• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE SummerSlam 2013 |OT| The Spontaneous Combustion of Bryan Danielson & Cena Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
summerslamg3oiy.png

WrassleGAF proudly presents: WWE SummerSlam 2013, live on PPV from Los Angeles on August 18th.

As we head into SummerSlam, let us recap what has happened over the past month.

Daniel Bryan became the #1 Contender for the WWE Championship
After spending most of the spring becoming a legitimate unbeatable badass by defeating the likes of Orton and Sheamus clean and dominating the Money in the Bank Ladder Match at last month’s pay-per-view. Bryan has officially won over the last marks in the crowd and has become one of the most over people in a long while. WWE took a gamble and had John Cena handpick his opponent for SummerSlam, hoping the Brooklyn crowd would spend the entire Raw begging for Daniel Bryan to be picked. Here’s how that worked out for them.

Mr. McMahon wants Daniel Bryan and John Cena to spontaneously combust
In a bizarre turn of events after 10 years of non-stop John Cena title wins, Mr. McMahon has decided he no longer likes the current champion John Cena, because… Well, I’m not really sure why, but he’s pretty passionate about it none-the-less. Problem is, Cena chose the one guy Mr. McMahon hates even more, Vegan Homeless Man Daniel Bryan. This has caused quite the dilemma as it has driven a rift between Vince and son-in-law and prospected man to take over WWE after Vince retires, Triple H. Who knows what shenanigans this will lead to, but if it was up to McMahon, at SummerSlam, we’ll see the two wrestlers spontaneously combust into little particles and never to be seen or heard of again. Well, that would be something.

The Wyatt Family debut and destroy the Devil’s Favorite Demon
In the best debut of a new set of characters in years, Bray Wyatt and his cult-like family consisting of strongmen Luke Harper and Eric Rowan made an impact the Monday before Money in the Bank, Taking out Kane and effectively benching him for the ladder match that Sunday. Soulplaya and Nocturnowl cried many tears that night, while the rest of us rejoiced at the arrival of Wyatt. The next weeks consisted of Wyatt consistenly calling out the monster Kane, claiming he was nothing compared to the EATER OF WORLDS himself, leaving Kane no other option than to challenge Wyatt to a match at SummerSlam, in a ring of fire! Although unannounced as of yet, this likely means an Inferno Match.

Randy Orton became the WWE Title Money in the Bank winner
Randy Orton was victorious in securing the WWE Money in the Bank briefcase, giving him a chance to cash in and get a title match for the WWE Title at any given moment. Rumors are abound as to when he will cash in his contract, but given the brutal match Daniel Bryan and John Cena will undoubtedly have, it might be as soon as SummerSlam.

Paul Heyman breaks up with CM Punk
After Punk told Heyman they were still going to be the best of friends, but kindly told him to piss off as his manager, Heyman executed his wrath by attacking Punk at Money in the Bank, costing him the match and giving him 14 stitches on the top of his head. Now bitter enemies, Punk is on a quest to destroy Punk and his lackey Curtis Axel. But lo and behold, that other Heyman guy, The Beast Brock Lesnar came and destroyed Punk on his manager’s behalf. But this is Punk we’re talking about and Punk is not backing down. Continuing to target Heyman, they iniatiated a red hot feud that involved a lot of great verbal exchanges and even better brawls, all working up to SummerSlam’s The Best vs. The Beast match.

Cody Rhodes is screwed out of the World Heavyweight Championship Money in the Bank contract
Cody Rhodes was on fire in the World Heavyweight Championship MITB match, taking out everyone in the match except his tag-team partner Damien Sandow in quick succession. He scaled the ladder towards the briefcase, but out comes Damien Sandow, cleverly hiding near the announcers desk for most of the match, to knock him off the ladder and grab the briefcase himself. Securing the WHC contract. Cody displeased by this, was offered an olive branch by Damien Sandow, who was generously offering to name him Protector of the Case in return for screwing him out of the title opportunity. Naturally Cody didn’t take kindly to this and proceeded to take this role in earnest and kept the case for an entire night on Smackdown two weeks ago… Only to end up drowning the case into the Gulf of Mexico. This past Monday on Raw, Cody retrieved the briefcase, but took out the contract. Sandow, having had enough, challenged Cody to a match at SummerSlam, hoping to settle the score once and for all. The fate of the contract however, is as of this point, unknown.

