• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4......

A lot of us have been very excited about what we've seen from the PS4 so far. The most powerful next gen console by a good margin, a price $100 lower than the XB1, and no camera required to use the console.

However, when considering which console I buy this fall, I wanted to look at the big picture for a moment. To consider every aspect of these new consoles, and how I expect things to actually play out when owning one.

Sony made a lot of mistakes with the PS3, price being the biggest, but there were many more that get less attention. From a user perspective the PS3 launched without a lot of software features the 360 had day one. Over time Sony improved things considerably, but here are some areas I still have concerns about, and frankly, the more I consider all of them, I begin to think the Xbox One might just be the one I buy first.

1) The light bar on the controller can't be turned off. Again, this could be a small thing to some, but to others like myself, who have newer tvs that are very reflective, it's a big concern. I sometimes notice the tiny red light on the dual shock 3 when playing my PS3 now. That big light bar on the dual shock 4? Oh, it's going to be noticeable. Sony had better figure this one out before launch, because it's gonna irritate a lot of people.

2) Still can't change your PSN ID name. Yes, this is a small thing to some, but for others it's a big annoyance, myself included. This was possible on the Xbox 360 the day it launched in 2005. Here we are 8 years later, and it's still not possible on PS3. Maybe it will be possible on PS4, but we have yet to hear about it.

3) Download speeds are still a problem for many of us. To put it simply, for many of us PSN download speeds are far slower than Xbox Live or Steam. Yes, some people seem to have fast speeds, maybe they're just lucky to be located near a server, but many of us experience rather mediocre speeds. I'm lucky that mine are just meh. Not terrible, but not great. Sure this could be improved with new servers, but Sony's had years now, and things really haven't changed. This is clearly something they need to work on, and I don't believe they've promised it will be anytime soon.

4) The PS3 store got redesigned for a third time, and usability regressed dramatically. To me this is a real problem and it happened so recently, and it's a pattern for Sony. Sometimes it feels like they don't learn from the past, and that concerns me for the future. This new store has a ridiculous boot up time, and using it is basically a pain in the ass. Yes, it looks prettier, but the old store was fine, and much faster.

5) Achievements are going to involve, but we've heard nothing about trophies. Like it or not achievements blew up last gen, and from everything we've heard so far, it sounds like Microsoft intends to push them even further with the XB1. Dynamic achievements, and special events where those who participate will receive a special unlock all sound like great ideas to me. Sony has said nothing on this front, and I wonder if they'll be left behind once again, trying to play catchup in this highly popular sub culture in gaming. On a side note, will trophies still have to be synced on PS4? They do on Vita, and it feels very old fashioned to have to manually do this when the 360 has been auto updating achievements in the cloud since 2005.

TL:DR
For everything Sony gets right, they get something else very wrong. They design this brilliant new controller that everyone says is a joy to hold and use, but then they stick a large lightbar on the top of it that will surely irritate a great many users. They redesign their PSN store and make it really pretty to look at, but the usability suffers greatly, to the point where people literally dread using it. They pimp day one digital downloads, but they still have pathetically long download speeds for many users, making buying large games less appealing.

I'm just concerned that as we saw in the previous gen, Microsoft is constantly looking forward, and always ensures that the basics are done right. I don't have that same confidence with Sony, and I hope they prove me wrong next gen, but I believe there are already early warning signs that things may not be as blissful as some are expecting come launch.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
A lot of us have been very excited about what we've seen from the PS4 so far. The most powerful next gen console by a good margin, a price $100 lower than the XB1, and no camera required to use the console.

However, I felt it was necessary in considering which console I buy this fall, to look at the big picture for a moment. To consider every aspect of these new consoles, and how I expect things to actually play out when owning one.

Sony made a lot of mistakes with the PS3, price being the biggest, but there were many more that get less attention. From a user perspective the PS3 launched without a lot of software features the 360 had day one. Over time Sony improved things considerably, but here are some areas I still have concern about, and frankly, the more I consider all of them, I begin to think the Xbox One might just be the one I buy first.

1) The light bar on the controller can't be turned off. Again, this could be a small thing to some, but to others like myself, who have newer tvs that are very reflective, it's a big concern. I sometimes notice the tiny red light on the dual shock 3 when playing my PS3 now. That big light bar on the dual shock 4? Oh, it's going to be noticeable. Sony had better figure this one out before launch, because it's gonna irritate a lot of people.

2) Still can't change your PSN ID name. Yes, this is a small thing to some, but for others it's a big annoyance, myself included. This was possible on the Xbox 360 the day it launched in 2005. Here we are 8 years later, and it's still not possible on PS3. Maybe it will be possible on PS4, but we have yet to hear about it.

3) Download speeds are still a problem for many of us. To put it simply, for many of us PSN download speeds are far slower than Xbox Live or Steam. Yes, some people seem to have fast speeds, maybe they're just lucky to be located near a server, but many of us experience rather mediocre speeds. I'm lucky that mine are just meh. Not terrible, but not great. Sure this could be improved with new servers, but Sony's had years now, and things really haven't changed. This is clearly something they need to work on, and I don't believe they've promised it will be anytime soon.

4) The PS3 store got redesigned for a third time, and usability regressed dramatically. To me this is a genuine sign of concern, and it's a pattern for Sony. Sometimes it feels like they don't learn from the past, and that concerns me for the future. This new store has a ridiculous boot up time, and using it is basically a pain in the ass. Yes, it looks prettier, but the old store was fine, and much faster.

TL:DR
For everything Sony gets right, they get something else very wrong. They design this brilliant new controller that everyone says is a joy to hold and use, but then they stick a large lightbar on the top of it that will surely irritate a great many users. They redesign their PSN store and make it really pretty to look at, but the usability suffers greatly, to the point where people literally dread using it. They pimp day one digital downloads, but they still have pathetically long download speeds for many users, making buying large games less appealing.

I'm just concerned that as we saw in the previous gen, Microsoft is constantly looking forward, and always ensures that the basics are done right. I don't have that same confidence with Sony, and I hope they prove me wrong next gen, but I believe there are already early warning signs that things may not be as blissful as some are expecting come launch.

1) It's been confirmed devs can do this and in the long run, a minor annoyance that can be remedied by electric tape or some other thing to cover up.

2) Didn't Yoshida or someone from Sony commented that they're thinking of letting people do this? I'm certain if this happens that it will involve a fee.

3) Use a cable and not WiFi. But yeah, it's slower compared to other services. Hopefully this gets fixed with PS4 online MP now requiring a fee.

I'm hoping more $$$ from PS+ means they can upgrade this part of their network.

Raymo

Is the problem with the PS store usability or poor performance? I thought it was poor performance.

If they slap that on PS4 and it runs so much faster without all the loading, is the store still a problem?

Edit: Also, it sounds like most of the problems except for the light bar are caused by lack of information rather than confirmed issues.

4) when you say the PS Store changed, I feel like it's a moo point, because it's a past decision, and if we bring up things like that we shouldn't be buying any of the consoles. I do agree however that making the ps store an app sucks.

I don't think you should worry too much about the store for next gen. Remember, they literally had to patch the PS Store into the PS3 after launch. It was not a core piece of software for the system, and, like trophies, still has its glitchy integrations to work out.

The Vita store is much, much faster because the system was designed from minute one with the Store in mind. Its trophies also take far less time to sync by comparison.

BigDug13

This doesn't seem like the kind of list of concerns to push someone towards a more expensive and weaker console with required camera but whatever. I do hope that all these concerns are addressed though.

I think those are legitimate concerns, but they're all minor ones relative to the competition. In fact, it probably speaks to the strength of the system that that's your list. Still, yeah, I hope they fix all four of those things.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As long as you can turn off those goddamn trophy notifications (like you can on the Vita) or opt out altogether, I'd say trophies will be vastly improved next gen.

... And all of those together IMO are still far worse than having advertising on the dashboard .... and taking that one step further ... how Microsoft 'added' that feature down the line - with no option to people who already had the console to say 'no thanks.'

Actually, as far as download speeds go, I just hope they keep the PS+ "patch stuff at 3AM" feature. That doesn't fix the issue of buying a new game on Tuesday and having to wait for it, but it sure is nice to never have to worry about turning on a game and sitting through patches (or a system update).

Acheteedo

My only concern is how loud the console is. I can tape over the light bar but blocking out that sound isn't really an option.

