• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASDA no longer stocking/selling the Wii U in stores, won't restock this year

Nibel

Update: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/asda-we-still-support-nintendo-despite-wii-u-drop/0119311

Will stock online, won't stock in stores, and no plans to restock it in stores this year. Out of stock online due to a price promotion.

They will still sell the 3DS online however, but it's out of stock due to a price promotion.

---

Understand if old

Retail giant Asda is no longer stocking Wii U consoles across its 555 retail outlets, dealing a new blow to Nintendo's bid to reverse the console's fortunes.

The grocer, Britain's second-largest, has suspended stock on all Wii U games, consoles and accessories across its stores, though eight products (all released during the Wii U's November 2012 launch) remain available on the Asda Direct website.

CVG understands that the company did not stock Nintendo's latest release, Pikmin 3, a widely acclaimed title which entered at number two on the UK all formats charts.

More at the Source (CVG)

iyPEhFqtwCBtO.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
andherewego.gif

Still, stupid to not even stock Pikmin 3 XD

Prine

Banned
Damn! Not even Pikmin? If i need a game on the day, and having the postman fail me, I always run to my local Asda! Bought Bioshock from there as an impulse buy not so long ago.

These stores are open 24 hours. Perfect for on the day purchases

Not a good sign for Nintendo. Where one supermarket goes, the others will likely follow. Nintendo to pull their thumb out of their arse and go on the offensive. Drop the price, drop the basic, massive ad campaign and ensure they have a steady flow of releases.

It still boggles my mind that they didn't have more releases lined up. What in blue the hell were they doing for the past two+ years because it sure as hell wasn't working on Wii titles.

The retailer is not stocking 3DS systems online either - despite the handheld outselling the Xbox 360 and PS3 in the UK and across the US, while 3DS software sales are outperforming the competition too.

They aren't even selling the 3DS!

Oh damn...
I just got a Wii U a month ago(for a bargain) but I hope it wasnt a mistake now...
Reminding me of the days when the Gamecube went from $350 in my country to $100... Begining of the end? :(, Soon after, they stopped selling it entirely.

Sadist

Not a good sign for Nintendo. Where one supermarket goes, the others will likely follow. Nintendo to pull their thumb out of their arse and go on the offensive. Drop the price, drop the basic, massive ad campaign and ensure they have a steady flow of releases.

It still boggles my mind that they didn't have more releases lined up. What in blue the hell were they doing for the past two+ years because it sure as hell wasn't working on Wii titles.
3DS happened.

Big news. Asda is a haven for your typical educated UK gamer. Not.
They should just stock COD and FIFA and be done with it.

They couldn't wait for the fall lineup and holiday season? Damn.

Sales were just *that* bad that ASDA / Walmart decided it wasn't economical to continue to stock the systems.

That is, the projected lull in pushing inventory in non-holiday seasons was so great that ASDA / Walmart would rather suspend stock entirely for the forseeable future than role the dice.

Now supposing the system hits a stroke of fortune and consistently sells tons of units, I'm sure the retailer would love to restock.

It's all contingent on the success of the Wii U console in PAL territories this holiday.

Similar story here in NZ.

Barely any shops stock the WII U. Dick Smith, a relatively big national wide consumer electronic shop discontinued stocking the WII U about 2 months ago.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
wiiU bundle with a 10 year old game is gonna sell like crazy!

In all seriousness, when a fanbase is desperate for games, they will buy anything. Especially if they somehow only have a WiiU to fulfill their gaming needs. Good thing I'm not one of those since the SW is situation is atrocious on WiiU.

Similar story here in NZ.

Barely any shops stock the WII U. Dick Smith, a relatively big national wide consumer electronic shop discontinued stocking the WII U about 2 months ago.

Dick Smith is a pimp like name.

Top Bottom