• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Impressions from the show floor.

Kinan

Got back from the conference, rather tired, quick first impressions:

Played/watched almost all what PS4 has to offer. Killzone and Infamous were off-hands demos, Driveclub, Knack, Resogun, AC4, War Thunder played myself.

1. Killzone looks as good as latest trailers/screens suggest. Sometimes I felt there is too much flare in the picture, but thats only nitpick I can come out with. Clearly next-gen title, and openness of the gameplay really elevate it above KZ2/3. OWL is awesome, if somewhat overpowered.
2. Infamous looks better than any media I have seen on that title. Just phenomenal. Before the gameplay demo a trailer was playing, and it was looking rather average due to compression, probably, but than game started and wow. Textures are crisp, particles are flying, framerate seemed quite stable, a lot of dynamic object destruction and creation. Definitely most impressive PS4 title so far, looks to be sure must buy.
3. Knack looks fine, but somewhat stale, probably due to quite static backdrops. Beat most demo levels, my 8 yo son will love it. Still no puzzles in sight, which is a bummer, hopefully there will be some in the full game.
4. Resogun is awesome twin stick shooter, Housemarque went all out with particle effects and explosions, the picture is crisp, framerate is perfect, and I like cylinder more than the sphere of SSHD, much easier on my brain. :)
5. AC4 on PS4 looks good, like high end PC versions of ACs. High resolution really helps to improve IQ. There were few hiccups and framerate drops, but the demo was more than playable. Couldnt figure out the naval battle controls quick enough and my ship was destroyed on my first try. :)
6. War Thunder is really making a big deal from being a launch title on PS4. Looks like an average F2P MMO on a good PC, but I can see it being rather fun. Skill tree for planes reminded me about World of Warplanes, will see how this fight will go on.

Among other stuff, played PES on PS3 - it looks like crap. So low-res it hurts, really disappointing. FIFA looks more or less the same.

PS4 Camera is tiny. Really small.

Kinect2 works much better than the old one. Still some lag, but for many games its working good enough, I would say.

Took few videos but most of them turn out to be not that good in quality. Have one video of demo station booting up, took ~40s to game menu.

Ok guy, now post your impressions. I go to bed, work tomorrow :)

Kinan

Driveclub thoughts anyone?

Bah, did I miss it? Right.

Driveclub looks very good. Graphically you can not really complain, this looked better than GT6 on PS3 across the hall, no doubt. The cosmetic damage is in, scratches and deformations look good. There is a lot of stuff happening beyond the track. I did not completely get controls, they are not arcadey and not really simulation. Hard to get used to. But I see how the challenges can be fun when playing with friends. Glad that this will be in PS+ offering so I do not need to decide about buying it now.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
destruction and creation. Definitely most impressive PS4 title so far, looks to be sure must bye.

I know that feel, shit like that happens to me all the time. :p

nib95

Banned
Bah, did I miss it? Right.

Driveclub looks very good. Graphically you can not really complain, this looked better than GT6 on PS3 across the hall, no doubt. The cosmetic damage is in, scratches and deformations look good. There is a lot of stuff happening beyond the track. I did not completely get controls, they are not arcadey and not really simulation. Hard to get used to. But I see how the challenges can be fun when playing with friends. Glad that this will be in PS+ offering so I do not need to decide about buying it now.

Sounds good.

Kinan

btw, no-deadzone DS4 is godly. Especially for racing, really noticed that in Driveclub, as well as proper R2. :)

GlamFM

Banned
Just came home from a long day at gamescom.
Very exhausting..

Played:

Forza 5
Drive Club
The Crew
Assassins Creed 4
Need for speed
Knack
Elder Scrolls online

Also saw Destiny being played.

New Controllers are great - PS4 controller is my favorite out of the 2.

Posted some Drive Club impressions in the driveclub thread.

Overall i had the most fun with Assassins Creed.

BadWolf

Very exhausting..

Played:

Forza 5
Drive Club
The Crew
Assassins Creed 4
Need for speed
Knack
Elder Scrolls online

What did you prefer in the PS4 controller over the X1's?

dan2026

5. AC4 on PS4 looks good, like high end PC versions of ACs. High resolution really helps to improve IQ. There were few hiccups and framerate drops, but the demo was more than playable.

So its AC on console then.

Framerate issues ahoy!

Infamous looks better than any media I have seen on that title.
SZZWIwV.gif

40 seconds seems good. I haven't timed the current time it takes from boot to game menu, but I'm pretty sure it's about that/slightly longer depending on the game.

Interested to hear more about the differences in controllers. Glam, can you go into detail as to why did you prefer the PS4 controller?

GlamFM

Banned
What did you prefer in the PS4 controller over the X1's?

Overall size, sticks and buttons.

Xbox controller has amazing triggers though.
But for some reason I think they made it a little smaller. Sticks are also smaller and shorter.

Very exhausting..

Played:

Forza 5
Drive Club
The Crew
Assassins Creed 4
Need for speed
Knack
Elder Scrolls online

What platform?

Overall size, sticks and buttons.

Xbox controller has amazing triggers though.
But for some reason I think they made it a little smaller. Sticks are also smaller and shorter.

Huh, surprised they made the sticks smaller. They were perfect on the current controller. Ah well, were you able to experience the impulse triggers?

Spitz

I was a little bit disappointed from the Xbox One controller and loved the Dualshock 4 controller from the first touch. That comes from a so called Xbox Fanboy. I preordered both console's and will keep it that way but the Ds4 feels ace. The Xbox One Controller has bad lb rb buttons and the analog sticks are to loose like the DS3 ones. But I liked the Ryse Coop Gameplay it looked ace and was fun. The first game on the Xbox One was Lococycle :).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
They tried to sell it to me as the PS4 version - I used a PS4 controller - but I could see the pc it was plugged into hidden in a box ;)

Why the fuck? the console comes out in just a few months.

Very exhausting..

Played:

Forza 5
Drive Club
The Crew
Assassins Creed 4
Need for speed
Knack
Elder Scrolls online

Thoughts on ESO?

GlamFM

Banned
Rumble triggers on X1 are great. Almost dropped my controller the first time I hit a curb in Forzaz

b0bbyJ03

keep this thread going. i want as much info as possible. how did the ds4 first feel when you touched it? did it smell good? did your fingers tingle?

Rumble triggers on X1 are great. Almost dropped my controller the first time I hit a curb in Forzaz

Wait, the rumble triggers are enabled? I thought they weren't in demos yet. More impressions please! They sound awesome. Can't wait to try them for myself.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How do your index fingers lay on the DS4? On all the previous Dualshocks, they naturally rested on R1/L1. Same with the DS4?

Top Bottom