Dunkers92

I thought this was going to outline some serious issues that warrant complaints

None of the things you listed are deal breakers at all. At least for me anyway.

Edit: I do agree with the PSN store though, but it is far from unusable

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Expected some legit reasons why OP made this topic when entering, found none, then you end on "For everything Sony gets right, they get something else very wrong " hyperbole.

Dynamic achievements also sound absurdly gimmicky and just a way for pubs and devs to have gamers jump through hoops at command for doggy treats.

Is the problem with the PS store usability or poor performance? I thought it was poor performance.

If they slap that on PS4 and it runs so much faster without all the loading, is the store still a problem?

Edit: Also, it sounds like most of the problems except for the light bar are caused by lack of information rather than confirmed issues.

Yeah, the only real problem with the store now is that it's incredibly slow to launch due to being so detached from the XMB now, and it's extremely unresponsive when open. We already know this is resolved completely in both regards in PS4.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
new PS4 store sucks because the ps3 runs so slow because it's been patched so many times

As they've shown the OS at the reveal, it's much snappier and boots up lightspeeds quicker.

1) Meh, I've played with the Move a few times, I never ever noticed it reflecting. Plus developers can turn it off.

2) Good, if you're going to be a dick online, people should be able to recognize you forever. They should charge $50+ to change it though.

3) 80% of the problems are people using the shitty wi-fi adapter. Most times when they're asked to download a PSN file on a PC they get good speeds.
New hardware, no reason for concern.

4) Again, new hardware and built from the ground up, no reason for it to be slow, no reason for concern.

3 & 4 were already addressed multiple times in talks that one of the PS4s goals as it was developed was immediacy.

Imo only 1 & 2 are actually concerns, and not for alot of people.

1) Annoying, but could be easily fixed with a piece of electrical tape that won't leave a sticky mess on your controller after the fact.

2) Very annoying. I'm still holding out hope that they'll change this. Who knows though.

3) This shouldn't be an issue with the immediate playability of downloadable games.

4) We don't know what the PS Store will look like on the PS4 hardware do we? I'm hoping that with 1GB of RAM dedicated to the OS/Apps they'll be able to run a MUCH better storefront software than they currently are with PS3...

Just my $0.02 on your concerns. Obviously some of them will mean more to other people, but none of your 4 actually concern me.

OnPoint

Man, what a trivial list of problems. I think even if Sony doesn't fix that stuff they're still far and away the best system coming out.

USC-fan

Banned
If those really are the biggest problem with PS4, sony has hit it out of the park.

#FirstWorldProblems

3 & 4 are moot with the PC online store now. I do not even used the psn store unless im buying dlc ingame. One thing i owuld love if the auto download work as soon as I click buy on the PC online store. Not wait until 2am when it auto updates. That would be fucking awesome.

injurai

Banned
4. I think the power of the PS4 can handle a modernized Store interface. Speed isn't the issue, hopefully they get usability right though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My biggest worry? All of the actual direct feed screens of KZ:SF, which is by all means most complex/best looking next gen console game from which we've seen gameplay, have no Aniso Filtering. How and why? On my goddamn laptop which is far worse in terms of GPU and memory, when I enable 4x or even 8xAF, I don't think I lose a single frame of performance.

phierce

If that's all that we have wrong with the PS4, you've just made me want it even more than I already did...and I wasn't sure that was possible.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
If those trivial problems are your list of grievances, then Sony must be doing something right.
Yeah. 1 still makes me laugh a little. It's a dim light bar, not a flashlight. 2 is reasonable. 3 and 4 are reasonable as PS3 complaints but towards a new console they're slightly irrelevant. The PlayStation 3 still uses wireless G and the current store is a HTML5 webpage, for example.

4) when you say the PS Store changed, I feel like it's a moo point, because it's a past decision, and if we bring up things like that we shouldn't be buying any of the consoles. I do agree however that making the ps store an app sucks.

It's the sign of incompetence that concerns me. They had the PS3 store right, and then they chose to redesign it, and it got worse. That's just dumb. Someone higher up should have seen the new store and literally told them they're not launching it like it is, but no, that person up top gave it the green light, and now everyone is suffering the consequences.