Dolph Ziggler breaks up with AJ Lee and Big E
After losing his World Heavyweight title match due to some unfortunate and unnecessary interference, Dolph Ziggler unceremoniously dumped now ex-girlfriend AJ Lee in passing on Monday Night Raw. This displeased former third wheel Big E Langston, who stuck by as AJ Lee once again lost her marbles and went on a personal vendetta against Ziggler. Ziggler, on the other hand, found an unlikely ally in former best friend to AJ, Kaitlyn, who has her own bone to pick with AJ Lee. Where this will lead we do not yet know, but a mixed tag-team match between the four at SummerSlam is likely.

Christian becomes #1 Contender to the World Heavyweight Title
Alberto Del Rio is back to his dastardly ways, even going so far as to beat up his former best friend and personal ring announcer Ricardo Rodriguez on Raw. But have no fear, as former two-time Heavyweight Champion, successfully bested Rob van Dam and Randy Orton in a #1 Contenders Match and will challenge the Mexican Aristocrat for his title at SummerSlam.

So now that you’re all caught up, here’s the line-up as it has been announced as of Friday Night Smackdown on August 10th:
20130812_light_summerslam_tripleh_C-homepage.jpg

WWE Championship: John Cena (c) vs. Daniel Bryan with special guest referee Triple H

20130729_summerslam_HOMEPAGE_punk-brock.jpg

The Best versus The Beast: CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar

20130731_RioChristian_summerslam_HOMEPAGE.jpg

World Heavyweight Championship: Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. Christian

20130815_summerslam_LIGHT_kanewyatt_C-homepage2.jpg

Ring of Fire Match: Kane vs Bray Wyatt

20130805_summerslam_Rhodes_Sandow_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow

20130807_LIGHT_SS_mixedtag_C.jpg

Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn vs. Big E Langston & AJ

20130812_light_summerslam_brie-natalya_C-homepage.jpg

Natalya vs. Brie Bella

20130812_summerslam_KickOff_Ambrose_RVD_HOMEPAGE_Sunday.jpg

Pre-Show US Championship Match: Dean Ambrose (c) vs. RVD

The History of SummerSlam
As we prepare for the 26th SummerSlam, let’s take a look at some great SummerSlam matches of the past:
-1991, Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect for the Intercontinental Title
-1992, The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith vs. Bret “The Hitman” Hart for the IC title
-1992, Macho Man Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior for the WWF Title
-1994, Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart in a Steel Cage
-1995, Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels in a Ladder Match for the IC Title
-1998, Triple H vs. The Rock in a Ladder Match for the IC Title
-1999, Triple H vs. Mankind vs. Stone Cold Steave Austin for the WWF Title
-2000, Christian & Edge vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudleys in a TLC match for the WWF Tag-Team Titles
-2000, Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit in a 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match
-2000, Kurt Angle vs. Triple H vs. The Rock for the WWF Title
-2001, Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy in a Hardcore Title Ladder Match
-2001, Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWF Title
-2002, Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H in a Street Fight
-2004, Kurt Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero
-2005, Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio in a Ladder Match for the Fathership of Rey Mysterio’s son Dominick
-2008, John Cena vs. Batista
-2008, The Undertaker vs. Edge in a Hell in a Cell Match
-2009, CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy in a TLC WHC Match
-2011, Randy Orton vs. Christian in a No Holds Barred WHC Match
-2011, CM Punk vs. John Cena in a Undisputed WWE Title Match

Sid

Kane Vs Wyatt has the worst lead-up.Where were all those cool magic tricks and flame combustion and shit?

MechDX

Havent been into wrestling for a few years now but I heard the talk of Sting to the WWE. Anymore come of this? Chances to appear here?

Aiii

So not worth it
Sting's contract with TNA isn't up until January, and I doubt we'll ever see him in WWE unless it's for a Hall of Fame induction after he retires.

Havent been into wrestling for a few years now but I heard the talk of Sting to the WWE. Anymore come of this? Chances to appear here?

Slim to none. Sting to WWE rumours come up every year and, should anything ever happen, it'll be a Hall of Fame/WrestleMania deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wait Christian is in a championship match? At Summerslam? Why the fuck? Nobody cares about face Christian at all. The only thing hes good at is being a smarmy heel and he can't even do that against Del Rio.

