• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "Some developers have become pessimistic about Wii U"

This is quite the understatement...
"There were so many games released by third party publishers for Wii U during the launch period, but most of them were converted from other platforms and therefore could not enjoy brisk sales," explained Iwata.

"As a result, some software developers have become pessimistic about Wii U. However, the time will come when some third-party games for Wii U and for other platforms are released at the same time this year.
It is important to have given much momentum to Wii U around that period.

"If the number of consumers who prefer the Wii U version’s unique entertainment value, such as the ability to play games only with the Wii U GamePad (while the rest of the family is watching TV), increases to a certain extent where third-party publishers notice unexpected hit Wii U titles from other publishers and realize this system’s business potential, its momentum will be improved.

"Even if these publishers did not have any concrete plans to develop Wii U software, they will swiftly change their minds when they see the successful examples from others. By giving sales momentum to Wii U through our first-party software in the short run and seeing success from third-party software within this year, we would like to dramatically change the situation of Wii U next year and beyond."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/199667...opers_have_become_pessimistic_says_iwata.html

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This quote has been posted like 4 times now I believe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't 'some' generally not used for most? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say 'some developers are optimistic about WiiU'?

Coolwhip

Banned
It's like Iwata is baiting the trolls.

Nintendo would have had a much better story if Wii 2 was still about motions controls.

Do people want the unique gameplay experience of the Gamepad? Nope. There barely is a unique experience with it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I remember on Gametrailers there was an interview with a guy from Naughty Dog who said he wanted Nintendo to go third-party (i.e. scrap the Wii U and just make awesome Nintendo games for Sony/MS/Steam)

I wonder if that sentiment is prevalent among other devs.

Nintendo would have had a much better story if Wii 2 was still about motions controls.

Do people want the unique gameplay experience of the Gamepad? Nope. There barely is a unique experience with it.

I'm not convinced the market for motion controlled games still exists like it did from 2006-2011

Coolwhip

Banned
It did happen with Wii, just not with the games people like us wanted.

Indeed. The Wii made Ubisoft rich for example. You just had to make games catered to the Wii audience. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not convinced the market for motion controlled games still exists like it did from 2006-2011

Me neither, since Nintendo didn't treat that market very well. By letting support for Wii die for example. But I still think that direction would have been better than the Wii U direction. With a Wii 2 they could at least have built on the succes of the Wii, instead of erasing it and starting over with a new controller.

Heyt

Banned
It's not only developers, Iwata-san. I am quite pessimistic about it myself and most of the people I talk with that know about it don't think it has a bright future or any at all...

This is big trouble for Nintendo. I don't think the boat should sink with the captain on board. If they don't achieve a major comeback this holyday the should go portable only and can their WiiU games until they see tha chance of releasing a new console that thirds would want to support, and then release them on that.

NotLiquid

Do people still want motion controls?

I remember on Gametrailers there was an interview with a guy from Naughty Dog who said he wanted Nintendo to go third-party (i.e. scrap the Wii U and just make awesome Nintendo games for Sony/MS/Steam)

That was Jason Rubin, and he hasn't worked at Naughty Dog since 2004.

So which third party games is Iwata hoping will set the example of good sales on Wii U?

Because all I see are bombs across the board.

casmith07

Same song and dance for Nintendo.

Inferior hardware begets inferior sales and projects begets a lack of third party support.

GamerSoul

Iwata I feel for ya, but it looks like the games with the best chance of real success on the WiiU our your own creations and third parties can't easily compete with those. :/ I would try to stay optimistic if I was him too.

OmahaG8

What are you talking about? There are great and unique experiences with it. Like uh...

And then at E3 they showed...

Cherry-picked quotes from shareholder QA transcripts get multiple threads and a multitude of posts for the exact same question/quote, but threads pointing to the entire QA transcript in full gets lost in purgatory about half an hour after it gets made.

What gives?

Coolwhip

Banned
Do people still want motion controls?

100 million people wanted it, it's impossible for all of them to not care about it anymore I think. But it's all guesswork by me. I just think with the motion controls Nintendo could have positioned Wii 2 as the casual,cheaper and kidfriendly alternative to PS4/Xbone.

Nintendo screwed up their long term plan with the Wii, big time. They seem to lack vision.

Brera

Banned
So Iwata is blaming everyone else?

It was their strategy to cultivate the hardcore by getting late ports of hardcore games like mass effect 3 and batman and trying to pass them off as new games with not the same content.

Please understand Iwata, you suck!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Well, that just shows that there are silly people working at even the most talented of development house.

As for Wii U? I'm growing pessimistic about it too. Nintendo as a whole? Not really. My 3DS is doing quite nicely.

Maybe if Nintendo had delivered a follow-up earlier (around 2009-11), they could have kept the momentum going. But they sort of let it peter out.

I would argue that Nintendo never really embraced motion controls throughout the whole Wii lifetime.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good lord, someone fire this clown. At this point, a magic 8 ball could do better than Iwata.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

I feel bad for nintendo, it must suck to have to constantly fight off and defend all this negative news. Truth is, things aren't looking good for the Wii U and Nintendo doesn't seem capable to turn it around. They are relying on the tides changing so momentum can build up but they aren't doing anything to change the tides.

Oppo

"If the number of consumers who prefer the Wii U version’s unique entertainment value, such as the ability to play games only with the Wii U GamePad (while the rest of the family is watching TV)

iQjiywQ.jpg

Isn't 'some' generally not used for most? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say 'some developers are optimistic about WiiU'?

There aren't just 2 possible ways developers can feel about the WiiU. Even if it's true that only some developers have become pessimistic about the WiiU, it's pretty clear the rest don't give a shit about it and only very, very few are optimistic about it.

Tookay

I would argue that Nintendo never really embraced motion controls throughout the whole Wii lifetime.

I think there's an argument to be made there.

They mostly kept it away from their existing franchises (aside from a couple tacked-on instances) and outside of a few token "Wii ___" IPs, sort of left it to other third-party developers to figure out and capitalize on.

The problem was, there weren't too many third parties who stuck around to try it out.

Cbajd5

Isn't this a story about the quote covered in this thread?

Except this story only focuses on the certain stuff instead of the full answer?

also families are jerks watchin' tv all day and stuff

Paskil

I'd be interested to see total number of WiiU games returned (especially at launch) or not played due to the people purchasing them believing they worked on the Wii console they already owned.

Obviously, not going to happen since this is not tracked/trackable data.

Top Bottom