Microsoft may be a little dirty, but they're competent. They get shit done and it works like it should. It may be that I value competence more than likeability.

I thought this was going to outline some serious issues that warrant complaints

None of the things you listed are deal breakers at all. At least for me anyway.

Edit: I do agree with the PSN store though, but it is far from unusable

To be honest I didn't want to go on and on, but yes, I have more concerns than I listed.

1) It shoudn't be hard to address that. Whether on their end, or yours.
2) Sure.
3) They are adding new servers constantly. One major reason why to their online paywall now.
4) The usability decreased because the PS3 has no memory for it. It's running HTML5 which should have zero issues of running on the PS4. They'd be able to change it a lot more easily as well.
5) Trophies are coming back.

TRios Zen

This gen, for me, the gaming experience on the PS3 and 360 were very similar, but the user experience was superior on the 360.

Next gen I would expect the user experience to still be superior on the One, but the gaming experience to be better on the PS4. At least that is how, based upon what we know, I expect things to play out.

I will eventually end up getting them both, so the only question is which do I get first?

coldfoot

Banned
PSN store on PS3 is actually looks great, only problem is that the PS3 CPU is too slow to run it. It's going to be integrated into the OS and the PS4 CPU, being traditional X86, should run it just fine.

Other problems are PSN related, which should improve with PS+ being required for MP, so more money.

Also LOL at the lightbar "problem".

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Man, what a trivial list of problems. I think even if Sony doesn't fix that stuff they're still far and away the best system coming out.

Yep. And as some people above us has said, this speaks volumes to how good Sony's been so far with the PS4 that these are the "notable" problems people have with it.

I honestly don't have a problem with any of 'em all, to be honest. I don't mind the light, not changing my PSN ID anytime soon, Download speed can be better but I'm hoping the PS4's new WiFi thing will amend that and PSN Store is serviceable enough for me that I don't notice it.

Putting it frankly, as someone who used my Xbox 360 as my primary "online" console before, Sony has caught up with them. Remember when people said Xbox Live trumps PSN? I used both extensively and I don't see a major difference aside from a few things. But enough to warrant $50? Nope.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't personally consider they way MS is going to push achievements further a good thing, but to each their own. I don't have any problem with Sony strictly being reactive in that area.

Sony has previously that the PSN Store's current setup on the PS3 isn't ideal. They don't want it to be a standalone app like it is now, and want it to become more integrated into the overall system experience. The store's regression on the PS3 is unfortunate but I think mostly reflects poor decisions made at the start of the PS3's life that have been largely addressed with the PS4.

Raymo

It's the sign of incompetence that concerns me. They had the PS3 store right, and then they chose to redesign it, and it got worse. That's just dumb. Someone higher up should have seen the new store and literally told them they're not launching it like it is, but no, that person up top gave it the green light, and now everyone is suffering the consequences.

Microsoft may be a little dirty, but they're competent. They get shit done and it works like it should. It may be that I value competence more than likeability.

I'm pretty sure they needed to evolve the store, though. The amount of features and content increased beyond what the old store could handle well. This store is also the framework for this PS4 version which should run perfectly. PS3 had issues like this due to low ram throughout its life.

Dug

Banned
2) Good, if you're going to be a dick online, people should be able to recognize you forever. They should charge $50+ to change it though.
You're joking right?

Also what if you don't like the name you started with and don't want to create a new account? What then?

slB6t.gif

:p

As for the complaint about changing your PSN id, you can always start clean with a new system. Nothing is forcing anyone to stick with their old id. I realize many want to keep their trophies, but digital content isn't moving along to PS4 from PS3 is it?

That said, I guess it is something that Sony should offer, even if it is fee-based.

The thing to keep in mind is Sony has had an entire generations worth of feedback about the usability of the PS3 from a OS point of view.

They hacked in many of the features that the Xbox 360 had into a system that was never designed to have them in the first place (and it shows).

PS4 already looks better in this regard so I'm not really worried about it. In fact they seemed to of had more foresight than Microsoft this time with the dedicated hardware for video capture and streaming. (I believe this is all done in software not hardware on Xbox One)?

If what you're saying is that Microsoft designed their console OS to be, first and foremost, a storefront, then I agree with you.

Top Bottom