!

I think it's pretty clear that the implication is that the demo is no longer walled off from the main game. In the past you would play the demo but not be able to join matches with people who own the retail game. Now it looks like you can.

All things being equal, this is a good approach and one more games should take.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Seems like the game is in good hands with the knowledgable peeps they have on board. This is probably now my most wanted launch game.

Steroyd

Someone at Microsoft needs to learn how to communicate because the system sounded completely wrong before for a game we hadn't seen for many years.

Do digital titles require the console to check in once every 24 hours? If so, how will that even work at Evo? Does the Shoryuken community even want this game?

It'd be really stupid if it did because that's the version of every game MS should be wanting you to buy because it will be locked to your account.

harSon

Banned

Apparently a new team was created consisting of people who worked on Skullgirls, Super Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Weaponlord. Plus the fact that the game actually has pretty decent impressions thus far.

And how in the hell can people twist this form of F2P into a negative? A full fledged game, minus the characters, that you're able purchase the rest of if you actually enjoy the game? That's an awesome system.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Why would you ever use "free to play" to describe your demo...

The 'demo' has a lot more than a demo and probably has microtransactions for specific character unlocks vs. an outright game purchase with everything. Which helps out people who only want to play a specific character anyway.

Top Bottom