• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto "Wii U development requires twice the amount of human resources than before"

Shigeru Miyamoto said during a recent investor Q&A that the switch to Wii U development – HD visuals and all – “requires about twice the human resources than before.” Nintendo “may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result”, which caused games to remain in development longer than expected. Miyamoto now feels that Nintendo is just about past some of these initial difficulties, however.

"When it comes to the scale of software development, Wii U with HD graphics requires about twice the human resources than before. Please allow me to explain that we may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result, the overall software development took more time than originally anticipated just as we tried to polish the software at the completion phase of development. However, we are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called “Nintendo Web Framework.” "

http://nintendoeverything.com/12760...ce-the-amount-of-human-resources-than-before/

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

JDSN

Banned
No shit Sherlock, we just assumed that the reason Wii got no games in its last two years was Nintendo preparing for the transition.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Twice the amount?

2 Wii's duck taped together confirmed!.

But they are seriously behind in HD dev.

BowieZ

Banned
Well they basically have until Holiday this year to catch up. We'll see if Super Mario 3D World truly "re-launches" their line-up of games or if it's just going to be a year of Mario Kart 8 and maybe Smash Bros.

They just operate in such a bubble that it's frustrating for us outside of it. How did they not anticipate this well in advance? It's like they don't even pay attention to things going on outside the bubble.

Welcome to last gen Nintendio, aka 2006.

By far one of the biggest hurdles for Nintendio and the Wii U is they have not gone trough the same trails and tribulations that Sony/MS did with the HD consoles. There playing years of catch up right, and its gotta be a big wake up call for them.

This is what GAF, Sony, Microsoft, most gaming journalists, industry speculators (Pachter, etc.), 3rd party developers and publishers, and anyone that has any insight into the industry has been saying since ~2006-2008, when suddenly every studio on Earth that was developing at HD resolutions realized it takes a bit more time/effort/money/etc to produce modern games.

Was Nintendo figuratively a damn ostrich with its head in the sand from 2006-2012?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Next month they're going to discover Agile development. Welcome to the 1990s Nintendo.

Yawnier

Banned
Welcome to 2006, Nintendo.

Yep, pretty much. When everyone else moved to HD development around in the mid 00s, Nintendo decided to stay behind and now they are reaping the consequences in the present because of not moving to it earlier when everybody else was.

Pein

Banned
you would have thought they had known that HD development was more difficult since devs have been saying that since last gen.

Boss Man

Good thing you made a bucket load of money sitting this effect out last gen so you could hire more developers, and left everyone on Wii out to dry for the last few years while you were getting a head start on Wii U projects.

Right?

Madouu

This is what they have been repeating for a few months now, I'm surprised it's still making the headlines.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"just about past some of these initial difficulties"

The best General Manager a software developer could hope for.

How you stay clueless on something for 6-7 years is a testament to just how out of touch and in their own world Nintendo execs are.

:lol at all the comments saying welcome to 2006. Nintendo have been hiring a fuck ton of people leading up to Wii U development, and built a huge new R&D centre. I think they realised this beforehand, Miyamoto's just highlighting how they're not used to it and took time to adapt.

JaxJag

Banned
Miyamoto said:
“requires about twice the human resources than before.” Nintendo “may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result”, which caused games to remain in development longer than expected.

The statement just exemplifies how little Nintendo pays attention/cares to rest of the industry.

They just turn a blind eye to everyone in the industry and what's going on, and now everyone is doing it to Nintendo.

Karma I think it's called.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
no shit

how long are we going to have to hear these excuses from nintendo

Is this even an excuse? Sounds to me like he's saying "Yeah, we fucked up, but we're as good as through now
And fucked up they did, yikes.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Only twice as much? I thought the difference was bigger.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yep, pretty much. When everyone else moved to HD development around in the mid 00s, Nintendo decided to stay behind and now they are reaping the consequences in the present because of not moving to it earlier when everybody else was.

I suspect it's worse than that. They probably aren't open to using 3rd party toolchains, so they are literally reinventing the wheel in software. I think this is why western developers flourished with Xbox 360...they knew how to develop code from PC development experience.

Sony completely learned their lesson here. They went with PC hardware, standard architecture. Should be crazy straightforward to develop for.

Crawl

The statement just exemplifies how little Nintendo pays attention/cares to rest of the industry.

They just turn a blind eye to all everyone in the industry and what's going on, and now everyone is doing it to Nintendo.

Karma I think it's called.

Damn...

lupinko

It explains why their Wii U games are just HD upgraded 3DS games.

Not that I'm complaining, since the games are fantastic gameplay wise anyway.

The HD era has to represent the single most difficult technological transition Nintendo has had to make since entering the video game industry.

Yes, but it isn't like they had years to sit back and watch other development studios adjust to HD game production. During this time they should have been taking those absurd Wii/DS profits and investing them in increasing studio headcount, developing new content pipelines and workflows, and figuring out how to actually make HD games in a timely fashion.

But they didn't, and now they have a system that is selling so poorly that retailers are returning them. How on Earth has their senior management not been fired?

wsippel

Banned
Oh my fucking god. Reminds me of ff13s "hd cities are hard" welcome to 06 Nintendo.
YnmJCA3.jpg

At least Nintendo uses the excuse to explain delays, not cut features.

bomblord

Banned
All he is doing is stating a simple fact about HD development in response to being asked about it. It has nothing to do with being behind the times. They took the necessary steps leading up this including hiring new dev's and hosting workshops to help their employees better understand the new development process and workflow well before the system was launched.

Z3M0G

Many Japanese developers crashed and burned while trying to survive in the HD era...

Who would have thought that Nintendo could be one of them.

Top Bottom