• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Amazon's new game console is core oriented, Amazon snapping up game devs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update: For an an analysis of the rumored internals, head to the new thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648655

----

In case the bottom tweet confuses you, STB stands for set top box.

kindlecore71jlx.png

Source: https://twitter.com/supererogatory

Pikma

Banned
Wow, where is this coming from? It takes me completely by surprise, but I would be all over it, if done right of course.

luffeN

Wasn't there another rumour that it is going to be an Android console? If so, can games on Android look as good as on PS4 if the hardware is right?

denx

So we should add the Amazon console and the Steambox to the console war then?

Can the market even support 5 competitors?

apana

It will most likely fail but if successful how will a powerful core oriented console exist alongside PS4 and Xbox? I don't know if even those two companies can keep splitting up the pie over the long term.

Eusis

Huh.

Gotta see them unveil it before I can even get a feel for it, right now it's similar to Microsoft and their X-Box pre-reveal. The Kindle Fire makes me think it COULD at least have a strong release, but whether that can keep going is another matter.

So its basically piggy backing on MS, will be a cheaper option sort of similar to how Kindle is to Tablets.

Will be interesting where it goes, it's gonna need a decent library of games and specs to support.

it's probably gonna be a souped up OUYA with higher-end indie games. doubt it's gonna get a COD or A. Creed main entries.

ST2K

It's still going to be mobile games stuff though, right? I'm not quite sure how well that synthesizes with the "core" gaming base.

Lumyst

Square Enix? Prerendered Assets? (Kidding. No connection.) Interested in the power level and whether it is all digital/downloaded games though.

Cloud gaming box? I guess it's worth to try for Amazon, Google and Apple, they all have server side muscle to give it a shot. First company to gain a large userbase is going to potentially make a lot of money...

zhorkat

"Our games span from real-time next gen graphics to pre-rendered assets"

I don't know if that displays a lack of knowledge about video games or a perfect understanding of the state of the games industry.

EDIT: Scratch that. It's a position for an artist. Anyways, I somehow doubt that even if they make a core oriented console that it will compete in the same power and price range as the Xbox One and Playstation 4.

boinx

Sounds kinda like BS to me. I don't think they could succeed when their competition is Sony, Xbox and Nintendo, all more widely known brands than Amazon.

Wow, very interesting indeed.

Given the amount of investment Amazon has made into cloud computing I hope it's not some kind of OnLive-like game streaming device.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly can't fathom how they'd fit into the market, but hey, here's hoping for a positive surprise.

Acheteedo

Some people hate Sony, some people hate Microsoft, some people hate Nintendo, some people hate Apple...

But everyone loves Amazon.

Haha, true that.

Hmm, not sure what to make of this. Only an Oculus-oriented angle would be a game changer for me. I'm already £1000 invested in next gen consoles, don't want or need another one.

Shaanyboi

Banned
If they do something really unique and cool... sure.

But I don't know that a Kindle is an appropriate stepping stone to game console...

This will be fascinating if there is any validity to these rumours.

I hope this doesn't do badly for them... I like them too much.

The M.O.B

Wasn't there another rumour that it is going to be an Android console? If so, can games on Android look as good as on PS4 if the hardware is right?

Most android devices are small phones or thin tables, if this is an actual box then it should have way more power than any android device before it. That is if Amazon is pushing for more "core" experiences.

Plus UE4 is on Android so anything is possible.

If its some kind of gaming HTPC with amazons market leading pricing when it comes to there hardware then that could cause some waves.

Would it even be possible to make a decent gaming box and sell it for cheaper then a PS4 but also lock the ecosystem down enough that the use cant just side load steam and not buy amazon games to offset the cost of cheaper hardware?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Asking developers to include controller support, to have an instant library" strongly suggests android doesn't it? I.e adding controller support to touch games.

Which means - even if they go top end mobile you're still looking at ouya type stuff. Anything more and you need to develop specifically for it (which it also sounds like they are doing)

Top Bottom