• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects Watch Dogs to sell more than 6.2 million units

From the Ubisoft investor meeting today:

"What is true is that three months ago when we announced our results, we were kind of referencing that we, in our plan, we had built up Watch Dogs with expectation slightly below what Assassin's Creed 1 did when it was first released--and it was 6.2 million," a Ubisoft director said. "So after E3, what we said today was that we do feel that we can expect…slightly above the 6.2 million that Assassin's Creed did."

danielcw

Across all platforms it could happen.
So game is lucky to be a big hyped game on 2 new systems, wherer players won't have much choice.

EDIT: what's the timeframe?

Easily doable as one of the biggest next gen launch titles. They probably need to sell that much just to break even and then will make bank wit WD2

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On six platforms it's definitely doable. I actually figured they would be expecting higher based on how Ubi operates.

LTWood12

Considering the hype and positive press it's gotten for over the year, I don't think it's unreasonable. I wonder what the expectations were when it went into production.

They probably need that much just to consider the game a "success" with the way publishers have such ridiculous expectations these days.

Marcel

I'd like my boss to bring me a minecart full of gold bouillon on my birthday, but we don't always get what we want. 6 million is high for an untested IP. Not impossible, but a lot as a make or break kind of deal.

Bgamer90

Banned
Possible I guess due to how many systems it's coming out for.

Isn't this the game that Cliffy B was talking about? I think the number of the goal was the same.

Definitely doable across five platforms, three of which have very established user bases, and two of which will have users starved for new content. Surprised these numbers arent higher.

I cancelled my pre-order because I don't have faith in Ubisoft to deliver a quality open world experience if they plan this to be a franchise. I bet Watch Dogs will just be a mindless mission grind with an open world that nobody cares about.

kewlmyc

One of the most looked at games for the new console generation. They could pull it off since it's a launch title.

Bladenic

Given that its on so many platforms, that figure really isn't that ludicrous at all. I fully expect them to reach it and probably surpass it.

Frodo

Ubi is learning with Squeenix how to project sales.

But I guess they can make it, tbh. But, still...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As long as the reviews hold up okay I don't see why it wouldn't.

Now if the game releases and gets horrid reviews, then the game will probably undersell.

I hope it's good and I hope it does well. But, man, 6.2 million for a new IP seems like a crazy goal. The type of crazy goal that they will blame us, used games, piracy, etc when they don't hit it.

But they have all the buzz in the world right now, to the point of overkill, so best of luck to them. I don't like the Assassin's Creed games (which I hereby vote to rename "Run to the diamond on your HUD!") very much because of the extreme amount of handholding. I sometimes get the vibe that this is going to play like AC in a modern city. I hope that isn't the case.

Top Bottom