Really looking forward to Punk vs Lesnar. Most interesting story in the WWE right now by far.

It's classic wrestling booking at it's best. Last night was perfect: the tenacious good guy standing up to the monster heel, getting within an inch of giving the fat, weak manager his comeuppance, only to get demolished. This is the kind of stuff that drove me nuts as a kid, you'd want to see the manager (your Harvey Whipplemans and Jim Cornettes and whatnot back then) get a beating so bad and they always seemed to escape. It was so worth it when they finally had nowhere to run.

I hope this feud goes on for a couple months at least.

For those not following the build very strongly the WWE title changing hands is almost guaranteed. This angle is tremendously built up, Bryan is getting a massive push and is opposed by Vince in the storyline just like CM Punk when he won his first WWE title at MITB 2011.

Of course Orton very likely could cash in at Summerslam and turn heel making two WWE title changes possible.

I'm seriously considering ordering my first WWE PPV in over a decade to add to the Bryan buyrate. Plus Punk vs Lesnar should be really fun as well.

Wait Christian is in a championship match? At Summerslam? Why the fuck? Nobody cares about face Christian at all. The only thing hes good at is being a smarmy heel and he can't even do that against Del Rio.
This is his swan song. He desrved those two championships, brahs cared about him.

Aiii

So not worth it
Of course Orton very likely could cash in at Summerslam and turn heel making two WWE title changes possible.

I dunno, I feel there's a good chance Bryan is winning, Vince will come out with Orton for the cash in and Bryan will win that match as well, giving him a Jericho-like push of beating the two top guys in one night.

Marvel

could never
I dunno, I feel there's a good chance Bryan is winning, Vince will come out with Orton for the cash in and Bryan will win that match as well, giving him a Jericho-like push of beating the two top guys in one night.

That would be insanely good. As for Christian, he hasn't missed a step though I do wish he'd go back to a Heel, he does it so well.

Kaladin

Summerslam > Wrestlemania this year. I have a feeling this will be the new trend if they keep forcing part timers on Mania.

Slizz

This thread was worth clicking for the classic Summerslam videos alone. Been watching '95 Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Summerslam > Wrestlemania this year. I have a feeling this will be the new trend if they keep forcing part timers on Mania.

But I feel like thats the only reason to even watch WM. The Taker match is like the best match at WM pretty much every year.

until next year when cena wins.

I'm seriously considering ordering my first WWE PPV in over a decade to add to the Bryan buyrate. Plus Punk vs Lesnar should be really fun as well.

I've already told my wrasslin friends that I'm ordering it and we'll have a good old Summerfest party. My one buddy has a few of the replica belts, that as grown men, we will pass around the room and admire.

Aiii

So not worth it
So Bryan gets Rey Mysterio'd.

No, think about it. Bryan would be even more over and Orton would get the biggest heat possible after being such a beloved babyface for so long. Bryan chasing and finally winning the title at Survivor Series from Orton would bring the biggest reaction since Punk in 2011.

No matter how they play it, win or lose, if Bryan beats Cena and the cash-in happens it's gonna be a good thing for Bryan.

Penguin

I think the biggest problem ESPECIALLY this year's Mania was almost all the main events were fairly predictable because of all the rematches and stories trying to tell.

Going into this, I feel like almost all of the matches could go either way or a different way. And that's ultimately what makes a PPV live so exciting to me.

joelseph

Good OP, small typo "Punk is on a quest to destroy Punk and his lackey Curtis Axel."

--

Christen is such a turd. Will watch for Wyatt.

Showaddy

Apparently the Kane/Wyatt match isn't actually an Inferno Match but literally a Ring of Fire match. As in it's a standard match with pinfall but with the ring surrounded by flames.

Shit man I don't follow wrestling at all, but Alberto del rio is the best face ever. They turned him heel again though which is bullshit. That guy deserves better

fader

Only if he's going to replace it with an eyepatch or something. He should always have something weird on his face that should diminish his beauty, but instead makes him just more interesting.

hes a face though, he shouldnt have anything goofy on him

Penguin

Actually, I imagine they ditched the Henry/Show vs Shield match... why not do Henry/Usos vs Shield again?

And Orton has no match... a lot of people gonna be hanging out

Also seems may do AJ/Big E vs Ziggler/Katlyin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom