• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room out tonight on iOS

heringer

It's a spin-off of the Prof. Layton series. Apparently it plays more like Phoenix Wright. Mock if old.

mzl.gavgngvu.320x480-75.jpg

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/layton-brothers-mystery-room/id640517092

dream

This is actually really good. Very Phoenix Wrightish in nature. Fun investigations, interesting characters, and it's only 5 bucks.

I liked it a lot! Veery Ace Attorney-like. I just finished the first file and the culprit was somewhat obvious, but it has just 1 star in difficulty. I already bought the whole game, haha.

Aaron

Will not buy until they fix the awful translation. Shouldn't use google translate in a commercial product.

Lijik

the 70s cop show music makes this
EDIT- So does the arrow-attack when you interrogate people. One set for the Mr. T lookalike said "B-A-Around"

This is quite fun. Reminds me of ace attorney investigations but with a different spin. First intro case took me a good 30ish mins, and i'm guessing the other ones might be longer, so 9 cases for $5. Not shabby.

Just beat the first two cases (they're free), it's pretty good! I got stuck once in each of the cases though, because the clues needed to solve them at those points was a bit bullshitty in my opinion. For case 1
I didn't notice that the order of the sandwich contents were meant to refer to the alleged killer's name,
and for case 2
I think it's rather unfair that they don't allow you to examine the clock in more detail as soon as it's available to you.
I like the arrows during the "cross-examinations", it gives the game a bit more of a playful vibe, and the music's great and the art's got a very clean style to it. I can't stand the "accent" they gave Lucy though. I think it'll be a good way to kill time until Ace Attorney 5.

This game is basically Ace Attorney Investigations with a very loose root in the Layton universe. It's actually pretty great, though.

Just beat the first two cases (they're free), it's pretty good! I got stuck once in each of the cases though, because the clues needed to solve them at those points was a bit bullshitty in my opinion. For case 1
I didn't notice that the order of the sandwich contents were meant to refer to the alleged killer's name,
and for case 2
I think it's rather unfair that they don't allow you to examine the clock in more detail as soon as it's available to you.
I like the arrows during the "cross-examinations", it gives the game a bit more of a playful vibe, and the music's great and the art's got a very clean style to it. I can't stand the "accent" they gave Lucy though. I think it'll be a good way to kill time until Ace Attorney 5.

It does seem to have all the good and bad of AA games lol. I don't feel like the game scores you or penalize you over anything though. hmmmm...

You know, this game really does remind me of Detective Conan (Cased Closed) in structure. Odd more games aren't like that.

LA Noire was the closest thing to it, but that played it serious and the crimes weren't crazy nonsense (and the interrogation system still makes zero sense after i beaten the game).

Honestly I hope this series ends up on 3ds as well so more people can play it.

Oh android too lol.

I love murder mysteries over just brain teaser puzzles in your typical Layton games.

Who made this anyways?

Watching the gameplay video, the music is good, the translation is horrible. "I were miles away"? "The rain sheeted down?" Really?

dvolovets

Watching the gameplay video, the music is good, the translation is horrible. "I were miles away"? "The rain sheeted down?" Really?
I think the female character is meant to have some sort of accent. She never says "I was" or "he was", it's always "were" instead of "was"... so I don't think it can be attributed to poor translation, because none of the other characters talk like that.

Lijik

Senator Soufflé;66670996 said:
Does it mention anything regarding the Layton lore? Like who their mum is etc?
So far its just Lucy insists on calling Alfrendi "Prof" and Alfrendi says his father, an actual professor, wouldnt approve.
They might actually delve into it when you meet his brother though. Im not sure i only have the free cases and havent done case 2 yet.

?

This and phoenix wright one are like the only spinoffs. They do make sequels. Puzzle game series with more games with more puzzles. Where is this anger coming from?

It's not just the spinoffs. There's been at least one Layton game every year since the start, with two in more recent years. It's been utterly driven into the ground, and no one's buying it any more.

Then, on top of that, they slap the Layton brand on unrelated iOS games which have absolutely nothing to add beyond dilution. How to destroy a breakout brand 101.

It's not just the spinoffs. There's been at least one Layton game every year since the start, with two in more recent years. It's been utterly driven into the ground, and no one's buying it any more.

Then, on top of that, they slap the Layton brand on unrelated iOS games which have absolutely nothing to add beyond dilution. How to destroy a breakout brand 101.

No one's buying it anymore? The 3DS game did quite well.

I think you need to step back and calm down, man. They're releasing a puzzle game once a year. Nothing to freak out about.

Kikujiro

Then, on top of that, they slap the Layton brand on unrelated iOS games which have absolutely nothing to add beyond dilution. How to destroy a breakou

This anger doesn't make any sense. The series still sell great and it's about a simple story + puzzles, everyday millions of puzzles are made, you don't dilute puzzles. Not only that, but this spin off is different from the main game since it plays like AA Investigations.

t26

Finished the first 2 cases, love it far. If you like Ace Attorney Investigations you will probably enjoy it.

Top Bottom