• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitmonkey

Came from Jonathon Liedtke - rest of the story here.

"BREAKING: @Xbox media relations confirms to me via email that #kinect sensor IS NOT required for #XboxOne. #privacy #drm #prism #microsoft"

".@Xbox confirms NO #XboxOne price drop due to NO kinect requirement. #XboxOne is "competitively priced" & xbox is "confident with the value."

1371842354_8474_3.jpg

for the other emails see here.

Edit #1: From Jonathon Liedtke

8yqxSTY.jpg

ari

Banned
Where's cboat? Why do he never leak this type of shit....like, ever? He just pile on negative news time and again.

I think Kinectless model is a smart move if they can match 399 with it but it really speaks that MS had no idea what to do with their vision for the console.

ultron87

I really think they would've done this on the same day as dropping the DRM stuff if they were going to do it. But hey, lets see where this goes.

Magnus

MS: "Let's do all this awful shit that no one wants and charge them more for all of it. They'll love it."

The World: "No one wants it."

MS: "Let's remove all of it."

I honestly didn't think this degree of reversal would happen, but it has.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ari, I think you're trying too hard with the cboat stuff. Stop being so bitter.

Anyway, this is great news if true. If they released a non-Kinect version that's $100 cheaper, I'd probably pre-order one.

derfybzh

They will drop price PS4 level or drop kinect whatever to reach ps4 price, I prefer a price drop and still having kinect bundled

Eusis

I think they're also still shipping with the system (assuming this is why there's no pricecut) because they have to burn through the systems with old firmware first before they can push a Kinect-less version.

Then again it's not as if you NEED the GamePad charged to use the Wii U, so it may just be removing that arbitrary thing but ready to go "plug it in!" for any game that uses it.

netBuff

This and a price drop and MS have won

Why? It would still be the weaker, less flexible box with potentially less first-party and indie backing. It would only highlight the Xbones relative flaws compared to the PS4.

This is also talking about removing the Kinect requirement while still maintaining a higher price-point.

HeelPower

They should. No reason to add such a ridiculous requirement. Electricity and one time internet connection is enough to make the console work.

statham

I kinda thought that in the Jimmy Fallon COD video, the COD guy said," if we had the kinect you could do that". (making your dog bark). But Jimmy was playing the game without Kinect connected.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think Kinectless model is a smart move if they can match 399 with it but it really speaks that MS had no idea what to do with their vision for the console.

Oh, they had a vision all right. It was just rejected (mostly) whole sale by the people traditionally interested in the Xbox.

Raide

I would rather buy one with Kinect but I can see how this would be a big point for some buyers. Personally doing that would just split the userbase and give developers even less reason to do something good with Kinect.

trmas

Banned
MS has zero direction... they seem to be like - what did Sony do? We might need to do that as well. If they drop the Kinect requirement, but don't change price?

That would be a very MS corporate thing to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom